Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ...
    I don't think a dime should be diverted from the current game's budget to pay for a 15 year old version of the game. Honestly if it starts to eat into current wow's budget I hope they slap on a fee for the vanilla servers. Idc if people hate the game right now, the last excuse I want to hear them use is 'funding.'

Also, people really overestimate how popular 'Classic' is going to be. It's not going to be a current wow killer by any stretch of the imagination. People will rush to play it for about a month, maybe two then poof. The only people remaining with be the blowhards that sit upon their thrones of nostalgia pretending they are the pinnacle of wow players. No dev working on the current game needs to worry about 'Classic wow' putting their job in jeopardy and anyone who thinks that is beyond foolish.
    Last edited by Nuggsy; 2019-01-23 at 07:41 AM.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonTax View Post
    This is late and it may have been said already but you could only play the classic demo if you had a real or a virtual blizzcon ticket. The virtual ticket (for people not actually going to the conn) cost something like $50. I would have loved to play the demo but I wasn't going to blow $50 just for a few days on a demo that I felt Bliz should have opened up to everyone in the first place. I would have happily subbed for it. It was worth $15 for a few days of fun, but not $50. And, honestly, I think most players were already getting a bit miffed by Blizzard's cash grab by that point.
    $50? I paid EUR 39.99 (that's $33 without sales tax).

I buy the ticket every year to get access to the video streams. The classic demo was nice to have, but boring after two hours.

You don't really think that Blizzard tried to get you to pay $50 just for the classic demo?...
    WoW is a game, not an addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo93 View Post
    WoW is a game, not an addiction.
    That sums up everything that's wrong with the current game.

A great MMO should make you want to lose your job, ruin your social life and get divorced because you can't stop playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonTax View Post
    I don't think anyone believes subscription numbers will head back into the 10M range
    I have repeatedly said they will go to 10 million. They will go way OVER 10 million. BUT on one condition: They don't start adding stuff like sharding, phasing, cross-realm etc. They are already talking about adding sharding. If they do that, it helps destroy the in-game community which is the sacred cow.

There is only ONE WAY to fuck this up, and they are heading right in that direction lol.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    Well, as much as I would love to see subscription numbers hit 10M+ again in the modern game, I don't think its in the cards. Blizzard doesn't have the vision to pull that off any more. When WoW was originally released its only real competition was Everquest, and even that was not so much because the EQ at the time was really slow and sludgy and required video hardware that very few people actually had, whereas WoW ran on just about anything at 30-60fps right out of the box. FFXI also came out at around the same time as a console adaption to windows with a very poor emulator and couldn't gain much traction. WoW didn't really have any real competition for years afterwords.

In WoW's middle age competition began to ramp up. GuildWars / GW2 pulled away a lot of people for example. Conan (2008 I think) tried to snatch market share but failed after a week or two for not being innovative enough (not being able to compete with WoW on game mechanics, for example). There was also WarHammer and a few other games.

But everything changes and in modern times not only are there several other very good, popular MMOs in the same sort of genre, there are also a dozen other well made high-graphics-impact games, not necessarily MMIOs, such as tomb-raider (to name just one) that pull eyeballs away from WoW. Also, the modern version of WoW is really more of a collection game (to borrow the phrase) than it is a MMO, and caters to a type of casual player that would be just as happy playing pokemon as WoW. This greatly increases the universe of competition pulling eyeballs away from WoW.

In the grand scheme of things I think MMOs, while interesting to us (I personally have no interest in playing Pokemon or even Tomb-raider), are actually far less interesting to kids growing up these days than other types of games. Blizzard is trying to shift WoW into a space where there is heavy competition and out of the space that its die-hard fans originally bought the game for. It's a very, very dangerous move for Blizzard and in that respect the Classic re-release (going back to its roots) is going to be a major litmus test for Bliz. It doesn't need to have 'new' content when most current players have never tried it. And it will inform Blizzard's decision making for years to come. That's why it is so important. IMHO if Classic fails the modern game is probably going to die too. It will be the end of the line for WoW.

-Matt