Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    VA is slower than IPS

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    VA is slower than IPS
    You are right, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post

Curious if IPS will cure my woes, as they appear to be the most recommended, or try potentially a least known VA panel. Generalizing though, I'm thinking I should just go with the largest 1440p GSYNC monitor I can find.
    Didnt read the usual 3 pages but it all comes down to how much money you want to spend now and the future, i saw you are basically decided on the 1440p which is the correct choice hence, fine there

After that, its literally what you are gonna do with the monitor most of the time.

IPS = I am gonna watch a ton of things and work on here generally i am gonna spend a few hours a day on this monitor, and i will launch a game too, i am not 20 years old anymore to pretend 2-6ms of extra input lag in my games is the reason i am losing and i can afford it.

VA = I want IPS but i dont have 700$/E to spend so the lower cost VA panel will do while pretending i am doing it for the response time , and oh better black, but reality is i cant afford an IPS.

TN = I dont wanna spend a fortune on a monitor and i am gonna game most of the time either way, washed out colors dont bother me, and the secondary version of the usual poser gamer 1MS AND INPUT LAG IS THE BEST, ITS THE REASON MINECRAFT LOOKS SO AWEZOMEZ.

You can afford the IPS/1440p/G-sync/27 inch, you go for the IPS then, its really that simple.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-12-18 at 10:05 PM.

I was in the same boat recently. I wanted 1440p, 144hz, IPS and gsync. I was tempted to go with a far cheaper TN but ultimately knew i would regret it for years to come. Don't compromise a couple hundred bucks on something that's going to last you 10 years.

But it isnt that simple, IPS response times feel TERRIBLE compared to TN.

I know more than a handful of people that bought and returned the 700 dollar acer ips screens for the dells, its no different than getting used to 144hz monitors and trying to go back to to 60hz.....just on a smaller scale.

Also, these high end TN's have no problem with viewing angles if you are sitting at your PC like a normal person. In fact even at extreme angles its not even that bad.

This guy is literally the pickiest reviewer ive ever seen, and is a good example of why you look at each product individually and not dismiss it because it has the words twisted nemantic on the spec sheet:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT6HOJzKj08

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    That would depend on the persons definition of "fine", check this out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsB8MPVnBoY#t=3m25s

A core i5 8400 is getting 75% more fps than a 7600k here, and the 7600k is clocked higher. Cores are actually starting to matter big time and 4c 4t serious bottlenecks. Just look at that massive step up in fps for anything above the 7600k on that chart. You didnt make a bad purchase in 2015 because no one knew what ryzen would be then, 7600k buyers on the other hand i feel really awful for.

BF5 is obviously a stand out example, but that is what games are trending towards. Heck even WoW got a multicore patch.
    Multicore support is not trending.... like every year there are some games that support it but most dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Multicore support is not trending.... like every year there are some games that support it but most dont.
    Objectively false. MULTITHREADING is something that shows smaller portions of support, most modern (within the last 10 years) provide MULTICORE support in 4+ cores.

Hell, even WoW is pretty well Multicore supportive now. It utilizes all 6 of my cores about equally.

that acer 27" with the IPS panel is a really good one

I think that is the 144hz model i have as well, i freaking love it

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Objectively false. MULTITHREADING is something that shows smaller portions of support, most modern (within the last 10 years) provide MULTICORE support in 4+ cores.

Hell, even WoW is pretty well Multicore supportive now. It utilizes all 6 of my cores about equally.
    I mean that 4-6 Cores are now standard and that 8-16+ Cores dont get supported.
    Multicore works just to certain degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    I mean that 4-6 Cores are now standard and that 8-16+ Cores dont get supported.
    Multicore works just to certain degree.
    That's better stated then, and I agree on that. Most games don't support huge core counts.

I have a ASUS ROG PG279Q and love it. bought it 2 days after i got my 1080 and realized it was complete overkill for 1080p gaming. no regrets the monitor is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by karrad View Post
    I have a ASUS ROG PG279Q and love it. bought it 2 days after i got my 1080 and realized it was complete overkill for 1080p gaming. no regrets the monitor is beautiful
    gsync premiums man, wish nVidia would figure out a way that doesn't jack their monitors up 200 bucks. My wife would love a gsync monitor but I can't see spending that much extra.

As CES is happening I figured I'd bump this thread and ask an opinion of the ASUS VA panels that were announced. After researching, and considering the responses to this thread I was curious on your thoughts regarding the below. For those unaware, ASUS announced 3 new VA monitors with HDR support: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13790...9inch-displays

We don't know pricing yet, however assuming they are FreeSync and VA type panels, the price may be manageable. 43 and 49 inch monitors become TVs at that point and I see the draw with these as monitor manufacturers are capitalizing on Living Room gaming and catering to the console generation; however, the 3rd monitor has me interested. Here are the specs:

Size: 31.5
    VA Panel 1800 R Curved
    Color: P3-D65 94%
    Brightness: 450 nits
    Response time: 4ms
    1440p
    144hz refresh
    Freesync 2
    DisplayHDR 400

The response time had me intrigued as VA is expected to be a slower panel, but appears faster than some IPS standards. Additionally am curious your thoughts on if including HDR would introduce color in a way that's reminiscent of an IPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    The specs look good but as with any monitor it's impossible to say how good they are before a capable reviewer has gotten their hands on one.

As for your thoughts about HDR: There's nothing technically superior about color reproduction on an IPS panel compared to VA, IPS panels tend to have better color accuracy though because VA panels start to color shift slightly when the pixels aren't viewed from directly in front, not nearly as bad as TN panels but good IPS panels have pretty much zero color shifting.
    VA panels strike back with much better contrast ratios. HDR further improves contrast and color range and things like that so it kinda plays to what are already the strengths of a VA panel. In a way I'd say that a IPS panel + HDR is reminiscent of a VA panel in a best case scenario where as a VA panel + HDR is like a "boosted" VA panel.

I would suggest waiting and saving cash and skipping the card... But thats me ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I would suggest waiting and saving cash and skipping the card... But thats me ^_^
    You might be right. But I decided to go with a monitor upgrade/downgrade afterall. I went with a Dell 34 Curved, 1440p IPS, 120 with Gsync to replace my 4k plain Jane TN panel. It was pricey, but on sale at over $300USD off thanks to Dell honoring Newegg's price. Playing at 1440p natively as opposed to down-scaling while streaming will give better options for video cards in the future.

I'm rocking a 1080, which is almost even with the 2070 in terms of performance. But, Nvidia DLSS may prove promising as shown in several new benchmarks, giving me a solid 60fps+ in 1440 games if I decide to go that route. It also gives me time to see what AMD has up their sleeves, assuming they announce their 7nm Vega II inbound for the middle of the year.
    Last edited by Erous; 2019-01-09 at 04:41 PM.

The response time had me intrigued as VA is expected to be a slower panel, but appears faster than some IPS standards. Additionally am curious your thoughts on if including HDR would introduce color in a way that's reminiscent of an IPS.
    Virtually guaranteed the real response time of a VA panel is greater than 10ms.

VA already kicks everything's ass in contrast, the HDR will make them peerless really. That is after all what they are good at.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

IPS - Slower. More vibrant, viewing angle trouble. Bleed.
    IPS have the best viewing angles.

The 2600x is no slouch man. My god..should of known that before even buying it by now....but I need a scope again...I did want to look/and a few units
    another one I do want to look at and would really like to look at it in a year or two.
    and yeah the 7700k/and the EVGA is fine still...

My goddd lol

You got to show People shit again...lol

Useful maybe to fix the abomination going on in the basement too lol.

I found some cheap one similar to what id remembered man...they use to have those little portable ones and PC based etc.
    Last edited by JRZoid; 2019-01-12 at 02:42 AM.