Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you feel about a win or a loss?

Played since beta, hit legend then played pretty casual from then on.

I can probably count on 1 hand the amount of times I have felt like I outplayed or got outplayed.

Most of the time it just feels like I did/didn't get the cards needed or my opponent did/didn't get the cards they needed.

This excludes certain Tavern Brawls and Arena Drafts.

Does anyone feel the same way or have I just turned into that old bitter dude already?

There is no outplaying in Hearthstone. The entire game is completely based on one side drawing better than the other. I have played TCGs for 20 years. Yes there is luck to all of them to some degree, but not as bad as Hearthstone.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Deleted
    The fun (for me) comes from

1) Deck Building
    2) Playing "meme" decks and see the battle unfold

I get extra pleasure from winning with a deck i made or playing a fun deck from the internet.

Here is a question, what shape would this game be in if it didn't have the WoW IP to feed off of?

I probably wouldn't of bothered

Deleted
    I think Arena, as long as both players have decent same power decks, is fairly balanced-->despite the little(sometimes insane game wining) RNG. You feel very good when winning a 12:0 Arena with an average deck and feel like you earned it a lot.

Constructed is a shit show.This happens often in card games, but its an issue that hearthstone has went overboard with. You have 9 classes but many of them lack an actual identity and you have so many bullshit cards(like some DKs) that literally ruin the game.

Deleted
    you've obviously never done a 200 IQ defile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    There is no outplaying in Hearthstone. The entire game is completely based on one side drawing better than the other. I have played TCGs for 20 years. Yes there is luck to all of them to some degree, but not as bad as Hearthstone.
    hey don't u see 'pro' players in hearthstone ? the game is 'pure skill'
    specially arena, it's 'pure skill' is up to 11

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    you've obviously never done a 200 IQ defile.
    doesn't that require the 'pure skill' to draw it in first place at the right time ? what if ur 'skill' is so bad that defile was last card in ur deck ?
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    I just cant get past how you either win by absolutely smashing them to bits and get perfect draws or lose by them smashing you to bits with perfect draws,
    There is no comeback story and i do believe the game winner is determined the moment you find a match.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post

doesn't that require the 'pure skill' to draw it in first place at the right time ? what if ur 'skill' is so bad that defile was last card in ur deck ?
    There are decks where u just play your hand (odd pally prenerf/pirate warrior etc) and you get legend but the idea that hearthstone is devoid of 'skill' is dumb.

Its a memory game, you should know your own deck vs whatever deck you are playing so you can use your cards optimally whatever you draw.

Some games RNGesus does spite you (topdecking), but there is 'skill' involved.

You have win conditions and you should know thiers. You should be able to make reads based on what the play and plan for the best/worst outcomes.

There was one time where I cared because even with a bad match up you could win but these days the power creep is so high that when someone manage to face the deck he counters he simply wins. To get a high win rate you just need to study the meta and make a counter. Example with my wild dragon priest : Went from rank 12 to rank 2 in a few hours (I don't play a lot these days) because I know that the main wild decks are big priest and even shaman so I play with double light bomb and double entomb which are enough to counter both deck (add a duskbreaker for even shaman).

Quote Originally Posted by Zippoflames View Post
    I just cant get past how you either win by absolutely smashing them to bits and get perfect draws or lose by them smashing you to bits with perfect draws,
    There is no comeback story and i do believe the game winner is determined the moment you find a match.
    I have a story for you sir

I'm on my pally
    Facing a shaman
    I have a full board with Tyrion and lightlord as my big bads
    Ready to end it next turn
    The guy plays literally everything he can
    My board wiped he has 2 giants at 10/12 and a couple taunts
    I have nothing but the last card I draw
    The heart of the cards was with me my friend
    Deathwing blessed me and destroyed my enemies
    They had 12hp
    I had 5hp
    They surrendered

That's the exact problem of HS at this stage
    At the beginning, the result of a game is determined by 3 factors: deck, skill and luck.

Thanks to communities, as time goes by, ppl netdeck strongest decks and have enough resource to craft them, the differential influence of this factor has been reduced by, above rank 10, I dare say 100%

For the similar reason, the skill level of remaining HS players has already reached the ceiling, for most of the decks. There is hardly any skill gaps between players.

The only remaining factor is luck, which is close to 95% or even 100% for legendary rank players.

As the result, players are no better than bots now. They play the way it should be played, while hoping for better luck than the opponent.

edit:

My suggestion is, go to causal or below level 15 and play some NEW complicated decks or your own designed deck. That will increase the previous 2 factors and bring back lots of fun.
    Last edited by IsaacHawke; 2018-12-26 at 10:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacHawke View Post
    My suggestion is, go to causal or below level 15 and play some NEW complicated decks or your own designed deck. That will increase the previous 2 factors and bring back lots of fun.
    I just want to add to this, I started on the US servers last season just for shits and giggles and honestly all you face in ranked is full legend meta decks, I dont think i faced more than 5 homebrew/starter decks from beginning to rank 15

Try it and see what i mean, if you play eu just switch to US or other way round its crazy the decks at rank 20 are just tier one decks lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    I have a story for you sir

I'm on my pally
    Facing a shaman
    I have a full board with Tyrion and lightlord as my big bads
    Ready to end it next turn
    The guy plays literally everything he can
    My board wiped he has 2 giants at 10/12 and a couple taunts
    I have nothing but the last card I draw
    The heart of the cards was with me my friend
    Deathwing blessed me and destroyed my enemies
    They had 12hp
    I had 5hp
    They surrendered
    Sort of proves my point, after all the rng you still managed to have the winning card you were never going to lose that game..

The decisions you make can drastically effect the outcome of a game, it's really not just a case of going through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Here is a question, what shape would this game be in if it didn't have the WoW IP to feed off of?

I probably wouldn't of bothered
    Hearthstone isn't a good game.

There is a thought experiment people can do with any game. Take away the graphics, the sound, the UI and the smooth FPS (All of which Hearthstone actually excels at) and make Hearthstone a physical card game. Garbage. Absolute fucking garbage. The game isn't fun, it's just flashy, and comes with the weight of WoW IP association.

Like everyone else on the internet ofc.

If i win : i played super smart and are a god of this game ....

If i lost .... Blame RNG / other players netdeck that clearly needs no skill / Blame whatever card that is OP atm. and goes directly to a forum to complain.

well not really .....

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    This idea of "playing competitively" or whatever is just ridiculous, though.
    But it's super pro when you call out what card you're going to draw next and get it!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Hearthstone isn't a good game.

There is a thought experiment people can do with any game. Take away the graphics, the sound, the UI and the smooth FPS (All of which Hearthstone actually excels at) and make Hearthstone a physical card game. Garbage. Absolute fucking garbage. The game isn't fun, it's just flashy, and comes with the weight of WoW IP association.
    yes this
    my best friend played yu-gi-oh way back in time, and he claims that it is far better than wow in term of strategy, i played some card games too (not known as yugi) and i also agree that hearthstone 'strategy' is 99% 'pure skill'
    however the reason i didn't continue play them and played hearthstone instead is wow ip, nice sound and visuals, hearthstone has crap gameplay, perfect presentation, and since i'm casual and don't try to play 'pro', i can tolerate how 'pure skill' the game is
    however it always piss me off how some 'pro' hearthstone players try to push that u need 'skill' to win, i still remember how a 'pro' player lost in tournament in semi-final because his enemy psychic screamed a cleric of northsire back to enemy deck and enemy brain didn't comprehend if he use that 5 mana legendary card he won't get free hero power in that case and f8cked himself, the ONLY time i can think that needed very BASIC skill (see the card isn't yellow flashing) he couldn't do it, his mind that is used to hearthstone 'pure skill' couldn't function for that part
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Oooohhh it's such a painful topic for me! A loss is a tragedy which I can't take. Each time I'm screaming bad words

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippoflames View Post
    I've held on long enough. My enemy had board control the entire match, I kept managing to barely heal and occasionally clear. I got super low and eventually his cards start running out. Eventually I managed to turn it around and win.