Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Stood in the Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    PVE.

Disc is quite wrong. The way it heals, it simply doesn´t feel like a healer.
    First of all, there is 0 amount of skill involved. You simply need to learn and understand your spec mechanics and apply them. Simple as that.

Holy, on the other hand, has a large arsenal of spells which you are free to use whenever you want and as you wish, you do not have to follow a strict mechanic gameplay to make it work like you do with Discipline.

Now, don´t take m wrong, I love both, but it feels silly to see all the new priests going Disc and saying "oh it takes skills unlike holy"... /facepalm.

As holy you have freedom of spell you, which means that to be a GOOD healer, not just ok, you must know the fight details, know when exactly the damage is coming and get the appropriate spell ready. Sure, the same can go for Discipline, but the difference is that you can not freely make a difference, you simply follow a "rotation", or call it as you wish.. you trigger mechanics. Holy strictly relies on YOUR time/action decisions, which come at a cost if you use the wrong spells as they might be on a CD when you really need them.

Being in a raid a few hours ago, we were struggling for raid healing, we literally had no raid healer able players. The one priest we had was a discipline and of course he could never get us to even 70%... Holy, meanwhile, not only would take care of the tanks but it would also top up the raid in no time with the proper set of skills in play.

What´s you view?
    Do you like a traditional, strong, capable of any healing style (BUT the one you nee to actually think) or a modern DPS support/passive healer where you just need to make sure you keep up the mechanics to heal?

To be honest, I would expect new priests to embrace both specs and KNOW when each is best to use... not just stick to one.
    When was the last time you ran a high M+ as Disc? Every spec in this game, regardless how 'simple' to learn, has enough intricacies to make the good players shine. Pick the right tools for the right job. That's how things roll in life, and in game. That said, your understanding of Disc seems off - this is not a reactive spec; the skill is knowing the encounter well enough to setup appropriately prior to large damage phases then unloading the dps/healing when it matters the most. They are not meant to run around topping Joe that keeps on getting clipped by avoidable damage and keeping him above 70% hp - they are way better off contributing to the damage done pool while keeping an eye on tanks for defensive cd. Fights like the council, where the majority of the raid wide damage is concentrated under the bird, 2 disc priests + monk + X make the fight practically trivial as the dps goes up substantially making it much shorter and 2 barriers give the other healers so much breathing room and mana, they can afford to dps here and there, too.

Don't forget we are playing a game. A game that is supposed to be fun. Telling people how to have fun is not the right approach Look at a player, not the spec. A flexible one, will juggle as needed should something not work in a particular group setup but saying something is bad because it's easy, or rather perceived as such by you, is not going to get you any friends.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post
    Because it's hard to play and thus challenging and feels rewarding. I play plenty of healers, and I am still not comfortable with PvE Disc healing.

Just check warcraftlogs and set healer percentile from 75 to 95, and you will see how big a jump Disc makes. If you're good, Disc can be insane.
    I really don´t think so, but maybe it is because I played a healer priest for 8 years.. you get so used to it and so familiar that it becomes second nature and you get tired/bored of it, discipline is very closed down to doing 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 or 6, 7 - 8 etc, where holy you can literally do it as you wish, and it is totally down to player skill to use the right spells at the right time.

I play both holy and disc
    I prefer disc, i think it is a little less versatile than holy in terms of pure healing, but the gameplay is more fun for me personally

Holy, I like the spells it has a lot, but the gameplay is a bit easy, and I need something a bit more challenging

I'd more question why you would go holy? :-/

there are a few fights where I would argue that holy's lack of mobility isn't an issue and that salvation is really good for.

its like all the answers are coming from Disc priest here.... holy is easier??? well BM hunters are easier... both Holy and Disc are great healers, Disc is fun? Maybe for you, for me Holy is amazing and I do enjoy healing as holy way more than Disc apart from M+ that is the only reason why i play disc, Some of you are saying that you need to see millions of videos and studying fights in order for you to plan you cool-downs as Disc? hahaha that's BS. Anyway play whatever you like, both classes are just amazing but i do still think that Holy is superior in term of different types of heals and believe you don't need much brain to play Disc as many of 3000IQ people here say

Quote Originally Posted by cometa View Post
    its like all the answers are coming from Disc priest here.... holy is easier??? well BM hunters are easier... both Holy and Disc are great healers, Disc is fun? Maybe for you, for me Holy is amazing and I do enjoy healing as holy way more than Disc apart from M+ that is the only reason why i play disc, Some of you are saying that you need to see millions of videos and studying fights in order for you to plan you cool-downs as Disc? hahaha that's BS. Anyway play whatever you like, both classes are just amazing but i do still think that Holy is superior in term of different types of heals and believe you don't need much brain to play Disc as many of 3000IQ people here say
    Check WCL for healers and take a look at low level parses(hpriest #1, disc last) and then take a look at 90% + parses(disc > holy). This proves that disc is more difficult to play than holy - actually way more.

Horde

Last I played a few months ago was Disc. Never been a fan of healing and was always shadow until Cata when I went disc for H DS 25.
    I have to admit BFA disc feels weird compared to the other expansions healing wise to me.
    When I was subbed I was sticking with it for mog and questing.
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

Both are great, both offer their own take on healing, disc is harder in the sense that you need to preemptively plan your button presses, holy is just reactionary and hard in the sense that you can't waste your mana on frivolous healing.

At lower ilvls though, from a pure hps standpoint, disc is pretty bad, it needs decent int to get strong shields going. I'm pretty sure at the end of the expansion, disc will be the top dog healer spec if it isn't already in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Both are great, both offer their own take on healing, disc is harder in the sense that you need to preemptively plan your button presses, holy is just reactionary and hard in the sense that you can't waste your mana on frivolous healing.

At lower ilvls though, from a pure hps standpoint, disc is pretty bad, it needs decent int to get strong shields going. I'm pretty sure at the end of the expansion, disc will be the top dog healer spec if it isn't already in raids.
    In raids, disci surpassed holy already, hps wise. The only reason (performance wise) to play holy was its magnificient hps (and its relative easiness to play it). Now Disci heals more, on top of its enormous utility (atleast it looks enormous compared to holy's one, which is next to 0).

Holy brings big heals and, uhm, Symbol of Hope I guess?
    Disci brings bigger heals (which will keep getting bigger and bigger due to its scaling) and a) gamechanging, damage reduction effects (PS, PW:B), b) high damage (obvious enough), c) better survivability (shields and dmg reductions), d) better healing while moving (almost full ramp up while moving).

If you are equally skilled at playing both and want to play the best spec, you should play disci and this is true in every context (raids, m+, pvp, etc).

If you don't want to minmax or are not confident enough to play disci at high levels, holy is a very decent alternative.

Even excluding the disci vs holy debate, though, holy is getting outshined by basically every other healer.

Hpaladins (and dpriests) do more hps with their new default (glimmer) build, which is absurd considering what they bring to the table.
    Mwmonks are the best tank healers in the game, so having atleast one is never a bad thing.
    Rshamans utility is over the top. Spirit Link Totem for example helps to bypass so many mechanics. It was not rare at all to bring 2 rshamans in bod.
    Rdruids are very similar to hpriests. Big hps and that's it, but to be honest rdruids have a few more tricks.

If we wanted to do a tier list, I would rank the healers in the following order:
    God tier: Dpriest (excellent everywhere)
    Tier 1: Paladin (very good everywhere with Glimmer build) > Shaman (excellent on stacked fights) > Monk (excellent on high tank damage taken)
    Tier 2: Druid (excellent on constant aoe damage taken) > Hpriest (good everywhere)

I would like to stress that hpriests can be played at very high levels, they are not useless at all, but let's say that it would be extremely unlikely to see many of them played in the first kills of the top 100 guilds, for example.
    Last edited by Seneca; 2019-05-30 at 10:17 AM.

Disc has a more active approach as a hybrid healer, healing and dps'ing. It's more fun, plus the added bonus of clearing a dungeon or raid faster.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    What´s you view?
    Do you like a traditional, strong, capable of any healing style (BUT the one you nee to actually think) or a modern DPS support/passive healer where you just need to make sure you keep up the mechanics to heal?

To be honest, I would expect new priests to embrace both specs and KNOW when each is best to use... not just stick to one.
    I'm a "new" healer of sorts. I've dabbled before, never really at max level.

I went Disc because it's fun. I also enjoy how different it is than Holy. I have 2 really fun healing specs that play completely different from one another.

I'm not a good measure of skill cap. I'm probably terrible at both, relative to others. I found it initially hard to adjust to Disc until I realized it was more about proactive, but overall I am finding it really fun now.

bait post but oh well, it sounds like OP doesn't know how disc works.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

Holy has way more active buttons/spells then Discipline but Discipline still feels more complicated in my hands. So, a spec can be more challenging even with less buttons.

well that's kind of the issue with disc in general
    it doesnt really have answers for some situations, it's specific target healing is very weak too, it's a spec that excels at healing a great many targets at an even amount each
    but the big thing is in mythic raiding, you can let someone else handle those issues, while you set up and dps cycle
    do try and make sure though that your atonements include anyone with a debuff.