Finally time to put my 2500k machine to rest... I think lol

Haven't paid any attention to PC parts for the better part of... FOREVER! Been doing some quick lookin around and have thrown this together. I want to get away from my huge HAF X and go with a much smaller build, but not quite the micro size (I do like a bit of show).

I don't plan on doing a lot of graphic intensive gaming nor do I care about the best FR possible honestly. I just want to run most games smoothly enough to enjoy them. I have considered stepping down to a 1060.

Budget is along the lines of what I have going on here. Could go up some, but not a lot.

I have storage to get me by including a SSD purchased earlier this year when my old one took a dump and never bothered using it. I also have a few TB of HDDs laying around that could be swapped here and there.

I'm also considering the NZXT H400i and a few "silent" case options as well.

I was surprised at the lack of mATX mobos available. I chose this over the ASRock simply due to aesthetics. I looked at the ASUS TUF and do like it, but do not see the value in it which seems to be mostly wifi.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Walmart)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Corsair)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($130.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Black Video Card ($359.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair - Crystal 280X MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1144.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-18 00:27 EST-0500

Quote Originally Posted by googz View Post
    Haven't paid any attention to PC parts for the better part of... FOREVER! Been doing some quick lookin around and have thrown this together. I want to get away from my huge HAF X and go with a much smaller build, but not quite the micro size (I do like a bit of show).

I don't plan on doing a lot of graphic intensive gaming nor do I care about the best FR possible honestly. I just want to run most games smoothly enough to enjoy them. I have considered stepping down to a 1060.

Budget is along the lines of what I have going on here. Could go up some, but not a lot.

I have storage to get me by including a SSD purchased earlier this year when my old one took a dump and never bothered using it. I also have a few TB of HDDs laying around that could be swapped here and there.

I was surprised at the lack of mATX mobos available. I chose this over the ASRock simply due to aesthetics. I looked at the ASUS TUF and do like it, but do not see the value in it which seems to be mostly wifi.

Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($130.88 @ OutletPC)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
    Looks fine but it really depends on what resolution your monitor is, and if its a 1080p 60hz monitor my advice is always to consider upgrading monitor before you touch your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Looks fine but it really depends on what resolution your monitor is, and if its a 1080p 60hz monitor my advice is always to consider upgrading monitor before you touch your PC.
    What impact/changes would that make to the build? I really don't have any intentions on upgrading my monitor as of now. It's old and still works great for what I need.

Do you have any recommendations? I will want to use my 49" 4k TV as a secondary monitor at times for streams and ninja'n my brothers PS Vue account every now and then.

What impact/changes would that make to the build? I really don't have any intentions on upgrading my monitor as of now. It's old and still works great for what I need.

Do you have any recommendations? I will want to use my 49" 4k TV as a secondary monitor at times for streams and ninja'n my brothers PS Vue account every now and then.
    Well thats the thing, if you are playing on a standard 1080p 60hz monitor there likely isnt even a reason to upgrade your current PC. Even old video cards like gtx 770's can peg 60 fps at 1080p in many titles on medium settings.

Monitor resolution and refresh rate are the #1 determent of how much money you need to spend on your PC.

Ah, well I'm building a new one no matter what. My wife's is on it's last leg I think and finally time to pass mine down. I'm also running a 560ti and It's due for new case fans it sounds like. I really need to do a complete tear down and clean, but can't be bothered right now working 70-85 hours a week currently.

What are the options to consider with concerns of monitors? Is there much beyond 1440?

Ah, well I'm building a new one no matter what. My wife's is on it's last leg I think and finally time to pass mine down. I'm also running a 560ti and It's due for new case fans it sounds like. I really need to do a complete tear down and clean, but can't be bothered right now working 70-85 hours a week currently.

What are the options to consider with concerns of monitors? Is there much beyond 1440?
    This is honestly what i would do with the same budget you listed above:

CPU Cooler: Deepcool - CAPTAIN 240EX RGB 153.04 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($189.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair - Crystal 280X MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($179.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $1131.91
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-18 02:03 EST-0500

I wont get a GTX 1070. The 1070Ti cost just a bit more and offers a good amout of more power.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-255-_-Product
    410$ and you get a quiet and cool GPU that is futureproof for 1080p Gaming.
    Also free Monster Hunter World.
    Or the Big Zotac version for 380$.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-429-_-Product
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2018-12-18 at 10:51 PM.

You could get a 1070ti for the same $359 you're looking at paying for a regular 1070. The 2060 is shaping up to be the same price too for comparable performance, but either way a 1070 is a poor card for $350 at this point. If you game only at 1080p and just don't need a 1070 ti level of performance then I'd say still go with a 1070, but pay no more than $300 for one. Go here https://slickdeals.net/ and check the computers tab for the best prices once a day.

I have the 9600k myself, and frankly there is one reason and only one reason a gamer goes with this; WoW. In Boralas I get 50-60fps on ultra during prime time. A ryzen can't match that, owing to the ancient engine WoW uses that hinges on single threaded performance. In any other event a Ryzen 2700 or even 2600 would have done the job for significantly less. AMD's cpu costs less for more threads right off the bat, but that's just the beginning. AMD also gives you a good cooler with your Ryzen processor, Intel does not. So that $100 water cooler you're looking at getting to cool your 9600k is a huge additional expense you're paying for solely for the virtue of going Intel. But if you really are dead set on Intel because of WoW, but you're looking at playing games other than WoW, I STRONGLY urge you to step up to the 9700k instead. Games like Far Cry 5 are already punishing me for having six cores instead of eight and this trend is certainl to only accelerate in the years to come.

10+ Year Old Account

I would step down to 3000 MHz ram instead of 3200 MHz. Intel system doesn't benefit as much as AMD systems from high RAM speed, and for Intel, there is virtually no difference between the two. (there might be a small one but not enough to justify the price increase).

I do recommend though just waiting at least until the 9th of January before deciding anything. CES is around the corner and AMD is revealing their newest CPU's. And if current rumours are anything to go by Intel will have some shaping up to do. So wait a bit and then decide.
    Currently, the Ryzen 2000 series is a serious competition to Intel, in most things they even do it better. Alas if you mainly play wow Intel is still the king.

In regards to GPU. It really depends on what resolution you play on. If 1080p GTX 1070 is more than good enough for all games on the market on max (I know, I have one). Alternatives are GTX 1070ti or RTX 2070. Both perform better than GTX 1070 thus have more time in the limelight before you have to upgrade again.
    It really comes down to what is cheaper. As a reference, RTX 2070 performs around the same as a GTX 1080, and a (silicon lottery) GTX 1070ti.

If wanting to play 1440p you are slightly forced to go with the other 2 if you want to keep max fidelity.

Personally, I would go with this build. Yes I do know neither of them is intel but unless you only plan on playing wow they will overall be a better choice.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($207.99 @ Walmart)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB GAMING Video Card ($364.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair - Crystal 280X MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $941.92
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-02 21:03 EST-0500

Or this build if you want to push 1440p

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($207.99 @ Walmart)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($549.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Corsair - Crystal 280X MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1126.83
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-02 21:06 EST-0500

EDIT: as mentioned earlier I would really wait until after CES. Before deciding anything.
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2019-01-03 at 02:09 AM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup