Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Savagedragn View Post
    Will we ACTUALLY get back to people communicating with each other in Classic?.
    Players took communication out so players are the ones that will have to put it back in.

Yes, but for the most part just temporarily.

Short term small communication during quests/dungeons sure. But the community today is not as open to making long term friendships as it was back in 2006.
    Exceptions will happen of course and WoW Vanilla is one of the best places that could facilitate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Of course it'll bring back player communication. It happens on every vanilla server and it's happening on the beta.

Communication never went away because the internet advanced. It went away because Blizzard slowly killed it by adding features.
    this is a myth.

cant wait for it to be demolished by how people will behave when classic comes out

unless you belive that you as no name player will have the same experience as streamers with 20 drones following them 24/7 feeding them gear and boosting them through instances

if you do belive that - oh boy you are in for a real shock

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    That is not the core of MMORPGs "for me", that is objectively the fundamental system of MMORPG games in general. Like this isn't even something that can be argued, or is a matter of perspective. The game type is literally built around doing the same thing over and over, but with higher mob stats, higher player stats, and higher stats on gear. It has nothing to do with BfA or Vanilla, that is just the core of the entire game genre. It is the same thing in Aion, Tera, Rift, Warhammer Online, Runescape, TOR, Knight Online, whatever. MMOs are almost entirely built around a progression system that is fundamentally "Do what you have been doing since level one, but now your damage is a higher number, the mobs health is a higher number, and there are higher numbers on the gear the mob drops."

It doesn't matter that games are """"""old"""""". In fact, it'd be the exact opposite, this is literally a system born out of tabletop and classic RPGs, which is exactly why newer systems tend to downplay that progression in favor of visual and vanity rewards, because most gamers aren't all that interested in incremental stat increases in modern games.

I get that you want to pretend Vanilla is some deeper, innovative thing, but it isn't. It trades multi-difficulty for lower drop rates, and "item level" for unlisted incremental stat increases that function in exactly the same way i.e. you hit slightly harder, you kill a slightly tankier thing that does slightly more damage and it drops a piece of gear that has slightly higher stats.
    You are so wrong I don't know where to start. So I'll keep it short and start on the only thing, you got right. Old RPGs, WoW included, took inspiration from table top games - because that's what devs were playing in their free time and they believed they can transform it into video game. In games like D&D you weren't playing because you wanted to farm gear, you played it, because you have good times with your friends and you want immerse yourself into that little piece of fantasy world - and good items were the reward for your character - your weren't playing to get better loot, you got better loot because you were playing. That's how I played Vanilla WoW. I didn't want to farm +5 item levels on my items, I just want see, if we can get Ragnaros down and If I got item I wanted? Great, if I didn't ..well, I still did something great in the game and could move on for other things.

Not saying I never farmed anything. I did. But because the item i could get was unique in a sense. It wasn't generic gloves #99 with some artificial iLvL number. Gear in Vanilla wow were basically unlocking you new things and interesting content, gearing in current WoW just allows you to play "greater rifts" with higher number. I am playing Diablo for this shit, but WoW is just horrible game for this type of gameplay IMO.

I am not pretending Vanilla is innovative. It's just old school based on different philosophy. Vanilla WoW still believe it can be this world, you can immerse yourself into. Current WoW abandoned this idea altogether and just present you bombastic story and put you on treadmill as soon as possible - without meaningful goal.

EDIT: It is longer than I hoped. Well, sorry for that

I noticed people on classic are just a bunch of people who want to talk about nostalgia and having a chit chat in /trade or /general.
    Look IGAF about talking with some nick name or make virtual friend, just pull shit so we can get out of this fucking place asap, don’t care about this community sentiment but for fuck sake, I’m not here to chat, let’s get done with this shit

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    let’s get done with this shit
    Typical modern WoW player. But after a quick look at BfA I can see why you;d call it that amd want to get it over with asap.

Classic is a BLAST!

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    You are so wrong I don't know where to start. So I'll keep it short and start on the only thing, you got right. Old RPGs, WoW included, took inspiration from table top games - because that's what devs were playing in their free time and they believed they can transform it into video game. In games like D&D you weren't playing because you wanted to farm gear, you played it, because you have good times with your friends and you want immerse yourself into that little piece of fantasy world - and good items were the reward for your character - your weren't playing to get better loot, you got better loot because you were playing. That's how I played Vanilla WoW. I didn't want to farm +5 item levels on my items, I just want see, if we can get Ragnaros down and If I got item I wanted? Great, if I didn't ..well, I still did something great in the game and could move on for other things.

Not saying I never farmed anything. I did. But because the item i could get was unique in a sense. It wasn't generic gloves #99 with some artificial iLvL number. Gear in Vanilla wow were basically unlocking you new things and interesting content, gearing in current WoW just allows you to play "greater rifts" with higher number. I am playing Diablo for this shit, but WoW is just horrible game for this type of gameplay IMO.

I am not pretending Vanilla is innovative. It's just old school based on different philosophy. Vanilla WoW still believe it can be this world, you can immerse yourself into. Current WoW abandoned this idea altogether and just present you bombastic story and put you on treadmill as soon as possible - without meaningful goal.

EDIT: It is longer than I hoped. Well, sorry for that
    "I didn't pay attention to the mechanics I just had fun" doesn't change what those mechanics are and were. I can play an FPS game "to have fun with my friends!!!! and if I kill someone great" but that doesn't somehow make shooting and being first person not the fundamental gameplay mechanic. Having fun with your friends and not caring about gear doesn't change the fact that incremental progression of repetitive encounters is the fundamental gameplay mechanic of MMORPGs.

You can ignore gear and just play with your friends in modern wow, but muh narrative. Vanilla was absolutely generic gloves #99 with artificial minor stat increase, are you joking? Lmao "unlocking new things and interesting content!!!" Please.

Definitely. You either communicate, or you probably don't like the game so you won't play it anyway.

"I didn't pay attention to the mechanics I just had fun" doesn't change what those mechanics are and were. I can play an FPS game "to have fun with my friends!!!! and if I kill someone great" but that doesn't somehow make shooting and being first person not the fundamental gameplay mechanic. Having fun with your friends and not caring about gear doesn't change the fact that incremental progression of repetitive encounters is the fundamental gameplay mechanic of MMORPGs.
    While it is true that incremental progression and repetitive encounters go together in MMORPGs, the single most important aspect to great MMORPGs is immersion (the feeling that power is growing and resistance is overcome), and the way in which progression and grinding come together serves to bolster or break that immersion. Multiple difficulty levels activated through menu choices and gear that is the exact same (in lore, in name, in appearance, in stats) but slightly adjusted are breakers of immersion.

You can ignore gear and just play with your friends in modern wow, but muh narrative. Vanilla was absolutely generic gloves #99 with artificial minor stat increase, are you joking? Lmao "unlocking new things and interesting content!!!" Please.
    You are still not getting it.

In current wow, I can play just some stupid world quest and I am ready to slay the biggest badass bosses in the world like no problem. It's basically Diablo, no immersion, just "number game". So why farm better gear? Just to do same thing again with +1 modifier? Seriously?

In Vanilla, you got your gear from raid/reputation/dungeon or quest line and you jumped in power in a way, you can now finally try different content. You can play harder dungeons or enter the raid. Now you killed Ragnaros and got your gear, you are ready for Nefarian. You may call it tedious, I call it immersive. In current WoW, this doesn't exist anymore. It's all about time - the most basic content in the game scales together with raid "tiers", so you really don't need to do anything. Just do stupid daily quest and go kill the worst, Azeroth has to offer. You may call it functional, i call it boring.

If you still believe, these are basically same systems, I think you are the guy, who is not paying attention.

You are still not getting it.

In current wow, I can play just some stupid world quest and I am ready to slay the biggest badass bosses in the world like no problem. It's basically Diablo, no immersion, just "number game". So why farm better gear? Just to do same thing again with +1 modifier? Seriously?

In Vanilla, you got your gear from raid/reputation/dungeon or quest line and you jumped in power in a way, you can now finally try different content. You can play harder dungeons or enter the raid. Now you killed Ragnaros and got your gear, you are ready for Nefarian. You may call it tedious, I call it immersive. In current WoW, this doesn't exist anymore. It's all about time - the most basic content in the game scales together with raid "tiers", so you really don't need to do anything. Just do stupid daily quest and go kill the worst, Azeroth has to offer. You may call it functional, i call it boring.

If you still believe, these are basically same systems, I think you are the guy, who is not paying attention.
    I dont think you will kill mythic Jaina with worldquest gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Communication is required for Classic, yes.
    If you're strictly a solo player that hates interacting with other humans, you are not going to have a good time. I'm also very confused as to why you'd try to play an MMORPG if the whole "MMO" thing isn't your deal.
    Communication is not required as much as you hope it to be. A pst to get into a group. The odd 'ok' to acknowledge you understand and you are done. Seems like the same communication needed for all pug content in retail. What is this mystical communication needed in classic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Hellcleaver View Post
    I dont think you will kill mythic Jaina with worldquest gear.
    I can kill Jaina with worldquest gear with finger in my nose. That's the whole point. I really couldn't care less about mythic at all.

However, if Heroic or Mythic would be the only way, how I can meet Jaina in fight, I would be actually interested to play WoW and try to kick her skiny ass.

I can kill Jaina with worldquest gear with finger in my nose. That's the whole point. I really couldn't care less about mythic at all.

However, if Heroic or Mythic would be the only way, how I can meet Jaina in fight, I would be actually interested to play WoW and try to kick her skiny ass.
    Ye well i dont think you would tbh. If your reason for not going mythic is that lfr exists you are just a casual simple as that and its not a bad thing by any means but dont go saying u can kill the hardest boss with wq gear when its simply not true.

Sure it will. Since classic dont have shared mob tag and quests that actually can be hard and requires a group to do, we gotta talk to people.

"Hey, want to group up and clear these mobs together?"

"Hey, im on this difficult quest were I need to kill a defias leader, can you help me out or are you on this quest too?"

"Hey. Are you also farming nodes in this area? For how long?"

"Hey. Horde are ganking alliance in STV north, better stay away."

And then theres also the fact that alot of dungeon runs takes a long ass time(form group, travel there, clear it). Lots of downtime, so more people will probably be inclined to start chatting with people.

I also want to add that the name of this thread is just simply wrong. You cant bring back something that hasnt gotten removed. Yes communication has decreased over years in most easy and open world content but saying that communication doesnt exists when you guys only run lfr and low lvl mythic dungeons is factualy wrong. So more proper title would will classic Improve communication.

I think their point is that for every increase in power you got, you came closer to new content (actual change in scenery, surroundings, enemies, and of course difficulty), while in modern wow, getting an increase in power only gets you closer to completing a higher difficulty, which is exactly the same scenery, surroundings and enemies. It feels like a carrot you will never catch, because obtaining a higher number doesn't feel as good as downing an entirely new boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    We were created by the biblical God.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    There's as much evidence for Santa as for darwinian evolution.
    The irony

The kind of communication Classic "brings back" is:

"LFM 2 DPS (Mage preferred) 1 Healer to Zul Farrak"

Yes, the kind of thing that could be done much easier and faster with a LFD tool.

Actual communication in the group when doing more challenging content has never left.

No it won't.

One of the first add ons will be a lfg tool that automates everything but the travel to the instance.

wow so much communication so much fun

lfg / lfm
    lf 1 tank 1 heal for xxx

port pls
    water pls
    buff pls

so fun yeah !!!!
    Last edited by joggerwearerlol; 2019-05-26 at 12:13 PM.