Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need some advice/help with Resto Druid

Hey there. Just picked up Druid again and just wondering how Resto works because I feel like I'm weak.

I'm not saying the class/spec is bad god no haha. I just meant I keep throwing all my Hots down and spamming regrowth and I just feel like it's a bit more tougher to keep people up than it was on my Resto Shaman.

So yeah I'd love any advice/help and would greatly appreciate it.

I mean if it turns out I'm just a bad Resto I can always go Guardian since I was pretty decent with it in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    just wondering how Resto works.
    I highly suggest you go read some guides, watch some videos, and break down some top logs. Coming here and asking people to explain the whole spec to you is unreasonable, go do the leg work yourself. If you have specific questions then by all means ask them, people are more than willing to help.

Icy-Veins and Wowhead are decent starting points for simple basics. Questionably Epic is your best resource for accurate information. The druid discord channel is there as well. There is a never-ending supply of guides already out there easily available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonpuke View Post
    I highly suggest you go read some guides, watch some videos, and break down some top logs. Coming here and asking people to explain the whole spec to you is unreasonable, go do the leg work yourself. If you have specific questions then by all means ask them, people are more than willing to help.

Icy-Veins and Wowhead are decent starting points for simple basics. Questionably Epic is your best resource for accurate information. The druid discord channel is there as well. There is a never-ending supply of guides already out there easily available to you.
    Yeah why would I come into this section of the forum for help with Resto Druid right?

How it works can mean a multitude of things. I'm just wondering if there is anything I'm doing wrong since I have all my HoTs and whatnot up but it feels a bit more tougher to heal.

I have used external sources for help. Hence why I'm asking here as well to use whatever resources are available to me.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-12-19 at 03:50 AM.

I'm not expecting the whole spec. I'm just wondering how the basics work because I feel weak.
    And I very clearly pointed out over three separate resources that will teach you the basics, but instead you expect people here to take the time and write out a personalized guide for you? If you are too lazy to go read a guide then there is literally no point in anyone here helping you.

Just off the top of my head (my current OS is resto) you can't blanket HoT like you used to or you'll oom. If you don't have the better azerite traits you may be a little weaker too.

Resto druid is pretty heavily CD focused now for it's big healing. Regrowth is your only instant heal so it hurts to have to spam it too because it's so expensive. If you're having to use it alot it may be worth speccing into abundance and then only casting regrowth if you have 4 or more rejuvenations up at the time.

And I very clearly pointed out over three separate resources that will teach you the basics, but instead you expect people here to take the time and write out a personalized guide for you? If you are too lazy to go read a guide then there is literally no point in anyone here helping you.
    And maybe read what I posted above? I did use external sources. This is one of many I'm using.

If you don't want to help fine then don't respond. Quite frankly you are being snarky about it anyway. I don't expect anyone to spend their time writing a personalised guide for me. I came here asking for help and pointers.

So please if you are just going to act all high and mighty do not respond to me. Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    So guides, yeah. Definitely hit up Icy veins and the discord.

That said.... what I level and what content are you doing? I felt kind of bad until I got some haste, too.

Make sure you have efflorescence down and consider using things like Cenarion Ward on tanks if they're a problem.

Also... remember, druid healing is more about anticipation and pre-healing than healing as or after damage hits. So if you know there's an AOE damage phase coming up, get Rejuv on people before, so hots are rolling as the damage hits. A lot of healers in other classes are used to seeing damage hit then using direct heals to get hp back. We can do that but are relatively weak there with Regrowth an Tranq, really.

Quote Originally Posted by StaeleAilar View Post
    Just off the top of my head (my current OS is resto) you can't blanket HoT like you used to or you'll oom. If you don't have the better azerite traits you may be a little weaker too.

Resto druid is pretty heavily CD focused now for it's big healing. Regrowth is your only instant heal so it hurts to have to spam it too because it's so expensive. If you're having to use it alot it may be worth speccing into abundance and then only casting regrowth if you have 4 or more rejuvenations up at the time.
    Yeah I noticed some of the bigger heals/cds have a hella long cooldown now.

The main thing is I feel like my HoTs are just too weak. As I said it feels more like an uphill struggle to try and keep someone alive and I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong.

As I said I make sure every HoT is on the tank for example. Along with Ironbark to help with big hits.

As I say I might just not be good with the spec. Not the end of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    So guides, yeah. Definitely hit up Icy veins and the discord.

That said.... what I level and what content are you doing? I felt kind of bad until I got some haste, too.

Make sure you have efflorescence down and consider using things like Cenarion Ward on tanks if they're a problem.

Also... remember, druid healing is more about anticipation and pre-healing than healing as or after damage hits. So if you know there's an AOE damage phase coming up, get Rejuv on people before, so hots are rolling as the damage hits. A lot of healers in other classes are used to seeing damage hit then using direct heals to get hp back. We can do that but are relatively weak there with Regrowth an Tranq, really.
    I'm still levelling atm but even in the levelling dungeons it feels a bit "hellish" is the best way to describe it. 115 atm.

As I said I have been using guides. I just used this to further extend the sources I was using.

Appreciate the advice though @clevin. Also same to you @StaeleAilar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks... Make sure Efflo is down. Iron bark and maybe Cenarion Ward on them. Maybe spec Germination so you have 2x Rejuv on them.

Tanks... Make sure Efflo is down. Iron bark and maybe Cenarion Ward on them. Maybe spec Germination so you have 2x Rejuv on them.
    Aye specced Germination. Might give Cenarion Ward a go to see if it makes my life a lot easier.

And maybe read what I posted above? I did use external sources. This is one of many I'm using.

If you don't want to help fine then don't respond. Quite frankly you are being snarky about it anyway. I don't expect anyone to spend their time writing a personalised guide for me. I came here asking for help and pointers.

So please if you are just going to act all high and mighty do not respond to me. Thank you.
    I think your posts say everything anyone needs to know about you.

- - - Updated - - -

Aye specced Germination. Might give Cenarion Ward a go to see if it makes my life a lot easier.
    There. That right there. That question is explained in HIGH DETAIL over on QE. It answers every single question you could have, but instead of looking into it...well, here you are.

I think your posts say everything anyone needs to know about you.
    That when someone tries to be clever with me for asking for help and then trying to claim BS I don't stand for it?

Yeah I'm a terrible person mate.

Since you are continuing with this I shall throw you on ignore for now. There are people who have actually helped me which I'm thankful for. I'm sorry you didn't feel like doing so in a section of the forum intended for class discussion/help. Good day to you.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-12-19 at 04:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still levelling atm but even in the levelling dungeons it feels a bit "hellish" is the best way to describe it. 115 atm.

As I said I have been using guides. I just used this to further extend the sources I was using.

Appreciate the advice though @clevin. Also same to you @StaeleAilar.
    Ah, I leveled as balance and added resto at 120. I can't really comment on how it is leveling. That could also be tanks learning etc or it could be that 115 is when you start feeling weaker in almost any spec. Remember, your Artifact loses its special abilities then, so watch weapon rewards and don't pass on stat upgrades anymore.

Ah, I leveled as balance and added resto at 120. I can't really comment on how it is leveling. That could also be tanks learning etc or it could be that 115 is when you start feeling weaker in almost any spec. Remember, your Artifact loses its special abilities then, so watch weapon rewards and don't pass on stat upgrades anymore.
    True.

I was actually trying Flourish beforehand. Might go back into it at 120 and try both talents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flourish rocks if you need to speed up your HoTs. More useful. IMO, when you have hots on several people in range.

Inner peace is worth a look too since it lets you use Tranq much more often and in 5s that burst healing is nice... but the fights are so short that without the CD reduction from IP, you usually only have Tranq up once/fight.

I think the most important thing is the attitude switch from being a reactive healer to a proactive one. The rest, presuming good play, is gearing and having people not take lots of unavoidable damage since you have fewer "Oh shit, I need to burst everyone back up or we die!" buttons.

Oh and I get used to not worrying about whether everyone's at 100% all the time. If a DPS is at 70% and they're not in danger of taking some huge burst damage, that's fine. Toss a rejuv on them when you can.
    Last edited by clevin; 2018-12-19 at 04:06 AM.

That when someone tries to be clever with me for asking for help and then trying to claim BS I don't stand for it?

Yeah I'm a terrible person mate.

Since you are continuing with this I shall throw you on ignore for now. There are people who have actually helped me. I'm sorry you didn't feel like doing so in a section of the forum intended for class discussion/help. Good day to you.
    Too lazy to go read a guide, and instead starts crying about how no one will hold your hand and babysit you. And no, you never once said you had already read external guides. You immediately got defensive and started attacking me. Grow up.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaand now you are going back through your comments and editing them to make you sound better. Again, that says it all.

Flourish rocks if you need to speed up your HoTs. More useful. IMO, when you have hots on several people in range.

Inner peace is worth a look too since it lets you use Tranq much more often and in 5s that are burst healing is nice but the fights are so short that without the CD reduction from IP, you usually only have Tranq up once/fight.

I think the most important thing is the attitude switch from being a reactive healer to a proactive one. The rest, presuming good play, is gearing and having people not take lots of unavoidable damage since you have fewer "Oh shit, I need to burst everyone back up or we die!" buttons.

Oh and I get used to not worrying about whether everyone's at 100% all the time. If a DPS is at 70% and they're not in danger of taking some huge burst damage, that's fine. Toss a rejuv on them when you can.
    Admittedly that's one of my issues as a healer. I see them drop a little and have a stupid urge to heal them up with a heal or two. Took me a while to get over doing that on Shaman because it was hurting my mana.

But ah well guess I'll keep trying. As I said if I don't end up being good at Resto then I can at least play Guardian since I'm quite decent with it. Not the end of the world.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-12-19 at 04:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too lazy to go read a guide, and instead starts crying about how no one will hold your hand and babysit you. And no, you never once said you had already read external guides. You immediately got defensive and started attacking me. Grow up.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaaand now you are going back through your comments and editing them to make you sound better. Again, that says it all.
    Regardless of whether they edited their posts you're the one who seems to have been attacking them for asking for help from the start. Everyone who has replied to him is well aware that there are tons of guides available yet you're the only one who has come off as a colossal dick when you simply have to not respond if you can't offer anything in the way of guidance in the Druid sub-section of the forum for druid related questions.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Regardless of whether they edited their posts you're the one who seems to have been attacking them for asking for help from the start. Everyone who has replied to him is well aware that there are tons of guides available yet you're the only one who has come off as a colossal dick when you simply have to not respond if you can't offer anything in the way of guidance in the Druid sub-section of the forum for druid related questions.
    Eh it's ok. I feel I got a good amount of help from the people willing to mate.

I can't say I edited my posts to make them sound better though haha. More so to tidy them up and make them cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    He didnt read the already written guides out there, he didnt watch one of the ten billion video guides on youtube. He didnt even search the forums here to find the answers he wanted. On page 3 there is an eight page thread about resto healing, and it took me all of 3 seconds to find it. Asking someone to go do their own legwork to learn the BASICS of a spec is not unreasonable, quite the opposite.