Horde.
    Zekhan.
    Saurfang?
    Horde…
    Saurfang!
    Horde?!
    Mekkatorque T-shirt.

Bonus points:
    We're excited to show you the consequence of player choice in quests!

Er. Unless you only play Alliance. In which case the only player choice relevant here is you didn't roll Horde.

5+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to wow lore, where the Horde story is rehashed BS and the Alliance story is just Jaina's autobiography.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Just like Alleria and Turalyon changed the world of Azeroth—Wait when did that happen?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The news article thread is the place to go if you want to talk about the Livestream as a stream - this really isn't the place to complain about the quality of the stream or the presenters in it.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

What annoys me is that the story itself just doesn't follow any logic.

In the next patch, when Anduin finds out that N'zoth is awakening he says that the Horde and the Alliance were "so close to peace" and that Sylvanas will ruin all of that if she manages to get her hands on Xal'atath. Like... seriously? Close to peace, after the Horde burnt down Teldrassil and the Alliance killed Rastakhan? Tyrande became an avatar of vengeance purely to kill the Horde. She does not want peace and neither does Talanji.

That's not just Anduin being naive, that's actual bad writing.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least they confirmed that the expansion was designed to develop the Horde story fairly exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    At least they confirmed that the expansion was designed to develop the Horde story fairly exclusively.
    You say develop, but they have done nothing but ruin it so far. The Alliance gets all the victories, the Horde gets splintered more and more. They keep telling us to hang on and "wait for the big reveal", while they keep making things worse. It's honestly not fun to play at all. What's the point of doing the war campaign when we already know we're going to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Alleria Windrunner View Post
    This story will either be Garrosh 2.0 or Kerrigan 2.0, i.e. Don't expect any creativity whatsoever. At this point, N'zoth is the only one who can save this mess of an expansion. Blizzard needs to understand that 90% of the players want to learn more about the elusive Old God and don't care about yet another faction war.
    This. The players are smart enough to see that no one can win this war, so in the end it's pretty much pointless. They've also straight up said that we're not killing Sylvanas this expansion which means another Garrosh "Don't you misbehave now or else!" resolution or a Grommash, "But I didn't know, so you can't hold me responsible!" like in WoD ending, both of which are pathetic writing. If the war ends and the biggest war monger (both in the opinion of the Alliance and many leaders of her own faction) isn't held responsible, you can pretty much kiss any hope for quality writing goodbye.

Alliance are getting a hollow victory in killing off a King that's only purpose in existing was as a story telling method for his daughter and the Horde are killing off an Alliance leader that has done next to nothing in the entirety of WoW.

Going forward, we see absolutely nothing on the horizon and we know the next patch isn't even going to be about the faction war, but about Azshara and Mecha Gnomes, again by Blizzard's own words, "Goblins and Gnomes venture together to explore this zone full of machinery.", the key word there being together.

After that, we know the stories will continue, but as of now, only if you're Horde.
    - There will be a lot more interaction between Talanji and Bwonsamdi going forward.
    - The team wanted to let the player have some agency in the direction of the Horde and not just watching it develop.
    - The Saurfang quest is not necessarily fundamentally changing the questing system of the game, but it was a moment to add meaningful choices to the story.

In other words, "Alliance sit there and enjoy the story we write you, we've got interesting story with choices, character development and progression for the Horde we need to focus on."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archibalde View Post
    You say develop, but they have done nothing but ruin it so far. The Alliance gets all the victories, the Horde gets splintered more and more. They keep telling us to hang on and "wait for the big reveal", while they keep making things worse. It's honestly not fun to play at all. What's the point of doing the war campaign when we already know we're going to lose?
    What they perceive as developing anyway.

I do wonder just what they think a “deep and meaningful” ending to the faction war is.
    I mean, they cannot be stupid enough to expect players to be ok with a rehashed story. Nor can they truly allow one side to win. So... What are we left with?
    I like to pretend that there is a chance where both factions use up so much people in this war, that when the Old God emerges they won’t have anyone to actually send to deal with it, resulting in both sides loosing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The news article thread is the place to go if you want to talk about the Livestream as a stream - this really isn't the place to complain about the quality of the stream or the presenters in it.
    I think the issue is that there wasn't anything in this stream that you could complain in lore section.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I think the issue is that there wasn't anything in this stream that you could complain in lore section.
    Anything from the state of the lore in BfA, Steve Danuser's role in it, or Terran Gregory's role in it. Just complaining about the quality of the stream, however, isn't at all relevant to this subforum.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Anything from the state of the lore in BfA, Steve Danuser's role in it, or Terran Gregory's role in it. Just complaining about the quality of the stream, however, isn't at all relevant to this subforum.
    Then please merge the threads, because honestly there wasn't enough stuff said in the stream, that would warrant one here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally thought it was pretty good, they sounded passionate about what they love doing so you can tell they are into it. Nothing new was really told but you got a sense of what the process is like and I dig that stuff. Suppose if you were going in there expecting story leaks then I guess you would be disappointed.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

- The team wanted to let the player have some agency in the direction of the Horde and not just watching it develop.

- Choices will be used when it makes sense to create a more invested story.

- The payoff for your choices will be meaningful.

Really now

OOhhh, "the payoff for your choices will be meaningful", that's a good one.

Apologies Blizzard, and it may be because I've played too many single-player RPGs, but to me a meaningful choice in a kingmaker scenario is one where the person I choose rules and the one I don't is killed, exiled, or otherwise suffers some horrible fate because vae victis motherfuckers. And I dunno why, but something tells me that this is a level of meaningfulness you can't provide even if you wanted/had the skill to provide, and that stream did not reinforce my faith in either to say the least.

Otherwise, a choice without such a payoff is just as "meaningful" as a vote in a Facebook poll as to which character the player likes more.

To say nothing of the fact that even as a Horde player, the near-total absence of the Alliance from the stream was not encouraging. Player choice, but only for the right faction it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    OOhhh, "the payoff for your choices will be meaningful", that's a good one.

Apologies Blizzard, and it may be because I've played too many single-player RPGs, but to me a meaningful choice in a kingmaker scenario is one where the person I choose rules and the one I don't is killed, exiled, or otherwise suffers some horrible fate because vae victis motherfuckers. And I dunno why, but something tells me that this is a level of meaningfulness you can't provide even if you wanted/had the skill to provide, and that stream did not reinforce my faith in either to say the least.

Otherwise, a choice without such a payoff is just as "meaningful" as a vote in a Facebook poll as to which character the player likes more.

To say nothing of the fact that even as a Horde player, the near-total absence of the Alliance from the stream was not encouraging. Player choice, but only for the right faction it seems.
    It's not like the Alliance is in any kind of turmoil justifying a "player choice". The current player agency in BfA as a Horde player is to either betray our warchief and side with a traitor (with a toy as a reward) or tell Zekkhan to take a hike and get azerite instead.

In 8.1.5 it will be to snitch on BetaBaine or to (once again) side with a traitor. Do Alliance players want that kind of agency? When so far in this expansion everything is a victory for the aliance short of Teldrassil?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosbill View Post
    In 8.1.5 it will be to snitch on BetaBaine or to (once again) side with a traitor. Do Alliance players want that kind of agency? When so far in this expansion everything is a victory for the aliance short of Teldrassil?
    what we want is that they let us join tyrande, in unmerciful vengeance over anduin who is trying to forgive and heal the horde.

you know, this xpac could have been great if it was a morally gray conflict and minus a damn unprovoked genocide.
    now is too late, it all went downhill since warbringuers sylvanas, i have no idea what the hell was blizzard thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by etheldald View Post
    what we want is that they let us join tyrande, in unmerciful vengeance over anduin who is trying to forgive and heal the horde.
    Joining Tyrande, the Hearthstone priestess of emo eye-inking that requires the Alliance hero's help to get anywhere in a completely meaningless shore that oversees a charcoal tree, would be a lot worse in my opinion.

Anduin got into war at Lordaeron, Stromgarde and Dazar'alor to stop the enemy. If you leave aside the stereotype that he's a Golden-haired (intentionally capitalized btw) prince that is the perfect male for his writer, the Alliance has shown more in these two patches under his command than the night elves have under Tyrande for the past 14 years. I mean, sure, all of what he attempted at the aforementioned places didn't pan out as he planned, but at least he can pick a location to fight over.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2019-01-11 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    Joining Tyrande the Hearthstone priestes of eye-inking that requires the Alliance hero's help to get anywhere.

Meanwhile Anduin got into war at Lordaeron, Stromgarde and Dazar'alor to stop the enemy. If you leave aside the stereotype that he's a Golden-haired (intentionally capitalized btw) prince that is the perfect male for his writer, the Alliance has shown more in these two patches under his command than the night elves have under Tyrande for the past 14 years.
    Yeah he went there so well prepared his entire army would have been utterly vaporized, if Jaina hadn't come by, I mean come on lets attack the forsaken capital, oh my Sylvanas uses the blight who could have thought this might happen.... oh well. She would sacrifice her own troops, utterly unthinkable, it is not like I have seen her literally seen her killing some of her own subjects just a weeks prior.

This whole narrative is a joke and so far every major character gets displayed as incredibly stupid.