Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stronger and faster horses to be made through gene editing

(Source)
    Kheiron Biotech using clones thoroughbred horses and announced in 2017 that they would use CRISPR gene editing to create super horses.

They plan to perform myostatin inhibition to boost the muscles in horses.

They will develop horses with more muscle mass, which could run faster for longer distances and jump higher. At the end of 2017, Kheiron-Biotech announced that they have healthy embryos created by this type of gene editing that the horses will be born by 2019.

In 2016, six cloned polo ponies won the Argentinian Open with polo star Adolfo Cambiaso on board. The first horse was cloned in 2003, with the other main laboratory in the business of bettering breeding being Crestview Genetics, based in Texas.

When it comes to clones, the International Federation for Equestrian Sports (FEI) lifted a ban in 2013.

This result is related to a prediction that I made in 2006. I predicted that gene doping would rampant in horse and dog racing. However, I expected this back in 2008. Gene editing has been possible for quite a while. There could have been gene doping that was not detected. The Kheiron-Biotech work is a very public development of super horses.
    "Gene doping" sounds like a term straight out of a cyberpunk/biopunk story, but it's not something that's going to be fictional for long. This will probably be used in sporting events for animals first, but I also remember reading a while back that Chinese scientists were working on increasing muscularity in dogs to engineer greater guard dogs.

Assuming you can do it to non-human animals, then you could also do it to humans. Will we ever see CRISPR-engineered UFC fighters or NBA players? What do you think? Should this be legal? Will it have huge implications?
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-01-11 at 04:48 PM.

Rather have them experimenting on horses and dogs than humans.

At least until we know what we're doing.

I also wouldn't be surprised that things like speed depend on hundreds of gene combinations and not just one gene. So something like speed might be very very complicated and take years to sort out.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

First and foremost this will lead to many sick and tortured animals. Ask yourself why this tpye of "advancement" is never conducted in the first world.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    First and foremost this will lead to many sick and tortured animals. Ask yourself why this tpye of "advancement" is never conducted in the first world.
    We genetically edit species all the time. One of the most ambitious projects I've heard about are generally drives centered around eliminating certain invasive or infected populations of animals like carp in North America (Daughterless Carp Project) or the gene drives planned to fight malaria in mosquitoes in Africa.

Bring it on. I want to have genetic super soldier grandchildren.

Good, we need stronger horses to plow the fields faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Rather have them experimenting on horses and dogs than humans.
    why? why should dogs or horses suffer when theres enough human beings on the planet to test on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Great.....

mutant horses.....

There can't be anything horrible that comes from that......

That has fuck-all to do with gene editing and everything to do with people finding a horse with a harmful tendency to build muscle and overworking it on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    That has fuck-all to do with gene editing and everything to do with people finding a horse with a harmful tendency to build muscle and overworking it on purpose.
    Yeah, I don't think it'll be that extreme lol. At least not yet...

I wonder if this is the slow beginning of designer pets. First it'll be gene doping for sports performance and utilitarian purposes, but then you will have people engineering strains of domesticated animals and even patenting them. You could potentially even open the floodgates for wild species of animals like African wild dogs and black bears to be "genetically domesticated".

Pah, child's play! I have already created a mechanic beast with the power of a hundred horses!

Should see British police horses, they are already plenty big enough... Genuinely very intimidating.

This is the horse that Jack built.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

All hail our new horse master race !

myostatin inhibitors...
    For those not knowing, myostatin is a protein that inhibits muscle growth. If you're a weightlifter, this isn't necessarily a bad thing since bone strength needs to be proportionally strong. (Ever hear or see someone break bones while lifting weights? Horrifying)

Going to be a lot of dead horses...

No need, I already got myself a Silver Dapple Pinto Missouri Fox Trotter in chapter 3 (from a Bounty Hunter) so I'm good! ^__^

On a serious note, how about they focus on editing out health issues in already existing pet species...?

Quote Originally Posted by mmoc99f92469a2 View Post
    Bring it on. I want to have genetic super soldier grandchildren.
    And they'll be talking horses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Pah, child's play! I have already created a mechanic beast with the power of a hundred horses!

I would get a refund, a Jaguar with such weak horse power?! A Ford Focus has 140!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    why? why should dogs or horses suffer when theres enough human beings on the planet to test on.
    Probably because they don't want to deal with people hulking out.

Rather they test it on condemned to die criminals then animals. Or just criminals in general who comitted acts of violence im not that picky.

Same goes for all lab testing.

Quote Originally Posted by mmocdfcebdf57c View Post
    Rather they test it on condemned to die criminals then animals. Or just criminals in general who comitted acts of violence im not that picky.
    Damn those criminal embryos!

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Because of a moral code that I disagree with. That's the entire answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Humans are the ones in charge, that's why.