Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

How I would fix WoW if I was a dev.

Hello everyone.

This isn't intended to be a bitch or moan just a collection of things I would change in wow if in some alternate reality I was ion.

General combat:
    This is what I would do to improve general combat in wow with the aim of making it a deeper and more compelling experience than what I currently find to be a very shallow burn down the health sponge affair for 99% of the mobs in game.

*divers and meaningful mob abilitys:
    I belive it should matter if I'm fighting a caster or a melee mob and it should matter what there casting and what ability there using. It should also be meaningful that I'm fighting an orc or a dryad or a dragon, each should feel like a unique fight. Now ofc that would mean killing might take longer and harder so we should have a toolkit to handle things and experience / reward put to a level to offset.

*char attack abilitys that matter. This is part of the above. You abilitys should never just be does some damdge they should layer in to the combat and how you're controlling the mob, abilitys should be unique and compelling and serve a direct purpose.

*resistances were a good thing handled badly, weaknesses add on to this:
    Resistances go along way to make fights unique and make players think about how they will deal with things also as I will expand on in customization when done properly where players have the flexibility in talents and gear to work around resistances they open up a deeper experience as far as gearing and planing for you char, as long as every class has the ability to spec and gear to overcome resistance and take advantage of a weakness it creates compelling gameplay like in monster hunter world.

Choices, choices, choices!
    Things like stances were great choosing between berserker stance and defensive stance, choices between elements that boost parts of the combat gameplay in exchange for a cost to others. This all helped add depth to combat in the game that seems lost.

Charicter customization:

It's more than just apperance!

*wide array of talent options. The talent tree was the best way done badly. Cookie cutter happens not because talents can never be balanced against each other, cookie cutter happens from having shallow combat experiences. If every mob is just a health bar then you can't expect a compelling experience. Adding back resistances and weaknesses and more compelling dynamic combat creates the environment where like in monster hunter world you need to tailor your charicture to the challenge your setting of to face.

*stats that matter. Not just throughput increases, workers with deeper combat to make things easier.

*enchanting should be a much bigger thing. And I should want to customizer my enchants often. Same with gems and glyphs.

Pve:

*smarter more dynamic bosses. Wows raid bosses are possibly the most boring bosses to fight in any game. Every boss in wow can be boiled down to a health number and a movement pattern because of how little wow has left to differentiate bosses and mobs and how scripted the encounters are. Making bosses more dynamic, more reactive and with varying strengths and weaknesses makes bosses fun and challenging past the first couple time you beat them. Wow raiding has so little fun replay ability that it should be obvious why raiders burn out frequently and often feel like it's a job and a chore to farm raids, doing a raid should always be fun not a chore.

Pvp:

*solo que rated.

*personal rankings

*league typed play

*customization options

*dynamic cc ways to counter more than just trinketing.

Social interaction:

We need to get people communicating, any way we can Evean if it means removing lfd, that doesn't nesseseraly mean going back to spamming trade chat, I think some effort should be done at looking at aketernstive more social ways of doing what lfd does now.

Main hubs. The problem with each expansion putting in a new hub city, trying to recapture what IF used to be is part of what made IF such a great hub was that not only max level players were there. This exposed newer players to max level people and gave them something to strive towards and for high levels gave them a feeling of prestegie in there achievements showing of on mounts and there gear and such.

Alot of work needs to be done to put the rpg back in this mmo but also to put the mmo back in the rpg, because unfortunately as the game is now far too many people just aren't finding it fun and that ultimately is what we pay monthly for.

this goes into a lot of what and RPG is and why the RPG is being expunged from AAA titles and it applys to wow. especially the bits about combat at 10:30

Last edited by mmoc56f3565a46; 2019-01-09 at 11:10 PM.

Remove achivement for flying.
    Remove sharding.
    Remove azerite power.
    Purchaseable gear with tokens.
    Remove titanforged procs.

Remove the "collect gear"- mindset and add "earn gear"-mindset instead.
    Nowadays you dont earn gear, you simply collect gear by just logging in.

Wow feels lika a mobile game today. Instant gratifications and daily boosts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of Bruce Almighty, "if I would be a God I'd fix everything in 5 minutes".

People never learn.

Yeah, No. Stick to your day job I'm glad you are not a dev on any game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dess View Post
    At least is more imaginative than what Blizzard is doing.

I would give anything to be able to play a RPG. A fuking RPG.

Im not playing a RPG atm...and i am subscribed to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    Bunch of air words and some BS sprinkled on top.
    Dude, all the things you suggested are in the form of 'This is bad, I'd 'enhance' it, but there is a catch! I have no clue how! I will just make it BETTER'. Well dude, it's a good thing that you aren't a dev, because you can't just use the force, and create a better game simply by willing it. You need a creative mind, and the appropriate vision/programming skills to flesh it out.

So yeah, another shitpost I see. But you get a 'C' for mediocre effort I guess.

Deleted
    I think there are plenty of Devs with great ideas to change the game like yours.
    The problem is that, i think, Blizzard refuses to apply any BIG change to the game...because is risky or for other reasons.

For example, on customization.
    I bet Blizzard removed customization from the game to save money on game balancing.

If you played WoW along the years this is pretty obvious.

I wish Blizzard had more balls to change the entire game...but they dont.

Lets all just play CLassic WoW.

Deleted
    At least I'm making suggestions *shrug* I just want the core combat in the game to actually be fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    At least is more imaginative than what Blizzard is doing.

I would give anything to be able to play a RPG. A fuking RPG.

Im not playing a RPG atm...and i am subscribed to WoW.
    Happy to help -- hell if it'll get you to stop using this forum like a diary, I'll even buy one for you.

ot; this is a fairly clear example of 'i've never developed anything but I have an opinion about developing things.

If I were a dev, I'd delete the current player base, then try and find a new one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkt View Post
    Happy to help -- hell if it'll get you to stop using this forum like a diary, I'll even buy one for you.

ot; this is a fairly clear example of 'i've never developed anything but I have an opinion about developing things.

If I were a dev, I'd delete the current player base, then try and find a new one.
    The fact that you didnt even try to say "WoW is a RPG" and pointed me to the direction of a different game...says a lot

So basically, you have very general ideas of what you would change, but have no understanding how to implement them? I don't mean that as you don't know how to program, I mean it as "bring resistance back" is a LOT different than "bring resistance back, and here's what I would do", etc.

While I agree "dynamic" mobs would break monotony and lead to somewhat more compelling gameplay, the thing you have to realize is that there's no real way to handle that as there still has to be *some* sort of static aspect to it. You can't have a mob randomly do thing and it decided to just hug a wall for the fight moving inches. So it would be just like the "dynamic" stuff we have now, nothing more than a rotation that it can pick from.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Checkt View Post

You might want to remove that LMGTFY link, I got an infraction for that once, smfh.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    The fact that you didnt even try to say "WoW is a RPG" and pointed me to the direction of a different game...says a lot
    probably because you had already said wow isn't to you.

Don't argue with walls, just knock them down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    You might want to remove that LMGTFY link, I got an infraction for that once, smfh.
    Not shocking, but I don't really care tbh. Mods being bad and infracting for no reason other than infracting is part of the MMO-C experience.

I doubt anything has changed, but since the curse merger it seems like the mods have been a bit...better? we'll see. /roll

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The content of OP's post isn't breaking any new ground. I'm sure OP put some time into it, but ultimately it's just the same thing we see over and over here.
    I'm a crazy taco.

Deleted
    oh man what i would do...

I'm curious what you would do when it actually comes down to the specifics on how to implement it. It's easy to have a general idea like most of your suggestions are, everyone can have them. Problem is how to achieve those goals.

Mainly curious with the resistances and how you would tackle the problems that arise by introducing it. One of which is that you definitely will have people getting kicked and denied certain contents due to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    I'm curious what you would do when it actually comes down to the specifics on how to implement it. It's easy to have a general idea like most of your suggestions are, everyone can have them. Problem is how to achieve those goals.
    Its impossible to believe Blizzard doesnt have brilliant Devs working there with greater ideas than what we have today. Its impossible.
    They do have brilliant Devs.

But they refuse to implement those brilliant ideas they have...because they are "risky" or because they cost a little more.

IMO

The problem is that most people on this site seem to think that things like removing RNG, azerite powers, etc. will fix the game but they won't. The problem is the content, and these are not content. It's window dressing. The game is still very much raid or die, as it has always been. Blizz at least took a stab at addressing this in the form of islands / warfronts / mythic+, but it's not enough.

We need new systems that actually involve gameplay, and this has to happen in conjunction with the paring back of bad decisions like excessive RNG, shoddy class-design, etc. Those are the bare minimum, but they don't fix the core issue, which many on this site misdiagnose - they'd be happy with the game if class design in BFA was MoP, RNG was removed, etc. but that is the wrong approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Reminds me of Bruce Almighty, "if I would be a God I'd fix everything in 5 minutes".

People never learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by dess View Post

Cut him some slack.

OP is just suggesting some stuff he would do and enticing discussions, no need for this people never learn bullshit.

This forum is so unnecessarily and ridiculously unwelcoming sometimes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The problem is that most people on this site seem to think that things like removing RNG, azerite powers, etc. will fix the game but they won't. The problem is the content, and these are not content. It's window dressing. The game is still very much raid or die, as it has always been. Blizz at least took a stab at addressing this in the form of islands / warfronts / mythic+, but it's not enough.

We need new systems that actually involve gameplay, and this has to happen in conjunction with the paring back of bad decisions like excessive RNG, shoddy class-design, etc. Those are the bare minimum, but they don't fix the core issue, which many on this site misdiagnose - they'd be happy with the game if class design in BFA was MoP, RNG was removed, etc. but that is the wrong approach.
    Spoken like a true wannabe game developer...like me and the OP
    I agree with everything you said Sir.
    Very good post.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd pull the plug and save it from the nightmare it's become -Evanescence plays softly in the background-