Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Players will have to become 'social' again, or they wont get very far in a Vanilla environment. its so insanely different than what the game is now. Its literally two different games which will require a completely different mindset if current players want to do vanilla.

There is no LFG, LFD LFR or whatever they're calling it these days. No easy modes. No 'magic arrows' to point you to things. The mobs hit like trucks. Your character is very weak vs the environment compared to today with relatively very little health and damage dealing potential. No free meal tickets. No loot falling from the skies or given freely from vendors. Everything must be worked for and earned, both socially and game play skill wise. Be prepared to grind your asses off and learn your class, as well as play well with others.
    Last edited by Demithio; 2019-02-11 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo

thats not at all what i was saying but i get the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    This never happened to the extent you and people like you pretend it did. Stop the lies. If you were good enough you could be an asshole and still be in a guild. If you were good enough you could be an asshole and still get into almost any group.
    We had a Dwarf Priest with a gnome helmet staying on the bridge and flaming people all day, he got invited for every party and was in the top because he knew what he was doing. Not saying that we all should be a-holes, but people generally are only nice to get what they want in the end. There are some genuinely nice people though, but it's to a degree more rare than we like to admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    It's not popular because the developers believe it's not what players want. And they believe what players want is instant gratification, preferably amplified by lootboxes. They may not be wrong for the majority of players, after all, that is what the market told them. Coincidentally, the same majority of players that do not enjoy grindy, hard games, don't play MMORPGs. This is why many MMORPGs are failing, anyway, they are trying to put mainstream practices into a genre that is very much NOT mainstream. This doesn't mean there isn't a significant number of players who are looking for exactly the type of gameplay that Vanilla provided - a hard, time-consuming and highly "craftable" gameplay. If this wasn't true, private servers wouldn't have dozens of thousands of players after all those years. Them being free is not an explanation, either - there's a lot of other F2P MMOs out there now, that are better than the highly limited WoW that the private servers provide.

Like it or not, Vanilla will have some hundreds of thousands of players even after the initial bubble bursts. I personally doubt it will reach a million players even at launch, but an MMO, especially one that will pretty much be in maintenance state right after launch, doesn't need millions of subs. Vanilla will be fine with 100k players worldwide, and it WILL have at least as much.
    The only reason I personally like to play MMORPG's is because of the character building aspect, that includes getting through some tedious stuff to get to the good parts. Effort should equal reward and that is fine. I fully agree here.
    But there will be no serious demands for new Vanilla content. Some people play Vanilla for years upon years on private servers, and they are not getting bored. PvP, for one, provides great replayability, and then the gearing process is much, much slower. Classes also play completely different. It's not retail, where if you've played one melee DPS spec, you've basically played them all.

And then, if Blizzard sees a big turn-off of players from Vanilla after 2 years or so, releasing TBC servers is a safe call.
    I would love TBC but wouldn't mind Kara in Vanilla if they never release it either. I am still an advocate of the OSRS approach, but that might be too much to ask for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    So we're expecting them to continue this trend of re releasing expansions. Lol. Awful for the game.

PVP was good in vanilla because of the game at the time - today it would be considered absurdly imbalanced. Vanilla servers are popular because they're FREE and have high turn over rates.
    I liked TBC PvP more, I would rate Wotlk and Vanilla around the same PvP wise. It isn't perfect but I prefer unique toolkits above everyone having the exact same toolkits and balance. Pokemon isn't balanced at all and is still extremely popular competitively. There is a degree of balance in imbalance if it's done somewhat right ;>
    I'll take the "absurdly imbalanced" over "homogenized to the extent every arena/BG plays the same" every day. Vanilla PvP was rock/paper/scissors, and was made strictly with larger scale PvP in mind, where any imbalance is balanced by having 2 large teams covering their weaknesses and amplifying their strengths. Nowadays, it's like everyone is a rock, except one rock can heal other rocks, one throws pebbles at others, and the other charges around and bashes the other rocks in melee.

Vanilla servers aren't popular because they are free. They are a limited version of the game, by no means a close recreation of what Vanilla used to be. There's dozens of free MMOs that are better than Vanilla private servers. People still play on them because they miss what Vanilla was.

I don't see what's awful with releasing at least TBC servers after Classic.
    I love you
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Due Raid bosses only dropping a rather low amount of items, it takes a long time to get even close to decent gear.
    After all, lockout presenting a natural throttle on gear acqusition is how the game has worked for ages.

Then there's also the fact that Blizzard staggers content.

Those that like Vanilla perhaps?
    People that min-max aren't casuals, they're used to putting effort into the game, Vanilla is especially rewarding to people that put a lot of time into it.

To be honest, i'm beginning to believe your definition of "min maxers" is different.
    If I play a lot, I want to be rewarded more than the ordinary Joe. If that ordinary Joe can catch up 2 weeks later with way less hours and effort spend, people that like to max everything out will start feeling demotivated. I wholeheartedly agree with this statement!
    Last edited by Shisui-kun; 2019-02-12 at 12:57 AM.

To answer to topic: Hopefully! There is already a greate set of ppl playing on the private scene. If Blizzard convince that crowd, they will succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    ^ this. Dosn't metter if
    but conditions only matters (even if community will remain "same", it's just their behavior will change ). Of course, this doesn't happen immediately, but people will adapt. It has always been and always will be: people (mechanisms' regulation rules) don't change, they always adapt or die

~ people won't change, but only be forced to adjust their behavior in order to be successful within established system (this, by the way, doesn't negate their ability to create groups with alternative survival philosophy, the only question is how long they'd can stabile survive)

Naturally, hype around Classic and its “survival conditions” may help a little in favorable outcome, but everything will depend on how much devs succeed in authenticating experience = playing conditions. All conversations and work will be empty without them. Moreover, these aren't just loud words, because even such trifle as chat moderation rules can be important, since is main mechanism of communication = valid condition (illogical/cheat-able/brutal conditions leads to desire for attackers to take advantage of them, and for respectable people - to avoid of using).
    Well, it doesn't refute expressed views, rather complements them. I don't see much controversy, only that someone felt need (=demand) for communication (couldn't find it with decent eng subs, sorry) so it just has happened. Secondary cause isn't important here, conditions have contributed to this.

Something like that... yeap.

Also from here:
    Yes, people will adapt, but only because the worst players won't really stick around for long. Well, that's what i think anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    I believe you won't last long in Classic unless you do communicate, especially if you plan to do group related content. Even if you only do emotes you will have to do more communication than what most do on current expac servers today.

7+ Year Old Account

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Yes, people will adapt, but only because the worst players won't really stick around for long. Well, that's what i think anyway.
    I'd venture to explain that any viable finally formed system strives for self-support and -regulation and that is why it's important not to "mess up" with launch and organization of "exactly same" conditions - which will help formation of exactly same closed system of relationships and dependencies (this is, by the way, one of moments why I don't understand the reason behind devs which year continue to mock "organism”)... but only I'm tired of doing it again already. No one, apparently, take into account simple well-known truths. It remains to hope for the best and wait for what will happen next
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-05-27 at 11:28 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Do Mythic+ if you want communication.
    Many groups wont go without discord.
    Mythic raiding, obviously its mandatory too.

Talking in game is usually not a good thing.
    If you are typing, it means you aren't pressing skills, and it usually means you are either inexperienced and need guidance, or are arguing with some one else.

I don't know what this mystique of "communication" has arisen from, but other than role players and noobs, people will still communicate the same way they do now, mostly outside of game in discord.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Do Mythic+ if you want communication.
    Many groups wont go without discord.
    Mythic raiding, obviously its mandatory too.

Talking in game is usually not a good thing.
    If you are typing, it means you aren't pressing skills, and it usually means you are either inexperienced and need guidance, or are arguing with some one else.

I don't know what this mystique of "communication" has arisen from, but other than role players and noobs, people will still communicate the same way they do now, mostly outside of game in discord.
    Do players have to do mythic+? No they can just join easy mods and finish game there. Nobady cares about artificial difficulty sliders for content what they have alredy done. There wont be any community if your game will have accessible content. Never. And yes even players whar do not want communicate should be forced becouse this is mmorpg and not some single player arpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Communication is required for Classic, yes.
    If you're strictly a solo player that hates interacting with other humans, you are not going to have a good time. I'm also very confused as to why you'd try to play an MMORPG if the whole "MMO" thing isn't your deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Do players have to do mythic+? No they can just join easy mods and finish game there. Nobady cares about artificial difficulty sliders for content what they have alredy done. There wont be any community if your game will have accessible content. Never. And yes even players whar do not want communicate should be forced becouse this is mmorpg and not some single player arpg.
    If you do easy mode you have not finished the game, easy mode usually lack mechanics, you can't earn certain achivement/title/mounts

That slippery slope of saying "Doing myth+ mythic raiding is not relevant" I really don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Murthag View Post
    If you do easy mode you have not finished the game, easy mode usually lack mechanics, you can't earn certain achivement/title/mounts

That slippery slope of saying "Doing myth+ mythic raiding is not relevant" I really don't understand it.
    Yes you did. Thats what players like you dont get. Majority of people consider it as finished game. Nobady cares about titles you can earn them next patch or expansio. Nobady cares about mounts you can earn them next patch, buy boost, or farm next expansion. Not mentioning most people have 300+ mounts anyway so another new mount no matter how good looking is really isnt that fun reward. Achievements again nobady cares about some filled bars what nobady can see without putting effort into inspecting someone. In classic you can actualy instanly tell what progression player done by just looking at their gear.

New difficutly isnt new content it is same content but harder and iniciative to actualy do harder content isnt there at all. Classic is far more appealing and far more fun to participate in different types of content exactly for that fact there are no difficulty levels. It is far more fun complete Wailing Cavers than Wailing Caverns +1,+2,+3 etc...
    And i am not metioning how fragmented community is becouse of this.

You can say how is moder game harder becouse of mythic +10 or mythic raiding. Fact that you have to use difficulty slider type of excuse to defend retail content only proves its in horrible state. No matter what you say. As long as moder wow will have easy mods it never will be harder than classic becouse game difficulty is determined by lowest possible difficutly.

There is so many games what are pretty hard on hard difficulty yet only about 1 it is said all the time. Darks Souls. Even when some games can be harder on hardest difficulty level DS will be alwers mentioned as number 1, becouse it has no easy mod. You do 1 set difficulty or you wont finish game. And thats how it should be.
    Last edited by Elias01; 2019-05-25 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kronides View Post
    The game will be an older version of the game, but the community will not be an older version of the community (the "better community" of vanilla is largely mythical, anyway). You'd better believe there will be lots of min-maxers who want to zerg through everything ASAP. And people WERE kicked from groups in vanilla for perceived incompetence, etc.

Of course, not everybody will be like that. But everybody isn't like that now in BfA.
    and we have a winner.

/Thread
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Murthag View Post

I have question.. how it is relevant for average player? Where is the "fun"? It's really doing same thing for 5 more item levels really the soul of MMORPG games? Isn't that just bad ARPG or looter shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    It's really doing same thing for 5 more item levels really the soul of MMORPG games?
    Yes. That is quite literally exactly what MMORPGs are fundamentally based around. Doing the same thing you just did (picking up items, kill a thing using spells, clearing a dungeon, etc.) but with higher health/damage numbers, for gear with higher numbers on it. The difference between killing wolves in Northshire Abbey and killing wolves in eastern Elwynn, and killing wolves in Duskwood, and killing wolves in Felwood is largely just higher numbers and high numbered gear.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2019-05-25 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Yes. That is quite literally exactly what MMORPGs are fundamentally based around. Doing the same thing you just did (picking up items, kill a thing using spells, clearing a dungeon, etc.) but with higher health/damage numbers, for gear with higher numbers on it.
    Damn, so I was playing wrong MMORPGs for years I guess.

Damn, so I was playing wrong MMORPGs for years I guess.
    It's more that you just never actually paid any attention to what you were playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    It's more that you just never actually paid any attention to what you were playing.
    Look, if that is really the core of MMORPGs for you, I am not surprised you can enjoy current WoW. But it was never reason, why I played MMORPGs. And no, I was and am paying attention, that's why I enjoyed Classic when I had chance, why I enjoy many old games and why I am bored to death by BfA.
    Last edited by ManiaCCC; 2019-05-25 at 11:02 PM.

Look, if that is really the core of MMORPGs for you, I am not surprised you can enjoy current WoW. But it was never reason, why I played MMORPGs. And no, I was and am paying attention, that's why I enjoyed Classic when I had chance, why I enjoy many old games and why I am bored to death by BfA.
    That is not the core of MMORPGs "for me", that is objectively the fundamental system of MMORPG games in general. Like this isn't even something that can be argued, or is a matter of perspective. The game type is literally built around doing the same thing over and over, but with higher mob stats, higher player stats, and higher stats on gear. It has nothing to do with BfA or Vanilla, that is just the core of the entire game genre. It is the same thing in Aion, Tera, Rift, Warhammer Online, Runescape, TOR, Knight Online, whatever. MMOs are almost entirely built around a progression system that is fundamentally "Do what you have been doing since level one, but now your damage is a higher number, the mobs health is a higher number, and there are higher numbers on the gear the mob drops."

It doesn't matter that games are """"""old"""""". In fact, it'd be the exact opposite, this is literally a system born out of tabletop and classic RPGs, which is exactly why newer systems tend to downplay that progression in favor of visual and vanity rewards, because most gamers aren't all that interested in incremental stat increases in modern games.

I get that you want to pretend Vanilla is some deeper, innovative thing, but it isn't. It trades multi-difficulty for lower drop rates, and "item level" for unlisted incremental stat increases that function in exactly the same way i.e. you hit slightly harder, you kill a slightly tankier thing that does slightly more damage and it drops a piece of gear that has slightly higher stats.

It will bring back communication. Some of it will be positive communication. Some of it will be negative as fuck. That is a risk when humans interact with each other. Both the good and the bad are part of the experience.