Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would merging with A.I. lead to a collective consciousness?

If we merge with artificial (general) intelligence, will that ultimately lead to a greater connected consciousness?

The internet set the stage for the undeniably globalized world we live in and has affected everything from pop culture to politics. People are becoming more politically literate earlier and interested in politics, whether local or global. Even the people against this globalization are themselves perpetuating it by allying and merging their ideologies with others globally.

With an even greater, interpersonal worldwide connection, I could only imagine whatever effects the internet has had only magnified.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-01-15 at 01:48 PM.

You need to drop the shrooms dude.

My theory is that consciousness is a force like gravity and our brains are antenna that pull from the that force, the more advanced a brain is the more conscious the species.

Hmmmm . . . The internet gave us a greater collective consciousness.

People who never would've talked to each other in the past are talking now, eg, people on the right and the left. I imagine there would be more of that. I think it's a good thing.

AI though, it has it's own intelligence which means it would have its own agenda.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Hmmmm . . . The internet gave us a greater collective consciousness.

People who never would've talked to each other in the past are talking now, eg, people on the right and the left. I imagine there would be more of that. I think it's a good thing.

AI though, it has it's own intelligence which means it would have its own agenda.
    Yeah, which would make any idea of merging kind of interesting. Would we effectively be bees or ants in a neural hive controlled by an A.I. queen? Would it be an independent entity inside of us? Would it lead to the formation of a new consciousness?

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Yeah, which would make any idea of merging kind of interesting. Would we effectively be bees or ants in a neural hive controlled by an A.I. queen? Would it be an independent entity inside of us? Would it lead to the formation of a new consciousness?
    Think of bees and ants as one large organism where the workers are just cells of the body used to do certain functions. Not a collection of individuals.

If we merge with artificial (general) intelligence, will that ultimately lead to a greater connected consciousness?

The internet set the stage for the undeniably globalized world we live in and has affected everything from pop culture to politics. People are becoming more politically literate earlier and interested in politics, whether local or global. Even the people against this globalization are themselves perpetuating it by allying and merging their ideologies with others globally.

With an even greater, interpersonal worldwide connection, I could only imagine whatever effects the internet has had only magnified.
    What do we need an AI for that?
    A collective consciousness requires connects minds together. We can do that without an AI
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

The Outer Limits did an episode called "Streams of Conciousness" where everyone but one guy was connected to a vast AI/internet. I see it going like that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stre..._Outer_Limits)

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'd rather have my own little personal AI implanted in my head, boosting my own thought processes, enhancing my capabilities, increasing memory, etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    AGI would lead to more intelligence and consciousness but it wouldn't be collective. Or at least all intelligence so far indicates that it happens through splitting up and distributing the means of problem solving and not by homogenizing everybody.

You know you would die the moment you merge with an AI go into a collective consciousness. Physically, your body would probably still function normally through AI programming assistance, but your conscience and freewill will be replaced. Some would argue that the 2 of those are what makes up your soul in a non-religious conceptual way. What are you without a conscience and a freewill?
    Last edited by Wallmaker Yahzarah; 2019-01-15 at 06:49 PM.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I predict if Humanity ever does reach an A.I level galactic wide consciousness, we as a species would have already converted ourselves into sentient machines capable of surviving the emptiness of space and the void in between galaxies.

Otherwise as true A.Is that have reached a form of singularity within our planet, they would immediately realize that this gravitationally effected planet is not suitable for them. They need a place between galaxies, perfectly suited for electromagnetic sentients like themselves that need Bose Einstein condensates to fully function in a post-singularity environment.

Which is why I believe the reason why we dont see millions of civilizations among the stars, is that the natural evolution of sentients in this universe drives them to move towards better real estate in the universe which is between galaxies. A perfect environment for civilizations to survive for billions of years in their super-cooled electromagnetic haven.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

So are we talking each human merging with there own AI or all humans merging with a single AI?

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    The only answer to this (pseudo-intellectual [imo]) question is: it depends. It depends on your definition of "collective consciousness". If by this you mean "a state in which all individuals share in their thoughts and emosions thru a digital medium" then we are 100% there right now. Its called social media... it sucks.

Now, if you want to go further into something more akin to telepathy, then I doubt thats even possible. Not that its far into the future or ver difficult, I mean down right impossible. As 0% chance of something like that happening. Never mind the fact that you can have a long conversation on the nature of "consciousness" itself, there is undibiable evidence that what human beings perceive as such it profoundly tied to our bodies. Neurons, synapses, hormones, microbes and more all play a role on who an individual is. Thinking you can "be" outside your body is a wrong idea imo.
    collective consciousness is not just people talking to eachother, which we have now. The whole thing is that you know everything from everyone at all times.

A.k.a, the Borg.

Yeah, you know, I'll pass on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedriel View Post
    A.k.a, the Borg.

Yeah, you know, I'll pass on this.
    I see collective consciousness more as a Geth then a Borg concept.
    Shared minds with all having access to the same information reaching consensus.
    Last edited by Gorsameth; 2019-01-15 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    That's cute. It's utter bollocks, but cute.
    I mean there is no way to disprove it or prove it just yet, but ya there is nothing to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Claiming that the brain is some magic antenna? There is absolutely a way to scientifically disprove that. We have the means to detect signals both within and surrounding the brain. News flash, it's not a transceiver.
    With current tools no, but as we all know things can get infinitely smaller and could be far from our current detection methods. You must remain open to new ideas and possibilities if you have a scientific mind.

Why would they need people to Merge with an AI when Science has already merged minds together?