Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of the ones I've actually played, Xbox 360.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Philips CD-I was a pretty weird mix of media player and gaming console which failed pretty hard back then. Though, we are doing the same now with PS3/4 or Xbox. The machine itself wasn't even that bad. Just terrible controls, lack of games and the wrong disc format for movies that didn't make it as industry standard. I still remember the Zelda game on CD-I which was horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Heresy. N64 controllers were brilliant design for what they were supposed to do: a hybrid of classic 2D arcade and modern 3D console gaming. All good N64 games were designed with said controller in mind. You always had the right controller setup for every situation depending on where you put your left/right hand. You were not supposed to use the analog stick with your left hand on digital stick side (or very rarely). Usually you would swap positions with your hand. The only thing the N64 would need today were two shoulder buttons per side and two Z buttons for more flexibility.
    The CD-i was not designed for gaming, and didn't have the hardware to support it. Its hardware was designed for media playback. As an example: it had ZERO sprite or scrolling capabilities at all. All it had was a "dumb" framebuffer. If you wanted to do any animation or anything on the screen at all (aside from video playback), it was less powerful than the NES was, because it had no background scrolling abilities, nor did it have any sprite support. It had a 32-bit CPU but ALL that stuff had to be done manually in software, which is slow as hell. That's why the Zelda games look the way they do. It was a 32-bit system so it had a lot of colors. What that meant: prettty (for the time) colorful backgrounds, that were pretty much just static images, with gameplay about as advanced as what you see on the Atari 2600.

Last time I played on a Console was in 1997, so I'd say N64.

I played C64, SNES and N64 and N64 is clearly the worst of them.

My SEGA 32X. Why did I even buy that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dark View Post
    My SEGA 32X. Why did I even buy that thing?
    Indeed, why did you? ^^

Truth be told, there we a lot of horrible consoles; 3DO, Pippin, Lynx, CDi, etc.

I've had the following consoles so far;

- Commodore 64

- Atari 2600

- Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
    - Super Nintendo (SNES)
    - Nintendo 64
    - Wii
    - Game Boy
    - Game Boy Advance
    - Switch

- Sega Master System
    - Sega Mega Drive
    - Sega Dreamcast

- Playstation
    - Playstation 2 (sold after a month)
    - Playstation 3 (used mostly as a DVD player)
    - Playstation 4 (sold after a week)
    - PSP (got it for free and barely used it, even with access to free games with an easy jailbreak)

- Xbox

From this list I'd have to say the PSP and Xbox were the worst consoles I've ever owned, closely followed by the Wii.

The best console EVER, has to be the Switch. That thing is absolutely amazing. The biggest leap forward was the N64 and the games I enjoyed most as a kid were; Mario 64, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart & Mario Kart 64, Final Fantasy XII and Metal Gear Solid.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-01-18 at 10:14 AM.

The Philips CD-I... horrible controllers, horrible games. I do actually own one with two out of the three Zelda games.
    Last edited by Perudo; 2019-01-18 at 10:28 AM.

FC - 2234-7580-4322
    Ingame - Mille
    DS name - Groggen

Wii by far. horrible controls, barely more powerful than N64, some of the most forgettable first party games ever released, shitty online support, obsolete, proprietary media. just meh all around.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    Wii by far. horrible controls, barely more powerful than N64, some of the most forgettable first party games ever released, shitty online support, obsolete, proprietary media. just meh all around.
    Compare that to Intellivision... you can't even imagine the controls.... less powerful than a TI-85... what first party games ? no online, support or otherwise. as far as media, yeah... none there either.

5+ Year Old Account
    PSP, thing broke down in less than a year. Curiously enough, I don't know anyone who owned a PSP and didn't have to replace it.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

10+ Year Old Account
    Aw come on, the Jaguar was not that bad, AvP and Tempest were awesome games. AvP was so far ahead of its time man. Hundreds of hours lost to that game.

Man, even the VirtualBoy was pretty damn awesome. Sure waterworld really sucked, but Mario Tennis and Wario Land were superb.

If you want to know a real failure, the LYNX was so bad. I worked at taco bell back then and saved up for MONTHS and every single game sucked, I couldnt even get more than 25 dollars for my LYNX and 6 games at Funcoland when I finally tried to bail.

I was never really a big fan of the PSP. It had some good games and nice graphics for a handheld but it had some that hurt it for me. It was constructed well, but for whatever reason it always felt very fragile to me, like if I dropped it once, it would shatter. The "joystick" wasn't all that good. I also don't think having a handheld using disk media was a good idea either. Finally, mine at least could never hold a good charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    I was never really a big fan of the PSP. It had some good games and nice graphics for a handheld but it had some that hurt it for me. It was constructed well, but for whatever reason it always felt very fragile to me, like if I dropped it once, it would shatter. The "joystick" wasn't all that good. I also don't think having a handheld using disk media was a good idea either. Finally, mine at least could never hold a good charge.
    My charge port actually bent and it wouldn't charge anymore. I'm not rough with these things, it was always charging on a flat surface /shrug. Ended up selling it, now I just emulate the games because there was some good ones

10+ Year Old Account
    first gen Playstation (ps1)

yeah... i said it

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Compare that to Intellivision... you can't even imagine the controls.... less powerful than a TI-85... what first party games ? no online, support or otherwise. as far as media, yeah... none there either.
    lol that's not exactly a fair comparison.

The Wii U I bought for my kids for Christmas. They both cried and not tears of joy when they opened that package.

No joke, that really happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    The Wii U I bought for my kids for Christmas. They both cried and not tears of joy when they opened that package.

No joke, that really happened.
    Damn man. I feel you.

Note that actually, the Wii U has a big advantage in the form of being well hacked, allowing to play many games from other consoles or homebrews. IIRC It is also the best for emulating DS/3DS games because you can use the tablet like the bottom tactile DS screen. So I think it might be the best platform overall if you want to create your own little arcade machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    Damn man. I feel you.

Note that actually, the Wii U has a big advantage in the form of being well hacked, allowing to play many games from other consoles or homebrews. IIRC It is also the best for emulating DS/3DS games because you can use the tablet like the bottom tactile DS screen. So I think it might be the best platform overall if you want to create your own little arcade machine.
    Didn't know that, I'll try that out since its just gathering dust in a closet right now. Thanks.

Probably the wii u. It was an impulse buy for me, and I really didn't have it that long. The controls were wonky and the selection of games was minimal.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Wii. Never really liked it. The good thing about it was the quantity of Mario/Kirby games it offered, but it always felt to me like half a console. The switch looks better I guess.
    Not talking about the Wii U because I didn't even realize it was its own thing until it flopped.