Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient terminaltrip421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    [A] Azuremyst <US>
    Posts
    335

    display old character models? profession level-up with boost?

    sorry for more questions, been gone too long. and while I did read mmo-champ news with some regularity I clearly missed a lot. so, did they remove the ability to display old character models (with what was the exception of NEs at the time?) if so I don't imagine there's a cheap way to race swap a character? also, if you use your boost at level 60 does is still level your professions up with you? appreciate the help.

    edit: and how did the leveling scaling impact the likes of transmogrification runs? it looks like dungeons now scale with level to some degree? raids don't do they?
    Last edited by terminaltrip421; 2018-12-30 at 08:03 PM.

  2. #2
    I'm not sure there is the option to see the old models. Never seen it at least. Race change is only with money, or if you got a lot of gold you can potentially buy with in game gold the tokens off the AH, use them to fill your blizzard wallet and buy the race change that way.

    Boosts should still up professions if idd a character above 60, but not entirely sure. It did for me when I used a boost to 100 in Legion.

    Transmog runs have not changed much. The dungeons and raids are just at max level of their groups. So vanilla stuff is 10-60, tbc + wrath is 61-80, cata + pandaria is 81-90, wod 91-100, legion 101-110. At current max of 120, they all are at their respective max.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

  3. #3
    Immortal Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    7,877
    Old character models were removed back in June.

    I believe they stopped updating those rigs with new animations and they were ultimately abandoned.

  4. #4
    For a while, players could opt to use the old models instead, but this option was eliminated some time ago.

    Sometimes they've had sales for re-customization packages, and they've offered free realm-transfers in the past (probably won't see those again), but basically you've gotta pay the shop price or wait and hope for some sale in the future. I'm not sure if that's something you could do with WoW Tokens or not.

    Transmog runs are still do-able, and I understand that there's NPC's that will let you into the old LFR.

  5. #5
    I'm not sure if professions will still get boosted on characters >60 because they're divided by expansion now, so you will be able to start with the BfA recipes from the start without leveling through other expansions.

    If you run raids for transmog anything other than the last expansion will give you a damage boost, so WoD and below will be pretty trivial barring some awkward mechanics.

  6. #6
    The Insane Aeula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Posts
    16,326
    No and no.

    The option to display old models was removed due to Blizzard not wanting to update all the animations for them.

    Boosting a level 60+ character no longer gives a profession boost after BfA’s unfortunate revamp of professions and how you increase your skill with them.

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,075
    I can say with 100% certainty that boosting a character at 60+ does NOT max out their profession or increase it in any way what so ever.

  8. #8
    Yes dungeons scale slightly to level. a dungeon that is level 10-60 done at level 120 will be a level 60 dungeon. It's usually not a big deal if you're maxed.

    I think they removed the option when they updated all the character models with new class animations. I think we just got some of the paladin ones recently, but the updated Consecration was either cut or mis-implemented.

  9. #9
    The Patient terminaltrip421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    [A] Azuremyst <US>
    Posts
    335
    thanks all =)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Yes dungeons scale slightly to level. a dungeon that is level 10-60 done at level 120 will be a level 60 dungeon. It's usually not a big deal if you're maxed.

    I think they removed the option when they updated all the character models with new class animations. I think we just got some of the paladin ones recently, but the updated Consecration was either cut or mis-implemented.
    Heroic dungeons don't scale, they stay at the old cap of their expansion. Also for transmog purposes all the heroic-only gear in TBC now drops in non-heroic dungeons.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    No and no.

    The option to display old models was removed due to Blizzard not wanting to update all the animations for them.
    People like you are the reason why wow sucks now. Know nothing about the game itself but keep misleading other players on the forums with false information. I will provide you a new video to prove you are completely wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Yes dungeons scale slightly to level. a dungeon that is level 10-60 done at level 120 will be a level 60 dungeon. It's usually not a big deal if you're maxed.

    I think they removed the option when they updated all the character models with new class animations. I think we just got some of the paladin ones recently, but the updated Consecration was either cut or mis-implemented.
    Wrong. It is because vocal minority like you who hate other people's choice and keep asking blizzard to remove all content you don't like. LFR should be removed as well since they are mis-implemented, outdated and bad.

    --- snip ---

    - - - Updated - - -

    OP. You can try this wow old models project to bring back old models. Don't listen to trolls who knew nothing about the game but keep claiming false things since blizzard said nothing about it.

    --- snip ---

    --- snip ---

    --- snip ---
    Last edited by Aucald; 2019-01-01 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Removed Forbidden Topics

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post

    OP. You can try this wow old models project to bring back old models. Don't listen to trolls who knew nothing about the game but keep claiming false things since blizzard said nothing about it.
    The guy wasn't wrong, and in fact you're wrong. You CANNOT enable old models in-game with a toggle. Your "method" is editing the game files which is a bannable offense. Blizzard used to support the old models alongside the new models originally, but they no longer do it seems.

    Don't come off saying people know nothing about the game and spread misinformation when the solution you provide is to modify the files which you can be banned for if detected.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    The guy wasn't wrong, and in fact you're wrong. You CANNOT enable old models in-game with a toggle. Your "method" is editing the game files which is a bannable offense. Blizzard used to support the old models alongside the new models originally, but they no longer do it seems.

    Don't come off saying people know nothing about the game and spread misinformation when the solution you provide is to modify the files which you can be banned for if detected.
    You are absolutely wrong. What the project's doing is to enable toggles in the game db2 files database. It has nothing to do with neither models nor animations. The models and animations are produced by blizzard, not by the mods.

    You sound like removing other people's option is right and should be bannable.

    Like I said before, you have no idea what the game is doing and how the game works. I have proven you are liars. What's wrong with old models? What makes trolls like you hate them so much?
    Last edited by ncotht; 2019-01-01 at 08:17 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    You are absolutely wrong. What the project's doing is to enable toggles in the game db2 files database. It has nothing to do with neither models nor animations. The models and animations are produced by blizzard, not by the mods.

    You sound like removing other people's option is right and should be bannable.

    Like I said before, you have no idea what the game is doing. What's wrong with old models? What makes trolls like you hate them so much?
    He is not wrong, your stupid little project three people in the world want can get you banned. Now take it and get out.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    He is not wrong, your stupid little project three people in the world want can get you banned. Now take it and get out.
    He is wrong. Getting banned for using old models is better than just quitting the game for a lot of players like me.

    Also, without the bannable offense like gold selling or nostalrius server, character boost, things like wow token and classic server would never become reality. It is to push changes and solve problems.

    YOU THINK YOU DO BUT YOU DON'T.
    Last edited by ncotht; 2019-01-01 at 08:28 AM.

  16. #16
    Dreadlord Alkizon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Strasbourg
    Posts
    797

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Old character models were removed back in June.

    I believe they stopped updating those rigs with new animations and they were ultimately abandoned.
    Well, there are people who claim that technically they're still inside client. I don't know if it true or not, because I'm not good at this. But this is for sure, that ability to switch was removed completely. Another thing is that mode of switching itself, in which character appearance was equal to interface setting, is bad and not fair for RP game part (now for example there is no such thing). There is healthy alternative, that just required some effort from art team, which they didn't bother to spend at first. But since models set that is currently active doesn't correspond to old one in any way (work was initially bad and no settings can hide it) and it’s absolutely disgusting for me... well, in general, this is already not a question of this thread.

    As for the rest, then somehow too many and very fragmented inherently questions. I have always believed that it's much more interesting and productive to digest all this by own mind at first, but when real difficulties begin, to clarify a few points with friends... if they are still playing. Forum often takes away formation of own opinions and joy of achieving the goal on own, satisfaction with own capabilities. But, I suppose - to each his own.

    --- Edit ---
    Ouch was too lazy to browse below...
    @ncotht
    These aren't whole old models and we have already spoken about it (is it again you, China-guy?). Models are team unit of skins (character flat picture), frame (set of points for stretching skin over and their physics + geometry) and animations (a set of binding points inside the frame and associated with it according to a certain dependence - skeleton, which are directly responsible for visible animation = with help of which animator controls whole structure) - am I right? - without which I'll never accept any old frames as "models". What follows from this, the fact that I need entire model's kit, and not just old skin, which is partially stretched over new frame so that they perform all new (both) basic and not only animations. It follows from this, that stuff you show is not strictly old model, only its “ghost”. If this is enough for someone, then I'm happy for them, but it's absolutely unacceptable for me. And no, toggle is not a valid option, never was, but I already mentioned it above. So, man, "old models are not old models" - they really aren't and it's not a meme just observable stuff's figurative perception expression.

    tl;dr what you offers doesn't suit me at all, can't help it, I'll never accept this as "old model"

    ps. On the other hand, I would be completely satisfied with right-made new models right away - in full compliance with old, without occasional sick fantasies of new designers, literally as it was, which would not entail (already four-year) discussion of advantages and disadvantages of these changes. But they decided that they knew better and, as always, were fundamentally wrong.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-01-01 at 09:40 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

    __---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    Well, there are people who claim that technically they're still inside client. I don't know if it true or not, because I'm not good at this.
    It is true. Just read the cdn or extract files from CASC. https://bnet.marlam.in/files.php

    - - - Updated - - -

    I am not saying I completely agree with everything that old model playerbase claimed as well. In fact, a lot of their claims are false. Like "old models are not old models" meme.
    Sample false claims are :

    1. Legion's old models are just new models with old model textures. (How could you do this with different CV textures. Why do you make such claim before extracting files from client and use blender to handle m2 files?)
    2. Allied races (Allied races don't share any files with other races)
    3. Demon hunters (Proven false by this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmTnOS4FGGI)
    4. Character Customization. (False as well)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    Models are team unit of skins (character flat picture), frame (set of points for stretching skin over and their physics + geometry) and animations (a set of binding points inside the frame and associated with it according to a certain dependence - skeleton, which are directly responsible for visible animation = with help of which animator controls whole structure) - am I right?

    False. According to your definition, your "old models" were deleted in tbc. Blizzard changes animations every expansion. Even adding DK or monks = remove old models.

    One example:
    Last edited by ncotht; 2019-01-01 at 09:57 AM.

  18. #18
    Dreadlord Alkizon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Strasbourg
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    False. According to your definition, your "old models" were deleted in tbc. Blizzard changes animations every expansion. Even adding DK or monks = remove old models.
    No, man. This is just try for naggin of trifles, that's all. In fact, they were correctly upgraded in BC and in subsequent expansions up to MoP (where it happened last time) and their band of faithful updates ended exactly before WoD's pre-patch. That's all, man, just like that. Take it manfully dude, you're wrong here, but it's not horible, you're just a little confused in semantics.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    "Correctly." Then Legion's upgrade is a correct upgrade as well.

    Sorry, the animations in MoP weren't the same as what they did in vanilla. Do you know hunters in vanilla don't even have shoot animations? Or Do you know why blizzard needs artists to "recreate" old models and animations on classic?

    SO. YOU ARE FALSE
    No, they weren't, because here visual review comes into force, and since I see that models are “not similar in any way” and people have spent enough time to show it (so I'm not the only one), then we can safely say that we have empirical evidence that it's a fact (there were no such significant ones in previous expansions, basic animation never really changed visually from classics, but this mostly concerned just animation, they noticeably changed geometry for the first time exactly in WoD). They are different because they look different. I repeat, your tampering with words will not change anything here. The fact remains that they look and behave differently, and both conflict's parties essentially agree on this... you're the only one on the third line, man, sorry, and no technical side of the issue here is imperious, only perception. It's impossible to replace oval with trapezoid and then say that this is the same thing, is hint clear? (which relevant not only for geometry, but also for animations)

    As for the hunter's part: I don't mind adding stuff that wasn't, but I'm against changing or deleting what was, is it clearer? (it concerns this particular offtopic)

    SO, NO - YOU'RE!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    People like you are the problem. You vocal minority have no idea what you are talking about and give blizzard a signal and excuse "no matter how we upgrade old models, it would never be old models again. Then let's just remove old models" In fact, a lot of players enjoyed old models in legion
    Problem is still not in people, but that new models don't look like old ones, and no settings, no technical details change this
    (and I don't give sh*t about those people, who were content with small handouts, these are their problems, I need all of the above, not just trimming, since we're talking about finished, working, paid product)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    BTW. If you truly enjoy your "old models", you would have to go to play private servers since official classic server would NEVER have "no-changes" old models
    I guess this, so I don't play on official server since WoD begun (see signature), but there are a lot reasons to also don't deal with privat ones (ex. they're often preach an anti-RP "toggle/mode" approach; you should have already understood from previous one, that it's not only models themselves, but also the way they're "introduced" - toggles not allowed, only straight character customization options). Didn't you know? I'm waiting for Classic. Not that everything was fine for me in demo version (texture versions look to over-blurred and over-smoothed, looks like gloss, it isn't much suitable for them, and new water...), but this is at least something. Moreover, more cunning people already have a list of what isn't “accurate” even in terms of “models” - and this is great, this is what demo version was useful for
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    You are NOT old models community.
    In general, I think that I'm just "one from", but you called them that way in previous message, so you probably know better... oh, sorry, it was "playerbase" word, my mistake, apologize.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    ~ bla bla bla
    Old models are old models. Animations are NOT part of models.
    ~ bla bla bla
    You would always have to fix bugs, supporting the changes of engine whatever.
    -- snip --
    People like you are the disgrace of "old models" community. People are busy laughing at you TBH.
    And this is already funny, never ever before WoD. Strictly speaking: I never needed/asked for new models, I was completely satisfied with what was (add some additional elements of cross racial customization, possible, but change - never). Fix is not change, just a fix, no second meaning. In terms of perception: animations (guaranteed) are part of model, and “technical” point of view can't change this. I believe that the only representative of "old models" community you're considering yourself, do you? As for laughter... people saying that it prolongs life, means even if it's so, then nothing terrible happens (albeit I think you're wrong).
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    It is technically not possible to support so-called old models with old animations in legion.
    The fact that this is not done by them isn't proof of technical impossibility (technically it could be not same animations, but perceptually looking exactly the same, that's the point of previous "fixes/updates", how they will going to do it doesn't concern me, since they took it up, means they knew what they signed up for). Actually, you're now doing same as developers. I'm not interested in that, it doesn't matter. All that I see is that they couldn't correctly compare geometry and animations (with old) in new models, and all the rest is just trying to justify their own mistakes/inaction.

    I have once said that friend raised problem with new items conflict already 4 years ago, which means it was predictable, which means they had to figure out at first how to get around it before hurrying, but they didn't bother with it in time, it means there is only one mistake here - their, and I have nothing to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    "Exactly the same"
    What you want never existed in the world
    It existed before WoD, man, it really did. "use blender to try to do it": I don't care man, already told you, I care only perception part.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    Same thing, a lot of players like me won't mind blizzard changes any animation.
    There is a huge difference between adding and changing/deleting and this is the moment that you still don't want to understand. Do I need to interpret each of concepts in detail, or you can find them yourself in explanatory dictionary?
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    People don't even make any investigation before claiming anything.
    I don't see how that especially helped you
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    Then you should not mind 7.3 animation updates towards priests, mages; 8.0 animation update towards warlock and 8.1 animation updates towards paladin as well.
    No (see above part about "difference between adding and changing/deleting"). Fact is that they used to use other animations (including idle one) for "this set of abilities", which means that these animations were there (characters performed definite and characteristic sequence of actions, there were already there) - race+gender based philosophy, but they were replaced (= change), means such actions unacceptable, same applies to effects. Bu-ut, if they'd added really new ones! abilities and came up with new animations and effects for them, then this is already another conversation. But I’m a little off topic about what they are changing there now, I’m not interested - they spoiled basic set (since it and conceptual geometry (frames) have been exactly my main concern: base animations+shapes+colors - these are my claims) and this is completely enough for me to send them to hell.

    >> ̶t̶e̶m̶p̶o̶r̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶f̶k̶,̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶i̶n̶u̶e̶d̶.̶.̶.̶ It looks like the end for now, that's good, it would be necessary to remember it somewhere, so that we don't have to start whole discussion from the beginning if it will re-emerging somehow. Oh, I know, it's going to signature

    I don't worth of total your nerves that I can burn, man, cool down


    ps. And by the way, this discussion here is a frank offtopic and out of place, you'll catch ban and have to change your account again. Keep yourself under control don't disgrace us - "old models" community. There is no point in arguing about trivialities and among ourselves, when only real mistake here is the one Blizzard made when wrongly updating old models.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-04-03 at 12:53 PM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

    __---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    No, man, this is just try for naggin of trifles, that's all. In fact, they were correctly upgraded in BC and in subsequent updates up to MoP (where it happened last time) and their band of faithful updates ended exactly before WoD's pre-patch. That's all, man, just like that. Take it manfully dude, you're wrong here, but it's not horible, you're just a little confused in semantics.
    "Correctly." Then Legion's upgrade is a correct upgrade as well.

    Sorry, the animations in MoP weren't the same as what they did in vanilla. Do you know hunters in vanilla don't even have shoot animations? Or Do you know why blizzard needs artists to "recreate" old models and animations on classic? TBH, lightning effect on vanilla was terrible and the old models don't even look like old models in mop.

    SO. YOU ARE FALSE

    People like you are the problem. You vocal minority have no idea what you are talking about and give blizzard a signal and excuse "no matter how we upgrade old models, it would no longer be old models again. Then let's just remove old models" In fact, a lot of players enjoyed old models in legion

    BTW. If you truly enjoy your "old models", you would have to go to play private servers since official classic server would NEVER have "no-changes" old models Even a file format changes towards old models are not old models any more.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    ps. And by the way, this discussion here is a frank offtopic and out of place, you'll catch ban and have to change your account again. Keep yourself under control don't disgrace us - "old models" community. There is no point in arguing about trivialities and among ourselves, when only real mistake here is the one Blizzard made when wrongly updating old models.
    You are NOT old models community because you have no idea what "old models" are.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    Problem is still not in people, but that new models don't look like old ones, and no settings, no technical details change this
    (and I don't give sh*t about those people, who were content with small handouts, these are their problems, I need all of the above, not just trimming, since we're talking about finished, working, paid product)
    Problem is the people like you. It was the people like you who wanted to revamp models. It was the people like you who claimed old models are not old models. It is now you who want to create something which never existed in the world in order to ruin other player's experience.

    Old models are old models. Animations are NOT part of models. So you are wrong. Even models themselves are never meant to be "no-changes".

    It is not classic server. I would agree classic server with no changes. However, it is LIVE server which means nothing should be unchanged. You would always have to fix bugs, supporting the changes of engine whatever.

    - - - Updated - - -

    ps. And by the way, this discussion here is a frank offtopic and out of place, you'll catch ban and have to change your account again. Keep yourself under control don't disgrace us - "old models" community. There is no point in arguing about trivialities and among ourselves, when only real mistake here is the one Blizzard made when wrongly updating old models.
    People like you are the disgrace of "old models" community. Think why NE/BE had no old models since 7.0 or Draenei old models removed in 7.3 or Tauren old models removed in 7.3.5. All old models are just removed in BFA because you whiners keep whining "old models are not old models" shit.

    YOU ARE WRONG.
    People are busy laughing at you TBH.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Here was a video which showed why "old models are not old models" meme is false and what happened to old models in Legion. It is technically not possible to support so-called old models with old animations in legion. Not because of animations, demon hunters whatever. It is because of 3d armors.


    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    The fact that this is not done by them isn't proof of technical impossibility (technically it could be not same animations, but perceptually looking exactly the same, that's the point of previous "fixes/updates", how they will going to do it doesn't concern me, since they took it up, means they knew what they signed up for). Actually, you're now doing same as developers. I'm not interested in that, it doesn't matter. All that I see is that they couldn't correctly compare geometry and animations (with old) in new models, and all the rest is just trying to justify their own mistakes/inaction.
    "Exactly the same"
    What you want never existed in the world, how could you say "looking exactly the same". They changes models in order to support 3d amors. Show me a matrix how to correctly change the model in order to be "looking exactly the same". It is no mathematical solution.

    I have told you to watch videos. If you don't believe my words, then you can use blender to try to do it by yourself and you will understand you are wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    As for the hunter's part: I don't mind adding stuff that wasn't, but I'm against changing or deleting what was, is it clearer? (it concerns this particular offtopic)
    You won't mind =/= other players won't mind.

    Same thing, a lot of players like me won't mind blizzard changes any animation.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The thread like this shows exactly how bad wow community is. People don't even make any investigation before claiming anything.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    It existed before WoD, man, it really does. "use blender to try to do it": I don't care man, already told you, I care only visible part.
    There is a huge difference between adding and changing/deleting and this is the moment that you still don't want to understand. Do I need to interpret each of concepts in detail, or you can find them yourself in explanatory dictionary?
    Then you should not mind 7.3 animation updates towards priests, mages; 8.0 animation update towards warlock and 8.1 animation updates towards paladin as well. These classes have no specific animations before 7.3. Just like what blizzard added shooting animations to hunters. That is exactly what you mean of "adding" not "changing/deleting". I still remember the uproar in 7.3 since a lot of players don't like priests, mages specific animations.
    Last edited by ncotht; 2019-01-01 at 12:49 PM.

  20. #20
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    The thread like this shows exactly how bad wow community is. People don't even make any investigation before claiming anything.
    Yea, you seem to be a part of the bad community lol, cause holy damn you are completely rabid.

    Quote Originally Posted by ncotht View Post
    In fact, a lot of players enjoyed old models in legion
    So where do you have those facts?
    Last edited by mmoc2affe961ff; 2019-01-01 at 01:08 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •