Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Looks like Activision is at it again with dat cost cutting lol. Maybe Destiny 3 wont be hot garbage.

as long as they let me buy activision games via battle.net balance i'm fine with it. but if they dont, it'll be a huge disappointment

ATVI at this point seems to be a listing ship in a storm. Employees are bailing out, Bungie leaves. Soon a tidal wave of Devs will follow

Quote Originally Posted by sopeonaroap View Post
    you're 100% wrong and lazy, this is all VERY public information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

Activision merged with Vivendi to create Activision Blizzard, and vivendi remained majority shareholder even though Activision's people were calling the shots and running the new company. later, vivendi was mostly bought out
    Eh, I read the wrong article from prior, apparently at first it was supposed to be a buyout. Still doesn't change the fact that Blizzard can't just "leave"

Quote Originally Posted by SimmerRift View Post
    Please let this be a fucking sign. I know the odds are so so incredibly negligable, but if this proves companies can split away from activision, then maybe, just maybe there's a CHANCE of getting the real blizzard back.

Good on Bungie. If they don't pull the greedy bullshit once they're seperated with their next installment or game, then I have high hopes for them.
    Bungie hasn't split away from ATVI. They simply ended a publishing deal over one title - they have a 10 year publishing deal overall that ends in 2020.

Bungie is an independent company that bought itself from Microsoft, it's previous owner.

Blizzard is owned 100% ATVI. They can't "split away" from ATVI, unless they buy themselves out, or someone else buys them. And, Blizzard publishes it's own titles, always has, so to "split away" from ATVI, they'd publish games with another company...why? It simply isn't going to happen. There's no reason for it, even if they could legally do that, why would they send a percentage of the profits to someone else, when they get all if it, now?

Bungie's deal with Activision has NOTHING to do with Blizzard, and they're doing something Blizzard literally in ever sense cannot do.

sinking ship!!! wait.. what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    ATVI at this point seems to be a listing ship in a storm. Employees are bailing out, Bungie leaves. Soon a tidal wave of Devs will follow
    Except there's strong news for them today, they finally replaced the CEO at Activision, and King got a new CFO. Investors love hearing that kind of thing.

There's definitely some things going down, but Bungie isn't "leaving", they were never "there", they've been privately owned NOT by ATVI since they bought themselves from Microsoft. They have a publishing deal. That's it.

And, they're still hiring a LOT of dev positions at Blizzard. Do a little fact checking sometimes.

What a load of horse shit. Destiny had such great promise. Beautiful worlds and artwork. Cool unique weapons and a niche gameplay mode. The developers and everyone in charge, do not listen. Case and point, changes made to D1 didn't end up in D2. They've already tanked the brand into the ground and I've little doubt they will continue to tank it straight into the seven hells.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Except there's strong news for them today, they finally replaced the CEO at Activision, and King got a new CFO. Investors love hearing that kind of thing.

There's definitely some things going down, but Bungie isn't "leaving", they were never "there", they've been privately owned NOT by ATVI since they bought themselves from Microsoft. They have a publishing deal. That's it.

And, they're still hiring a LOT of dev positions at Blizzard. Do a little fact checking sometimes.
    Mike Morhaime severing all ties with Blizzard is a shocker. After hours trading is looking bad. Down to 47 after ending at 51
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaL GuArD View Post
    I heard that Bungie was the one to come up with some of the monetization. I also heard that Activision initially wasn't interfering with how they ran the game at all, so it's all on Bungie how the game turned out in the first place.

What I'm saying is, I'd be cautious about anything new Bungie makes until we can absolutely confirm that things have changed. Time will tell how much of Destiny 2's mediocrity was Actiblizz, and how much the devs being incompetent.

The "real Blizzard" has been gone for a while now. It's not in the company name, which hasn't been an independent entity since 2008 when Activision pretty much acquired Blizzard from Vivendi in the merger. It's in all the old guard who had been steadily leaving the studio over the last few years. There's hardly anybody left of the crew that made those first expansions to WoW. As if to demonstrate just how deep the merger runs, Activision had a CEO of their choosing take over operations on the Blizzard side of things(with the immediate first few words out of his mouth being "We're cutting costs").
    Nonsense.

Blizzard hasn't been independent for almost it's entire history. They changed the name of the company to Blizzard when Davidson and Associates bought them. They have been owned the entire time they've been making their iconic games. The only games Blizzard released as an independent company were Lost Vikings and Rock N Roll Racing, as Chaos.

There were 3 founders of Blizzard. 2 of them are still at Blizzard. The original crew of Wow have moved on, but that happens to most games - and a large number of them are still working on the game, they're just not names you know. Chilton, Afrasiabi, many of the old school guys are still around. People move on. Blizzard, until this last year, were known for hanging onto people way longer than is typical in the game industry, where people job hop a lot. And, one of the founders, Allen Adham, came back.

And yes, ATVI hired Brack. That's one of the perks you get when you own a company.

The fairy tales that get posted in threads like this are hilarious - and kind of sad and pathetic at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Gen Z'ers they overreact to everything.
    im way older than that... but i guess ur an gen rtard

Quote Originally Posted by SimmerRift View Post
    Please let this be a fucking sign. I know the odds are so so incredibly negligable, but if this proves companies can split away from activision, then maybe, just maybe there's a CHANCE of getting the real blizzard back.

Good on Bungie. If they don't pull the greedy bullshit once they're seperated with their next installment or game, then I have high hopes for them.
    You have really no idea whats the relationship between Activision and Blizzard, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by ojblade View Post
    as long as they let me buy activision games via battle.net balance i'm fine with it. but if they dont, it'll be a huge disappointment
    Why do you want to buy Activision games anyway? Everything they produce is fucking hot microtransaction filled garbage these days.
    Wish people would just boycott these publishers that are poisoning the industry so they can fucking die out already.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I mean I highly doubt Activision were the reason Destiny 2 ended up being so bad.
    they were tbh,just like how they cut 80% of D1's story a month before launch to sell as DLC,they cut 66% of D2's story to sell as DLC

They also forced microtransactions and the season pass format into the game

And when they loosened a bit their grip on Bungie,we got Forsaken,which is a genuinely great expansion and adds a lot to the game

All in all,Bungie being able to handle their own stuff is going to help Destiny a lot,though a lot of harm has been done since a lot of the big names from Bungie either left or got fired

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Blizzard should do the same.
    Depends how deep those Acti-claws are dug in. I hope so too though.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by jasdasm View Post
    im way older than that... but i guess ur an gen rtard
    Then act your age using "cancer" to describe anything that's not medical, and using text speech... at all, not really wins for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Depends how deep those Acti-claws are dug in. I hope so too though.
    it's not really the same thing tbh

There's no Activision and Blizzard,there's Activision-Blizzard,they're one and the same

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post

There's no Activision and Blizzard,there's Activision-Blizzard,they're one and the same
    Well here's hoping they reverse that because it wasnt always Activision Blizzard
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

For those hoping the same thing with Blizzard, Activision never owned Bungie.

Didn't help the partnership when Activison blamed Destiny 2 Forsaken for being a big disappointment during the quarterly call.....

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post

No. This gets posted constantly, and here we go again.

There are multiple companies in the mix here.

Activision Blizzard is the parent company. I refer to them as ATVI, because that's their stock symbol. They own all of the other companies under discussion. The entire purpose of ATVI is to own other companies, which is why it's defined as a parent company, and holding company. They have their own offices, and staff.

Blizzard Inc, a game publisher and studio, is owned by ATVI. They have their own offices, and staff.

Activision Publishing, which publishes games made by studios it owns or has deals with, is owned by ATVI. They have their own offices, and staff.

King Gaming, which makes Candy Crush, is owned by ATVI. They have their own offices, and staff.

If you work for Blizzard, your paycheck says "Blizzard, Inc.", not "Activision-Blizzard".

The are distinct legal, financial, and managerial reasons for these distinctions. Blizzard Inc. exists, as does Activision Publishing. They are not one and the same with ATVI. When Activision Publishing merged with Vivendi, Bobby Kotick stepped down as CEO of Activision Publishing, and took on the new role of CEO of ATVI, which was formed to hold the companies that were joined in ownership in the merger. They could have called the parent company "Activision-Vivendi", just as easily, but the assets that mattered were the Activision and Blizzard companies - the merger also transferred ownership of Sierra Online to ATVI, and was subsequently shut down, for all intents.

This happens all of the time in other industries. Go look at who Nestle owns, for instance. Nestle owns many, many subsidiaries, some that operate just like Blizzard does, under their ownership. Blizzard Inc. is a self-contained unit, business-wise - they make and publish their own games, and it makes much more sense to keep it that way, regardless of who owns it - and up until the last couple of years, were doing a pretty good job.