Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Thanks for the all the input guys. Looks like I might give it a go.
    Would love to hear your impressions on the game after a week or 2.
    Next season start the 18th of January which will shake up the game a tiny bit. So I would also recommend trying that out.

Have fun with slaughtering Demons.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

If that $10 includes the expansion then absolutely it is worth it, if anything it is a steal. If it doesn't Blizzard is scamming you because you need the expansion to play the game.

i dont know. the game is not worthy that much, but people buy it as it's a sequel of the greatest Diablo II. and people have always expected Blizzard to make new one! and they know they can sale it no matter how ridiculous they charge the buyers.

Is Diablo 3 worth $9.99 just to play through once? Is it fun for that ONE time?
    If you enjoy the action rpg style of gameplay, yes, more than worth it. Especially if you have someone to play with.

I played through the whole campaign in PS4 local co-op with my brother (remembering the good old days of Champions of Norrath on PS2) and we had a blast.

Problem of D3 is longevity/replayability. The game itself is pretty fun and combat/playstyle is spot on. It all falls down on gearing/reward/content systems that are simply not tailored towards a game that should have lasted years.

For the sale price it's more than worth, you're gonna have fun.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Well, one thing to keep in mind, if you are really only going to play the game ONCE. You don't get all your skills until you hit level 70, and a playthrough at the easier difficulty levels will leave you at level 40ish, I think? Also, you don't get any of the set pieces until 70 I think, and those drastically change the way the game is played. I think a one time play through is probably worth $10, but realize you haven't even fleshed out your character at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    the game is much more than just 1 playthrough of the campaign (which i assume is what you mean by "one time" )

I bought this game at release, and have put hundreds of hours into it. The nice thing about d3 is that it's one of these games that you can forget about for 8-12 months completely, then come back to when you want a fix of mindless demon blasting, then put it away again. (just like I'm doing this weekend actually)

Absolutely worth 10 bucks, but if your idea is to simply finish the story 1 time.. maybe not?

Is Diablo 3 worth $9.99 just to play through once? Is it fun for that ONE time?
    IMO yes it's definitely worth $10.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    If you like that kind of games, I'd suggest you check out Path of Exile. Free to play and with better design than Diablo 3
    Is that the one developed by former Blizzard D2 employees?

D3 is an amazing game.. it just gets stale pretty quickly. You can definitely put at LEAST 20 hours into though before you're going to get bored. Definitely unequivocally worth $10. Most people who talk about how boring the game is have put hundreds of hours into it.

If you like that kind of games, I'd suggest you check out Path of Exile. Free to play and with better design than Diablo 3
    It certainly is a competitor, but "better design" is a subjective assessment. PoE's game systems are orders of magnitude more complex and more complicated than Diablo III's - to some people, that is a desirable thing; to others, it's a major turnoff. PoE is much more contingent on the theory part of the game, and mastering all of its various mechanics and systems, whereas Diablo III is more about mastering the playstyle (though both have elements of either, of course). In addition, PoE, while free, has some serious QoL constraints if you don't pay money (stash space especially); while in Diablo III you of course have to deal with QoL limitations as they are because you can't really buy more convenience (unless you're in China).

The two games are of the same genre, and clearly PoE is very much inspired by Diablo, even if it has evolved a lot in its own direction by now. But they're far from interchangeable.

Personally, I think D3 is a stellar investment if you're into this kind of game. One-time purchase, but lots of longevity, even if you stop playing intermittently. Thanks to seasons you can totally play hard for a weekend every few months, and then stop completely, and when the next season rolls around you can just repeat it all over without fear of falling behind or missing out. In terms of hours of fun for amount of money spent, it's a very, very good deal for most people.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2019-03-04 at 07:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 3 is the better initial experience while PoE has a lot more end gamish stuff to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    A very well written post. You're right, I should not have used the word "better" I will say though that I have no friends who prefer Diablo 3 over PoE because of the gameplay.
    I prefer d3 to poe. If I wanted to think I'd play another game, and if I want just mindless slaughter, d3 is easier to get into

A very well written post. You're right, I should not have used the word "better" I will say though that I have no friends who prefer Diablo 3 over PoE because of the gameplay.
    Not all that surprising, I suppose, since we tend to be more likely to make friends with people who have similar tastes to our own

For me, it's the exact opposite. We all tried PoE back in the day, and most recently with the new expansion; but neither me nor any of my friends kept playing for more than a day or two and we were all back to DIII on the new season.

People like different things in their games. Luckily DIII is cheap and PoE is free so it's easy to try and see where your own preferences lie.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    For ten bucks? Yeah, definitely. A single playthrough is definitely worth that, IMO, just to experience the world and the story and the action. The different classes only expand on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    People like different things in their games. Luckily DIII is cheap and PoE is free so it's easy to try and see where your own preferences lie.
    Agree. For me while D3 is obviously better in the gameplay compartment (combat's so fluid and responsive) the fact there's literally no depth in character building and item hunting is just a big let down. The last seasons i played were a matter of 2/3 days where i managed to level, gear up, beat GR70 and complete the journey. I simply find pushing GRs completely inane and useless until you're a fan of bragging rights and leaderboards.

That's why i like PoE much more at this point. I love planning out my build and skillset beforehand, and try then in game if it works. I play exclusively SSF so no trading or grouping, it's all about "let's see how far i can go with this" and the fact i know already that i cannot reach a status of "full BiS gear" leaves me with the feeling that i have always something to do or hunt for.

But again, it's just personal. It's not an objective parameter to judge one game better than the other. Both games have nailed some thing perfectly while others are lackluster. It just happens that D3 has too much lackluster things while PoE managed to get out more stuff from the limited resources they had at the beginning.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

diablo3 WITH reaper of souls expansion is worth the price for solo play.

But it gets MUUUUUUCHHHHH better if you have a friend or two to play with.

Frankly speaking for casual players the biggest difference between Diablo3 and PoExile is that in D3 you can respec as much as you want, while on PoExile it is very expensive to do a FULL respec (unlearn all skills and specializations).

So if ur going POE its a great game just try to pick a popular and simple build guide so that your char isnt useless when you reach max level.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2019-03-05 at 08:43 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest anywhere up to about $25-30 as the highest price to pay for D3 if someone wanted to play it. I got 100's of hours out of it.

Even if it is in maintenance mode, Diablo is still mindless fun, I have a DH right now that can one shot everything in lvl 70+ GRs, and it doesn't sound like fun, but it is.