Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
17
18
LastLast
  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Maybe this is a hot take, I don't know. Why don't we just approve the money for the wall? Look, every parent knows that when you argue with a toddler, you have to pick your battles. This battle is over less than 1% of the total projected budget. We all know, even if he gets budgeted the money for it, it will never break ground anyway. He's going to try to give the contract for building it to friends of his. That will get delayed. The Senate can hold up construction on any number of reasons for a while. And even if it gets built, it's not going to actually do anything and we'll get to watch him lie his way out of that.

    Maybe I'm crazy. At least that gets the government back working again. Toddlers can scream for a long time if they don't have a firm hand guiding them. And we know he doesn't.
    I used to have a toddler. We taught her that she can get things by asking nicely but not by tantrums. It's a long game, but it works if you are persistent and consistent. She also knows you can't always get what you want. (But if you try, sometimes you get what you need.)

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Actual toddlers can’t bring the government to a screeching halt while they pitch their hissy fit. And while that money could go lots of places, you and I both know it won’t. It’s just going to slide into defense spending anyway. That’s the only face saving compromise for Republicans.
    Yeah, just pay for his tower in Moscow already. He will resign to oversee the project and the government can reopen. Everyone wins... /s
    Entropy won't yield to you.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    I don’t work here, I only smoke here.

  3. #303
    I think you guys are being rather optimistic about how this is going to go. And assuming he’s self aware enough to realize how much ground he’s lost.

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    I think you guys are being rather optimistic about how this is going to go. And assuming he’s self aware enough to realize how much ground he’s lost.
    No. On the contrary, we're counting on him being entirely unaware and delusional and saying increasingly crazy things as he fails to recognize how broken his power is. It only serves to alienate him from the Senate.

    The answer will be 'no' from Democrats, period.. The shut down will end when McConnell decides enough is enough because he doesn't give a fig about the fucking wall. What he does care about is the hundreds of billions of dollars to all his Republican Senators and States that is on hold.

    He'll put a paper in front of Trump to sign, and Trump will bitch about it and that's it.

    Don't believe me? A senior Republican Senator just started to waffle.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...cbd_story.html


    Trump has no leverage left, and he's the only one who hasn't come to accept that.

  5. #305
    I'm wondering if the folks in this thread are still so confident the shutdown is ending very soon with no wall given the developments of the last few days.

  6. #306
    The Insane Kujako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the woods, doing what bears do.
    Posts
    17,989
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    I'm wondering if the folks in this thread are still so confident the shutdown is ending very soon with no wall given the developments of the last few days.
    It will last until the Republicans cave. There will be no wall funding. Separation of powers is very clearly defined in the Constitution, the President does not get to decide on the budget and it is frankly crazy that there are Republicans who want that to change.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    I'm wondering if the folks in this thread are still so confident the shutdown is ending very soon with no wall given the developments of the last few days.
    And most of us here are wondering when your self-absorbed ignorance in general will end.

    You think you have a magic bullet solution, and you somehow feel more validated the more people debunk your loony bin ideas instead. Like you know, the other thread literally only you and another nutter thought it was funny to claim moral superiority over an act of ignoring statistics.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

    Prediction for the future

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    It's Merry Fuckyoumas all around!

    House Republicans want 5 billion for this bullshit wall? They can pull it out of their own pockets.
    5 billion is nothing when we are in the hole 22 trillion.

  9. #309
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look behind you.
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    I'm wondering if the folks in this thread are still so confident the shutdown is ending very soon with no wall given the developments of the last few days.
    I don't think it'll go for 'Months, or even years' like Trump claims it will (him being a habitual liar aside), but I do think the Shutdown might end up lasting until the end of the month at this rate.

    Democrats refuse to move on this - because why would they? - and Trump's going to refuse to move on this because it's the last thing he has. Everything else he's tried to accomplish has been a garbage fire of failure to the point where even the things he should be getting bipartisan praise for are being flubbed so horribly, and the GOP might realize this as well and are trying to drag this out in hopes they can swing the messaging war back into their favor to turn it onto the Democrats.

    We've seen it with the 'Shumer Shutdown' malarkey that might've been more effective if Trump didn't decide to storm the stage and boldly proclaim: "IT WAS ME, AMERICA. IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"

  10. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    5 billion is nothing when we are in the hole 22 trillion.
    Another reason why you can take 5 billion out of your own pockets.

    Party of personal responsibility, please pay for your own things like responsible people do, thanks.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

    Prediction for the future

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Another reason why you can take 5 billion out of your own pockets.

    Party of personal responsibility, please pay for your own things like responsible people do, thanks.
    I thought the Democrats were all about handouts though?

  12. #312
    Scarab Lord Noxx79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kansas. Yes, THAT Kansas.
    Posts
    4,696
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I thought the Democrats were all about handouts though?
    Nope, that’s both parties. The republicans want to give money to people who don’t need it though, while the democrats give money to the needy.

  13. #313
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look behind you.
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I thought the Democrats were all about handouts though?
    Tired straw man aside; There's also the difference between $5B to a wall that may or may not even work and using those funds to aid in tangible issues like Infrastructure, Health Care and Poverty.

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Nope, that’s both parties. The republicans want to give money to people who don’t need it though, while the democrats give money to the needy.
    This made me laugh. Good one.

  15. #315
    The Insane Kujako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the woods, doing what bears do.
    Posts
    17,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Tired straw man aside; There's also the difference between $5B to a wall that may or may not even work and using those funds to aid in tangible issues like Infrastructure, Health Care and Poverty.
    Or even using it for actual border security. A drone with IR cameras, a handful of people and a helicopter can cover a large section of the border and doesn't cost five billion.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  16. #316
    Scarab Lord Noxx79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kansas. Yes, THAT Kansas.
    Posts
    4,696
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    This made me laugh. Good one.
    Yeah, the truth can be funny for a deluded fool.

  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Yeah, the truth can be funny for a deluded fool.
    You really got me there!

  18. #318
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look behind you.
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Or even using it for actual border security. A drone with IR cameras, a handful of people and a helicopter can cover a large section of the border and doesn't cost five billion.
    ...Yeah what the fuck why haven't more people pitched the Drone idea? I know they get a bad rep because of Attack Drones in the ME but having a small fleet of those on patrol sounds like a much better investment then a slab of concrete that can be defeated by a ladder.

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    ...Yeah what the fuck why haven't more people pitched the Drone idea? I know they get a bad rep because of Attack Drones in the ME but having a small fleet of those on patrol sounds like a much better investment then a slab of concrete that can be defeated by a ladder.
    Because when it comes down to it nobody really cares about "border security" because it's such a tiny issue in the immigration debate.

  20. #320
    Scarab Lord Noxx79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kansas. Yes, THAT Kansas.
    Posts
    4,696
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    You really got me there!
    I sure did! Got anything else smarty pants? Your thin skin is quite the spectacle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •