Quote Originally Posted by Tyranastus View Post
    I'd like to see people's opinions on two different songs with covers:

Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson/Alien Ant Farm
    MJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8w1d01Y2vY
    AAF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDl9ZMfj6aE

Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel/Disturbed
    S&G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4
    D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
    The MJ AAF is a toss up for me. Depends on the mood I'm in. Disturbed version of SoS is far more emotional for me. I get goosebumps every time I hear it. The S&G version isn't bad, but it doesn't hit me nearly as hard emotionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Got to earn his turnips.

OK here is one:
    Original

or cover?

While I agree with one of the first comments that I hate the modern diva shit that everyone and their grandma copies these days, I can't help but prefer the Houston version. The one linked here from Parton was essepcially bad since it seemed to even have the slow up/downs of vinyl records in it. But even without that the Houston version is more likeable to me, because I just can't stand country guitars either. Heck, reducing it purely to the vocals, Houston is just more powerfull, which is generally something I prefer in songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    No, not really. Training your voice requires a lot of hard work and careful management of your body. You have to work really hard to develop your range so you can sing well, and even if you can achieve that high skill level as a singer, there are a lot of technically skilled by soulless singers. One of the things which make's OP's matchup interesting is that Parton and Houston are both really skilled technically, but are also very emotive singers.
    *nods*
    A lot of good singers either get coached or start in choirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Babadoo View Post
    Whitney Houston started this stupid trend for female singers which consists of shouting at the top of your lungs whener you sing. I fuckin hate that. It's been like that for the past 20 years now. Every new female singer just fuckin shouts. I prefer delicate Dolly version as it's much more pleasant to the ear.
    I hate it the most when they do it for the national anthem (Star Spangeled). The song isn't like that. It's supposed to be relatively quick.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoc95cea0acfe View Post
    Heck, reducing it purely to the vocals, Houston is just more powerfull, which is generally something I prefer in songs.
    While there are definitely covers that get "ruined" imo by people wanting to showboat their power and voice control, Houston's version here is not one of them, and is easily better, imo.

I won't knock someone for trying though, I love covers, and its hard to beat a pro at their own game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    ]o sing well does not take much skill. You just have to be born with a pretty voice that people want to hear.
    You could not possibly be more wrong on this. While very, very, very few people are born with perfect pitch and able to translate that into a singing performance, to master your anatomy to be a good singer takes just as much, if not more skill than to play an external instrument.

People comparing michael Jackson a guy who could make number 1's in his sleep, to the one hit wonders like alien ant farm who had to borrow from the best to even get recognised..

And people saying whitney houston sucks.

I am OUT
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Scarab Lord
    Yeah I like Dolly's better. Just like I like David Allen Coe's Tennessee whiskey over Chris Stapleton's

Hallelujah has a billion covers, but I think I like Buckley's the best. That said, nothing beats Cohen.

As to the others, I like Dolly better, and Disturbed knocked Sound of Silence out of the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Hallelujah has a billion covers, but I think I like Buckley's the best. That said, nothing beats Cohen.
    [video=youtube;YrLk4vdY28Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q[video]

[video=youtube;y8AWFf7EAc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=y8AWFf7EAc4[video]

As to the others, I like Dolly better, and Disturbed knocked Sound of Silence out of the park.
    Cohen hands down. Hell, you linked a live version and it still sounds amazing.

Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers

Ain't No Sunshine - Michael Jackon

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    People comparing michael Jackson a guy who could make number 1's in his sleep, to the one hit wonders like alien ant farm who had to borrow from the best to even get recognised..

And people saying whitney houston sucks.

I am OUT
    I don't think people have been saying Whitney sucks. I think what's been said is that she doesn't give the raw innocent emotion that Dolly brought to the original recording of the song. The two versions are worlds apart in their approach to the song.

- - - Updated - - -

OK so what do you guys think of these songs?

VS

VS

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I actually think Buckley does beat Cohen.

original:

or remix:
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post

vs

The second, but I prefer this instead

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    original:
    I prefer the original here. I don't feel the cover added anything

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I don't think people have been saying Whitney sucks. I think what's been said is that she doesn't give the raw innocent emotion that Dolly brought to the original recording of the song. The two versions are worlds apart in their approach to the song.

- - - Updated - - -

OK so what do you guys think of these songs?
    I wish I had not heard the Adam Lambert version, that was so pretentious. The Social Distortion cover was an interesting reinterpretation in a different genre but it was boring both as an instrumentation and vocally. The Cash version is the best by a wide margin for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranastus View Post
    I'd like to see people's opinions on two different songs with covers:

Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel/Disturbed
    S&G: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4
    D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
    What Disturbed did with the song was change it into something damn near unrecognizable to an old fart like me. This wasn't as much an interpretation as a re-working. The original is, imo, better, but the cover is incredible. Great songs are flexible and can absorb a lot of tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Cohen hands down. Hell, you linked a live version and it still sounds amazing.

Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers

Ain't No Sunshine - Michael Jackon

Michael Jackson was truly the king of what he did in the 80ies...but Withers man...even with all the recogition he got he's still underestimated in my opinion. He's got that soul and that warmth in his voice. I'd take Withers over Jackson anyday.