Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warlock vs Mage in BoD

Any predictions who is going to do more dmg and overall would be more useful in Battle of Dazar'alor [raid only] Dont care about m+ or pvp_

Or who is going to be more useful with utility they provide - like TW, arcane intelect buff vs summoning protal, healtstones, gates.

And as a raid leader if you would need to fill a ranged slot who are equally as good, who would u choose.

Im trying to figure out what to main in 8.1

10+ Year Old Account
    This really isn't kind of a question to ask here, because for one you will get a bunch of totally subjective answers at best and get misled at worst.

Instead I'd say a safe bet would be to go for the data, which is out there. In Uldir, in my opinion, the answer is quite clear due to various reasons, but new raid - who knows, although you can always default to what you see now and project it to 2 weeks from now, because balance mostly won't change, even with Azerite improvements and utility-wise it certainly won't change.

Here's my super subjective answer - Warlocks are going strong for years now, while mages are more of a bumpy ride and that's not even taking into account multi-gateway shenanigans that keep creeping here and there - G'huun was really bonkers there, but looking forward into the future - there is more chances of encounter requiring multiple warlocks as opposed to multiple mages, who don't really have this stacking utility like gateways.

IMO, mage utility is pretty shit all around, because almost all of it can be reasonably replaced - there is a reason they were given Arcane Intellect back in BfA.

Hard to really say without the gear and such. Mobility is a part of bod which locks do not have, but on the other hand warlocks are shaping up to put out higher numbers. Something nobody wants to hear but unless you a mythic raider play what you like, if your a proficient warlock you'll probably do more dps than a mage if your a proficient mage you'll probably do more dps than a warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    IMO, mage utility is pretty shit all around, because almost all of it can be reasonably replaced - there is a reason they were given Arcane Intellect back in BfA.
    I agree that Locks will prob be the premier Caster. One thing you forgot to mention about Mage is they are the only caster w an immunity.

Whichever one is more fun / makes you want to keep playing the game. Both are always strong picks in raids.

You're in a warlock sub, so people are going to tell you warlock.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Already seeing some misleading info and only a few posted replies. So put me in the camp of "this isn't a good place to ask".

But I'll add my 2 cents since OP is still likely to read these: both are historically strong, especially locks from the last couple years. I'd give the utility edge to locks atm. But both are safe choices, so fun factor should prob be a primary concern.

As a raid leader you would be dumb to not have one of each class for the utility. Then it will depend on whether you want more gateways or another immunity.

Locks don't have mobility? I must be playing a different class though Destro is probably one of the least mobile in game.

Damage wise all 3 specs are in a good place at the moment (with Demo being OP on a lot of Uldir farm) and all have the different strengths to cover what is needed. Generally DoT specs fare much better with split cleave so in my very limited knowledge of BoD I think we will take it. Of course there is tuning to come.

Unless you're pushing world firsts it would be whoever is the better player.

Both mage and warlock are pure DPS classes, which means both will always have a competitive DPS spec for a raid. Play what you enjoy most.

Mages are more burst oriented, proc reactive gameplay with much better mobility and an immunity.

Warlocks tend to have better sustained damage and 2-3 target cleave, better sustained damage mitigation, and better utility in a raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demolocks cannot die.....

All the hardcore guilds like Method are running more locks than Mages, and the locks are usually in the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Whichever one is more fun / makes you want to keep playing the game. Both are always strong picks in raids.

You're in a warlock sub, so people are going to tell you warlock.
    This. And of course, this kind of question from OP only really matters for top end guilds that are actually going for that 100 first guilds leaderboard.
    Thanks for the heads up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravec View Post
    All the hardcore guilds like Method are running more locks than Mages, and the locks are usually in the top 5.
    Champion: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Grong: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Jadefire: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Opulence: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Conclave: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Rastakhan: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Mekkatorque: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Stormwall: 2 mages, 2 warlocks (+ 5 (!!) moonkins + 3 spriests)

Which one, in your opinion, is the bigger number: 2 or 3?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    Champion: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Grong: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Jadefire: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Opulence: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Conclave: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Rastakhan: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Mekkatorque: 3 mages, 2 warlocks
    Stormwall: 2 mages, 2 warlocks (+ 5 (!!) moonkins + 3 spriests)

Which one, in your opinion, is the bigger number: 2 or 3?
    That's why they won't have World First. luuul

That's why they won't have World First. luuul
    Except Method did get the world first :P

On topic: Looking at logs etc. Warlocks seem to be pretty damn dominant dps-wise. Mages still have Iceblock. Take your pick.

10+ Year Old Account
    In between the bullshit Moonkins, Spriests and Locks do in BoD - mage just pales in comparison.

This is pretty apparent at warcraftlogs, moreso considering later fights are not represented there and starting Mekk it’s really lock/spriest/moonkin parade there with all the cleaverino/resource cheese.

I’m almost certain that once the dust settles Blizz will do some small nerfs to locks there.

Also in this boat. Love the easy and straight forwarded gameplay of the mage. But I also love the fantasy of the Warlock. Yet the only spec I fell in love with Affliction isn't grinding my gears.

This really isn't kind of a question to ask here, because for one you will get a bunch of totally subjective answers at best and get misled at worst.
    That is riduculous... anyway, OP, I have no idea what have you asked, but warlocks are better than mages on ANYTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by njams View Post
    Also in this boat. Love the easy and straight forwarded gameplay of the mage. But I also love the fantasy of the Warlock. Yet the only spec I fell in love with Affliction isn't grinding my gears.
    Play what you love. Both are fine. I think the answer at this point is pretty clearly in favour of locks. They have 3 great specs and good utility. But if you don't enjoy any of the three lock specs, go mage. Remember it's a game. Have fun.