View Poll Results: As of 8.1.5, how likely is a huge factional paradigm shift?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still not happening, ever.

    78 49.37%
  • Actually possible, but unlikely

    37 23.42%
  • As likely as not

    12 7.59%
  • More likely than not

    19 12.03%
  • Almost certainly happening!

    12 7.59%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Hezar View Post
    this kumbaya bullshit
    The real question to look at in this whole issue is this: How in-character is your 1000th dungeon run? It's not. So if, after say your first run of a dungeon, you happen to be in a group that meshes alliance and horde... is anything healthy truly stepped on? WE, reading this message on MMO champion, are not alliance or horde. We're not. To claim otherwise is unhealthy (and I'm a roleplay type!). We're WoW players. Most of us, I'd wager, have characters on both sides. WoW hasn't encouraged the "one character" game since legion. We're "supposed to" have alts now, and for BFA we're "supposed to" have alts on both factions.

    If we reach a moment in time where the people of Azeroth are canonically working together, after what's happened recently that will be extremely significant. The lore can acknowledge that some people hold grudges, and war mode is for them, the lore can also acknowledge that individuals aren't their factions.

    I asked an opinion question and all opinions are valid, so I'm not telling you that yours is wrong, I'm just presenting a point of view from the perspective that half of the respondents to my poll as of this post think there's at least a glimmer of a possibility that something factional is going to happen... and it doesn't need to be a blanket, hand holdy kumbayah story, all it needs to do is present a plausible deniability of a generalist blanket of hate for just a moment, a moment that justifies a permanent feature that, to the players with their heads screwed on straight, would be a positive change.

    There are, after all, no nightelves or forsaken playing WoW.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2019-01-11 at 05:33 PM.

  2. #42
    missing the "endless cycle" option. The paradigm shift will last an expansion or two and then switch back to the old one and then switch back again to the new one and so on ad nauseum

  3. #43
    Without opposing factions for players to choose this game is just players vs npc:s even more so that its now. At the very least there should be pure evil faction against goody two shoes. Its even more bland and boring if none of that is present.

    The fact that many people play both factions doesnt mean that factions should cease to exist. That doesnt have anything to do with players "heads being screwed on properly" Its a matter of preference which side you want to play. Picking a faction is players only decision that has any impact on gameplay in a mmo.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    ... And Blizz doesn't care anymore about the lore anyway.
    ... And this is the point at which your argument becomes irrelevant.

    If your argument revolves around "Well they don't care anyways" when they put this much work into the story, then you're blatantly wrong. You may not like the story, you may consider it poorly written (and this is probably true ), but Blizzard definitely cares about the lore. It may be nonsensical, but it's what pieces the game together.

  5. #45
    Herald of the Titans Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    ... And this is the point at which your argument becomes irrelevant.

    If your argument revolves around "Well they don't care anyways" when they put this much work into the story, then you're blatantly wrong. You may not like the story, you may consider it poorly written (and this is probably true ), but Blizzard definitely cares about the lore. It may be nonsensical, but it's what pieces the game together.
    Dude, I don't care if they spent 1 hour or half a year crafting this turd of a story. If it had been suggested by a random user here, it would have been called out as awful fanfiction - and rightfully so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger-Z View Post
    Class design [in BfA] is the rickety bridge upon which it all lays, but the rest of it are the arthritic elephants with irritable bowel syndrome trying to cross it.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Dude, I don't care if they spent 1 hour or half a year crafting this turd of a story. If it had been suggested by a random user here, it would have been called out as awful fanfiction - and rightfully so.
    Doesn't change the facts. "I dislike the story of this expansion" =/= "Blizzard doesn't care about the lore"

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    For all my wishes and hype, I've been holding at a 5/10, as likely as not, but some of the 8.1.5 stuff has finally clicked me over to a 6! I think teasing it like this and not going all the way would be a dick move that might actually be beyond Blizzard. If the recent datamining makes it live anything like it's looking now, I'm calling it more likely than not: My paladin will, more likely than not, be a bloodelf while still tanking for void elf friends by or within the next expansion.
    Maybe I'm uninformed, but what has tipped you all the way to a 6/10? I'm still at 0/10 and I don't see anything to change that.

  8. #48
    Herald of the Titans Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Doesn't change the facts. "I dislike the story of this expansion" =/= "Blizzard doesn't care about the lore"
    It is not that I "dislike" the story, it's that half of the time it doesn't make effing sense. Terrible strawman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger-Z View Post
    Class design [in BfA] is the rickety bridge upon which it all lays, but the rest of it are the arthritic elephants with irritable bowel syndrome trying to cross it.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It is not that I "dislike" the story, it's that half of the time it doesn't make effing sense. Terrible strawman.
    It's not a strawman argument. I actually agree with you in that the story is bad, but you can't apply it to an argument as "Blizzard doesn't care about the lore anyways lol", because that's simply not true. They just need to stop jerking around with the boring Alliance vs Horde stories. They are always bad. They need to learn this.

    Every time someone wants to have a dramatic change applied to the game that completely and utterly breaks lore, they argue "Well Blizzard doesn't care about lore anyways lol" as if it's a point to support it. Just stop doing that. We can safely agree that the story is bad (though I suspect you probably hate it a bit more than I do. ), but that doesn't justify changes like the one suggested in this thread.

    Ironically, I'd love to see Alliance and Horde team up, but I don't see how it's possible after this bad expansion's over-the-top story, lol.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2019-01-11 at 09:21 PM.

  10. #50
    Immortal Jeezo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Somewhere fun.
    Posts
    7,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    People keep talking about factions disappearing...yet no one gives an argument as of why.
    I recommend reading Before the Storm.

    Even an online update would be enough, really.

  11. #51
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ashenvale.
    Posts
    471
    Well as a NE player. I can say I don't ever want to see the horde in my story after this, unless it is killing them. If we are forced to go back to the team up styling then I need the horde to actually this war win via genocide to a point where Blizz actively deletes the NE player character (free race change etc.) Like full on scorched earth style. Otherwise its just an instant unsub the moment we get that nonsensical "Somethingorother is so powerful we need to join forces!" just nope nope let it end

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    Maybe I'm uninformed, but what has tipped you all the way to a 6/10? I'm still at 0/10 and I don't see anything to change that.
    It was totally off my radar too until they said that the faction war element of BFA was intended as a “resolution” to the faction conflict, and my head just kept slowly turning as they dialed up the conflict, culminating with the burning of Teldrassil and the idea that, yes, we will have to team up again someday, after *this.* With the backdrop of the planet dying it just felt like anything that’s going to bring us together now will have to be phenomenally significant, perhaps enough to be permanent... as must eventually happen as the game and genre age.

    That and a bunch of other subtext is what got me to 5/10.

    What got me to 6 was what’s happening with Baine in 8.1.5. The idea of “point of no return” comes to mind.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2019-01-12 at 04:01 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •