Just hit lvl 15, few questions

Good morning,
    So I just started playing 2 days ago and I got to level 15 on my Thaumaturge last night. The main story quest person said I could learn other jobs now if I wanted. I was wondering how that works?

So it resets me to level 1 correct? Does that mean I will be unable to do quests I have for my current level? Would I have to redo the MSQ for the 2nd job?

I was unsure if my character is level 15 as well as my job. Is there any bonus to sticking with one job straight through? I was considering dabbling with some other jobs but I don't want to completely halt my progress through the MSQ, nor have to start it over.

I was not sure if switching jobs meant I would have to do low level quests for a while in order to get strong enough to continue where I left off. Thanks in advance!

No, basically you go to one of the other trainers and say I want to learn to become a [class]. They'll give you a level 1 weapon and you'll unlock it, to change to it equip the weapon and the same goes for the profession jobs as well; everything is tied to the weapon in terms of classes.

You will be unable to hand in the MSQ or any other levelled quests until you hit the level required to hand them in, but you're not prohibited from completing the objectives if you can do them on a low levelled class. MSQ and side quests can only be completed once per character. Your character's level is your highest job, not your original job.

You will need to play at least 1 specific class to 15 as well as your main as unlocking the Job at 30 requires it, for example Dragoon is Lancer at 30 and Marauder at 15. There's enough side quests to level at least 1 additional class per zone alongside your Main, assuming you hand in MSQ on your main. You'll also get an XP boost to your lower levelled specs as well, I think it's 50% so you could potentially grind events and levequests as well if you want to absolutely keep everything levelled (I strongly recommend you don't do that)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    You will need to play at least 1 specific class to 15 as well as your main as unlocking the Job at 30 requires it, for example Dragoon is Lancer at 30 and Marauder at 15.
    That's wrong, they removed it in SB. Now you only need to get your base class to level 30 and complete all class quests (not sure about latter, I just always do them the moment they come up).
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    You will need to play at least 1 specific class to 15 as well as your main as unlocking the Job at 30 requires it, for example Dragoon is Lancer at 30 and Marauder at 15.
    This is false and no longer required. Just reah lvl 30 on the respective class to unlock the job. Cross class/job abilies
    Are also a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbless View Post
    Cross class/job abilies are also a thing of the past.
    Not for DoH/DoL.
    Looking for Raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Not for DoH/DoL.
    DoH/DoL? 10 char

- - - Updated - - -

Another question...so on my main class should I just be doing MSQ and class quests and saving side quests for alts??

Quote Originally Posted by hexzero13 View Post
    DoH/DoL? 10 char
    Disciple of the Hand / Disciple of the Land - Crafting and gathering professions.

As others noted, you can bounce around on different jobs as much as you like and try them out. Do side quests, FATEs, and run the dungeon roulette when you have it unlocked. There's also a training thing you'll be sent through and you can go back to it with each job. Doing all of those gets you a decent low level ring with an xp boost and good stats. I think you can get a few other armor pieces if I recall as well.

MSQ is just level locked. If you started as thaumaturge and started playing another class and found you liked it and got to 15 on that class, you could turn in the MSQ on the new class, but as others said, you don't have to replay the MSQ at all.

Basically the other jobs you grind your way up one way or another. Levequests are decent in ARR and you can look over them to choose what works best for you xp-wise (you get an allowance of 99 and I forget the rate at which they replenish), FATEs, don't forget to do each class' hunting log and there's a challenge log you'll unlock at one point with things like "complete 5 Fates in different zones" or "complete 10 fates total" that give good xp boosts per week. Those are great for trying out other classes.

DoH/DoL? 10 char

- - - Updated - - -

Another question...so on my main class should I just be doing MSQ and class quests and saving side quests for alts??
    On your main do everything that interests you. The side classes are normally leveled through fates, dungeons, and things known as deep dungeons. Now that there is no cross skills for battle classes, focus on one that you like and level that first.

You CAN unlock and try them all if you wish. You simply go to thier trainer in the city they are from and accept the quest to become one. It will require you to equip a level 1 weapon from that class to change classes, simple to buy right next to the questgiver. You will become a level one of that class. That simple. You can always change weapons to change classes *outside of dungeon type content of course.

Doh/dol means the disciple of land and hand classes. The crafters and gatherers. They still have benefits from leveling them all through cross class skills. crafters is pretty much a requirement to have them all to 50 to succeed. gatherers don't really matter.

That's the best route, once you settle on a true main. Of course, you can swap mains later. I have friends that swapped from Black Mage to Red Mage, etc.

Expansions can trigger a change in mains. I didn't like how Ninja plays in Stormblood compared to Heavensward, so I main as Samurai now.

Oh, one thing worth mentioning... other classes get an xp boost up to a certain point of your main's level. So if you're level 50 on one job, everything below 50 gets an xp boost.

DoH/DoL? 10 char
    Disciples of Hand (crafting classes)/Disciples of Land (gathering classes).
    You'll run out of quests either way, so just do them if you need EXP right now. Generally it's faster to do daily leveling roulette and then spam highest available dungeon or run certain floors of PotD, but PotD can be annoying on your first class, since you will be constantly spammed with new abilities.
    Last edited by Rogalicus; 2018-12-19 at 02:22 PM.
    Looking for Raid.

Thanks guys this info is all really helpful!

Helpful to us lurkers as well!

In my opinion, saving quests for secondary jobs is an unnecessary optimisation, and might cause you to miss unlocking certain things. Just do the quests as you find them.

Basically, assume that you'll be levelling secondary jobs through hunt logs, dungeons, FATES, and Palace of the Dead. Don't worry about quests.

do you need to have a second class? cant you just stick with your main class and go forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    do you need to have a second class? cant you just stick with your main class and go forever?
    Yes, you can stick to just one class. However, a lot of people enjoy playing different classes, and FFXIV makes it easy.