Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Ah, I still remember when Rift came out, touted as a WoW killer much like SW: ToR. lol I never gave it the time of day, graphics looked better than WoW's but by then I already didn't have the time for two games and was already invested on progressing my characters on WoW.
    I tried it and hated it.

It's funny, no more wow killers these days, the era of big MMO's is coming to an end with WoW and FF14 the last "bastions" of big MMO's.

Granted, I don't believe either game will truly die, or anytime soon. WoW and FF14 are both full steam ahead and still both very popular.

SWTOR did have an xpac recently, I even got back into it a bit, I always loved SWTOR's story, their endgame was crap tho.

RIFT was great...till I hit my 75th RIFT and it was the same as RIFTs 1, 2, 3..except the mobs were a different color.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    Granted, I don't believe either game will truly die,
    Why? There's a very clear way MMOs die: subs/activity and revenue drop below some threshold required to sustain the game. If a dev team can not be sustained, the game spirals down to closure. I don't see why either will be immune to that, sooner or later.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    RIFT was great...till I hit my 75th RIFT and it was the same as RIFTs 1, 2, 3..except the mobs were a different color.
    If there's ever truly a way to incorrectly play a game, that would be how.

2011-2013 was golden era for Rift. After 2013 everything change and here we are now. I still play tho but casually. Population on EU side is very very Low. No one have faith anymore to be honest because lack of communication and lootboxes, packs on store giving us a hint about what they are planning. If you are a newbie and enjoy playing solo you can play Rift if you are looking kinda Healthy game you have limited option WOW, FFXIV, GW2 and such. I'm waiting New World tho. I hope at least they shut down the game soon so I can say goodbye to Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I never picked it up because I figured it didn't stand a chance in the long run against WoW or ToR, and I'd hate to invest time and attachment in characters that are just going to get server wiped when they pull the plug, you know?
    Well, that's eventually going to happen in almost every MMO. It's just a matter of when, not if.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkageman View Post
    If you are a newbie and enjoy playing solo you can play Rift if you are looking kinda Healthy game you have limited option WOW, FFXIV, GW2 and such. I'm waiting New World tho. I hope at least they shut down the game soon so I can say goodbye to Rift.
    GW2 has been struggling for a while now. Its playerbase has been dwindling for the past couple of years and its 'content' releases have been getting smaller and smaller. If Rift can keep going though I doubt GW2 will be going away for a long time. The big two are WoW and FFXIV with ESO following.

OT: It's a shame to see Rift decline. I played it on release and enjoyed the gameplay. WoW has had a 15 year old foundation to build on and it's too difficult to surpass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Well, that's eventually going to happen in almost every MMO. It's just a matter of when, not if.
    Aye, I know, but at least with WoW that's certainly many years away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie081 View Post
    GW2 has been struggling for a while now. Its playerbase has been dwindling for the past couple of years and its 'content' releases have been getting smaller and smaller. If Rift can keep going though I doubt GW2 will be going away for a long time. The big two are WoW and FFXIV with ESO following.

OT: It's a shame to see Rift decline. I played it on release and enjoyed the gameplay. WoW has had a 15 year old foundation to build on and it's too difficult to surpass.
    TOR is also doing well, EA just announced that game is approaching a billion dollars in revenue for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say any MMO going anywhere is always to be determined. People say its dying or bad, well it only goes until it happens. When I touched Rift, I mean the gameplay wasn't bad persay. Very Wowish(Like wrath kinda style talents and stuff). I suppose the monetization is where it went weird.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

this game died with River of Souls. Storm Legion was amazing until you could buy full Raid Tier gear for $300
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

- - - Updated - - -

TOR is also doing well, EA just announced that game is approaching a billion dollars in revenue for them.
    Over 10 years, people seem to leave that bit out often.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    wildstar's issues were not it being f2p it was the sheer mind blowing incompetence of the devs to adress issues,even some of the people that worked on it came out and said a bunch of stuff,there should be youtube videos talking about it if you wanna check it out
    Man, losing WildStar still hurts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Why? There's a very clear way MMOs die: subs/activity and revenue drop below some threshold required to sustain the game. If a dev team can not be sustained, the game spirals down to closure. I don't see why either will be immune to that, sooner or later.
    Because you have a game like everquest that somehow is still alive because of a loyal fanbase who refuses to ever move on (good on them).

Will WoW always have the current dev team? no way, but will servers remain in maintenance mode at some point if theres a dedicated small chunk of players playing? Almost definitely, blizz still has servers for all their old games up, D2 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Yeah, it was Rift. And at one point this was the best MMORPG on the market. Too bad they royally fucked it all up and now nobody plays it.
    Never was the 'best' on the market, not even close. It had a massive player drop after month 1 as many MMOs have but in the case of Rift it didn't do a good job of recovering from that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Never was the 'best' on the market, not even close. It had a massive player drop after month 1 as many MMOs have but in the case of Rift it didn't do a good job of recovering from that.
    Maybe it was the best MMO to him?

Rift had a good playerbase until Storm Legion when they absolutely fucked everything up with monetization.

I still love the gameplay and class system. It's great, but the game is ded.

Maybe it was the best MMO to him?
    Oh no question if it is an opinion thing, but the way they wrote it out made it sound like that is was a known thing that it was the best, which we all know was bs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    Rift had a good playerbase until Storm Legion when they absolutely fucked everything up with monetization.

I still love the gameplay and class system. It's great, but the game is ded.
    Sure it had a 'good' playerbase, but it wasn't the best on the market at any point, which is what I was saying. And they fucked up things well before Storm Legion imo.

SL was a great Xpac but after the game went F2P and that shits are happened..

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    wildstar's issues were not it being f2p it was the sheer mind blowing incompetence of the devs to adress issues,even some of the people that worked on it came out and said a bunch of stuff,there should be youtube videos talking about it if you wanna check it out
    Ahh k wasn't sure if it was that it went f2p or it was due to developer/publisher incompetence..

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh no question if it is an opinion thing, but the way they wrote it out made it sound like that is was a known thing that it was the best, which we all know was bs.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure it had a 'good' playerbase, but it wasn't the best on the market at any point, which is what I was saying. And they fucked up things well before Storm Legion imo.
    The best available MMO, then. That's what I really meant, not stat-wise. At one point in its history I'm convinced it was the best MMO around. Too bad they fucked it up.