Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Good luck on your adventures

10+ Year Old Account
    With external cooling and carefully selected graphics options it should run WoW good enough. If you'll manage to keep CPU at 4 GHz, it'll run fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Heffladin View Post
    http://a.co/d/2Ip63rD
    I mean, were those 600$ your absolute maximum budget? because I think the one I listed here is vastly better for the asking price.
    I'd go for this one too. It's superior to the one the OP is looking at for just a few extra bucks.

Deleted
    you should have got an MSI GT72 as they're selling about £500 now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    With external cooling and carefully selected graphics options it should run WoW good enough. If you'll manage to keep CPU at 4 GHz, it'll run fine.
    That cpu can't go above 1,8GHz.

Haven't seen or heard a single person managing to get any juice out of it. figuratively speaking of cause.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    That cpu can't go above 1,8GHz.

Haven't seen or heard a single person managing to get any juice out of it. figuratively speaking of cause.
    It's rated for a 4GHz turbo, but yeah, doubt any laptop makers will put enough cooling to let it

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It's rated for a 4GHz turbo, but yeah, doubt any laptop makers will put enough cooling to let it
    For the price and the fact that its not a gaming laptop no. It will get too hot to stay at 4GHz.

Here is a video on external vacuum fans. Opening up a laptop to add a better cpu thermal paste might get you 3 degrees cooler. These external vacuum fans can get you over 10 degrees cooler. Something to keep in mind if the cooling system is subpar for $600.

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to share my experience with this gaming laptop because people in the market for a cheap gaming laptop would be interested in my experience with it, especially since I play WoW.
    Yes it would be boring to read about a 1080p notebook with 1060/1070 GPU for world of warcraft, because it runs good with default setting.

btw I made a cheap NETBOOK (150-200EUR) with nvidia ION able to run WoW with 25-30fps, you can get pretty OKish results if you tweak the ingame and config.wtf settings a bit. People assume dogshit results because they use dogshit windows configuration on theier desktop, but you can shrink windows to a really "tiny" size... The crazy part about this NETtoasters is the battery, you can PLAY WoW MOBILE for 5-6 hours or read/watch videos for 11-12+.
    And I will never get how people pay 1000 EUR for a stupid tablet, while there are tons of same size/weight netbooks for 150ish EUR, running longer on battery, with a propper keyboard and OS to do everyday task with the typical RDP-MediaServer things you have to do and with hold on - a NON-GLARE screen, usable outside of your basement.
    Last edited by Ange; 2019-01-01 at 09:04 PM.

Got the laptop today! I set graphics to 4, turned off shadows, bumped particle density and texture resolution to high. Also 1080p.

I get 80-100 FPS out in the world. I get 50-70 in Boralus. In raids just walking around not in combat I get 50-70. In a raid fight I get 35-45, occasionally it dips to 25 at worst but no stuttering at all. Very nice. Haven't tweaked the laptop at all.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-01-02 at 08:55 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Don't really see the point of the thread.

You are trying to justify buying a shit laptop when you could have spent the $100-$200 of you saved and got a much better one.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Flagship...=laptop+gaming
    $720.00 & FREE Shipping
    15.6" diagonal FHDLED-backlit (1920 x 1080) Display, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory
    7th Gen Intel Core i5-7300HQ Processor (2.5 GHz, turbo boost up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache), Backlit Keyboard
    8GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 256GB SSD , 1x Multi-format SD media card reader, Full Keyboard with 10-key numeric keyboard, Bluetooth
    1 USB 3.1 Type-C, 1 x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x RJ45, Bluetooth, Headphone/Microphone combo jack, HD Webcam
    The Laptop you bought isn't intended to have gaming on it at all, Its also very likely its going to run hot even if you run a simi-demanding game.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-01-02 at 08:54 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Don't really see the point of the thread.

You are trying to justify buying a shit laptop when you could have spent the $100-$200 of you saved and got a much better one.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Flagship...=laptop+gaming

The Laptop you bought isn't intended to have gaming on it at all, Its also very likely its going to run hot even if you run a simi-demanding game.
    You could play that game forever. I could spend $100-200 more than the one you listed and gotten and even better one. But then I could have spent yet another $100-200 more and gotten and then better one than that. I set a price point of $600 and got this. Works great!

You could play that game forever. I could spend $100-200 more than the one you listed and gotten and even better one. But then I could have spent yet another $100-200 more and gotten and then better one than that. I set a price point of $600 and got this. Works great!
    Like I said your trying to justify buying a shit laptop.

Price Point is $600....Ok

You could have spent $600 at a pawn shop and got a better laptop (Like a used Alienware gaming laptop for around $500 or less)
    You could have went to a store like Best Buy and bought a open boxed laptop that is much better.
    You could have shopped around on many websites that are running deals right now.

There is many options you could have went with and you are now trying to brag about a shit laptop you bought. Its shit period and you should return it if you can, get your money back and actually buy something decent even at that price point.

Once again I honestly don't see the point of this thread, you are not going to like the feedback you got. You bought a bad laptop for gaming period.

Also spoiler that thing will never turbo boost to 4.0GHZ and if by some magically chance it does it won't keep it. That laptop does not have the cooling you need to do so.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-01-02 at 09:03 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Someone actually uploaded a video to youtube running BfA with this exact laptop. There are just in the starting zone but they set the graphics to 8 and the FPS around 60-80. Also, he's using the i5 and not the i7 version that i got.

Those starting zones were desigend >10 years ago for contemporary hardware and are in no way representative for current WoW. Heck, i bought a laptop half a year ago with i7 16GB ram and a 1060 with 6GB Vram, and i wouldn't dare calling mine a gaming laptop, it's middle class that is capable of running some games. 600 bucks is not a bad price for that computer, but i guess you won't have much fun playing games with it.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's either extreme example of Buyers Remorse, or a not so well hidden advert.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Have to agree with what other posters have commented: not a gaming laptop. Look, I will give that it is a decent to good laptop for work/school, but gaming on those laptops is not that good at all. I have owned a couple of Acers in the past, and while I was able to play on low settings, even then it got distorted and choppy when it mattered. Heck, even the video you posted the persons FPS dipped just by turning and looking at a new area, dipping in the 40's when he looked at fire, drops when he was casting smite. Now imagine that with 9-24 other people on screen and guarantee he sees 10-15 FPS. Again, i have owned a couple of these in the past and that's about what you get in raids, small groups fair better but not by much.

$600 isn't terrible for that laptop though, but that GPU and CPU are really meant for rendering youtube video and performing basic browsing and day to day tasks. You are mostly getting flack for insisting that it is a gaming rig (Acer doesn't even classify it as one) and talking about unrealistic FPS in city/raid settings. I will say that at least you have something you can log on and do some things with, and that is great if you are traveling and want to do something in your downtime, but extended play on those machines will wear it down fast as well as underperform when it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by wilster View Post
    Have to agree with what other posters have commented: not a gaming laptop. Look, I will give that it is a decent to good laptop for work/school, but gaming on those laptops is not that good at all. I have owned a couple of Acers in the past, and while I was able to play on low settings, even then it got distorted and choppy when it mattered. Heck, even the video you posted the persons FPS dipped just by turning and looking at a new area, dipping in the 40's when he looked at fire, drops when he was casting smite. Now imagine that with 9-24 other people on screen and guarantee he sees 10-15 FPS. Again, i have owned a couple of these in the past and that's about what you get in raids, small groups fair better but not by much.

$600 isn't terrible for that laptop though, but that GPU and CPU are really meant for rendering youtube video and performing basic browsing and day to day tasks. You are mostly getting flack for insisting that it is a gaming rig (Acer doesn't even classify it as one) and talking about unrealistic FPS in city/raid settings. I will say that at least you have something you can log on and do some things with, and that is great if you are traveling and want to do something in your downtime, but extended play on those machines will wear it down fast as well as underperform when it matters.
    The FPS and performance is great.

Its $600. Stop expecting playing WoW on graphics setting 10 on a 4k monitor.
    I play on a 560$ custom made pc. It runs wow nicely. My only issue is living in China. I play anywhere from 2000-14000 ms *world*
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

None of that matches my experience with low end laptops. I think I'll trust my experience vs what you're saying. If your performance was that bad I have to assume you were something very very wrong. Although over the years I have a slew of tweaks to get the most performance.
    if everybody who replies are so wrong, take a picture to prove them wrong. Since i am saying same thing,. If you are happy with 20-30 fps 1080p low-med settings then fine ok, if you are happy with that thats all it matters.
    Some of us actually knows how certain hardware can run things (like me) just trust what people say.
    Last edited by JepJepa; 2019-01-03 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JepJepa View Post
    if everybody who replies are so wrong, take a picture to prove them wrong. Since i am saying same thing,. If you are happy with 20-30 fps 1080p low-med settings then fine ok, if you are happy with that thats all it matters.
    Some of us actually knows how certain hardware can run things (like me) just trust what people say.
    During raid today it was like 35-45 at 1080p and maybe once in a while it took a dip to 25 but it was perfectly playable no sluggish behavior at all. And that's without any tweaks.