Poll: How often do you try new foods, or experiment?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    Don't bother with Weißwurst (the sausage in your picture) unless you are actually in Bavaria, or if you are super lucky and a bavarian butcher set up shop in your area. Bavarian cuisine in general is deceptively simple and really tough to experience outside of Germany. Mainly because many dishes require one of two things, sometimes both:

- A good, bavarian butcher
    - A good, bavarian baker

It sounds tacky, but this is the truth. It really is. (You can buy and import an acceptable mustard though).

As for me, I tried Shakshuka not too long ago. And there I also had the feeling that tasting the dish from a real turkish/arabic/jewish cook would have been the better idea.
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m realizing a lot of these German bratwurst or sausages are going to require a real butcher and not normal store bought brand. I’m wondering if the mustard is just a Dijon or if it’s different. Also looking forward to trying an authentic strudel.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m realizing a lot of these German bratwurst or sausages are going to require a real butcher and not normal store bought brand. I’m wondering if the mustard is just a Dijon or if it’s different. Also looking forward to trying an authentic strudel.

Those two brands are acceptable.

It's mild mustard, sweet mustard, Weißwurst Senf, "süßer Senf"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post

Those two brands are acceptable.

It's mild mustard, sweet mustard, Weißwurst Senf, "süßer Senf"
    Awesome thanks, Ill google and see if I can order online.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Just made this and it is good... 2 thumbs up... Made my version from yesterday, taste like shit. It was so good, it took me back in time and made my version taste worse.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    i want to try ethiopian foods one day. i've been told they are very spicy.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Hehe
    Take a relatively healthy chicken, mix it with cheese, fry it in oil and then dip it in mayo.
    Meanwhile people are posting threads "why is America fat"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i want to try ethiopian foods one day. i've been told they are very spicy.
    It is... Goat shank... is the shit. We have a place that delivers via uber eats and it’s very good. Their thing that uses their own cut up pita like bread, as a replacement for what I expect to be pasta, was very very good as well.

I also did the more usual one, where it comes with the spungy like brown bread, which seemed closer to an Indian stile I head, where it’s like a spiral of progressively smaller bites... ending in a “bitter pickle”... but, I like the goat shank place more... it feels more white collar, packed with cab drivers. I expect that to be stuff people cook them selfs, vs the fancy stuff with spungy bread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Hehe
    Take a relatively healthy chicken, mix it with cheese, fry it in oil and then dip it in mayo.
    I don’t know what these people are talking about. My people eat salo and meat jello, that’s made out of boiled pig feet. The reason Americans are fat, is because we live in a high pace, high stress life style. It makes us get fast food that is high in calories, then speed through it, while our bodies are recieving messages of stress... which leads to storing fat.

I know it sounds counter productive, but... Americans need to relax. Listen to Aaron Rogers... R E L A X... relax...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Dijon is mustard from France. We have it in Germany too, of course, but it's quite different from Bavarian's sweet mustard (see Malacrass post) and rest of Germany's spicy/savory (not hot) mustard. If you want to try out spicy mustard from Germany this is the best one:

#MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

No, just english.

Ethnic group

An ethnic group or an ethnicity, is a category of people who identify with each other based on similarities such as common ancestry, language, history, society, culture or nation. Ethnicity is usually an inherited status based on the society in which one lives.
    Isn't all food "ethinic" food then? Even if I have a hotdog?

On-topic I actually tried authentic Russian food the other say and have to say it was pretty good. Pelmeni(sp?) was delicious. The Kotlety was very similar to Arab Kofta which i am used too.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Western cuisine is so bland.
    You think French cuisine is bland? Fascinatingly stupid.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2019-01-14 at 03:10 AM.

Next time I go Philippines I will try balut.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Western cuisine is so bland.
    No such thing as western cuisine.

I always say the same think in these threads, Vietnamese food. It really is the perfect food IMO. It is drawing from 3 of the big kitchens of the world (Chinese, French, Thai) and was probably petty damned good to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brianflowler View Post
    I want to try dishes of Korean cuisine, but I'm a little afraid of street food unsanitary Share your experience if you tried Korean cuisine, please.
    I can give you a warning! When someone from Korea or Thailand tells you something is spicy.... BELIEVE THEM!

10+ Year Old Account
    It is... Goat shank... is the shit. We have a place that delivers via uber eats and it’s very good. Their thing that uses their own cut up pita like bread, as a replacement for what I expect to be pasta, was very very good as well.

I also did the more usual one, where it comes with the spungy like brown bread, which seemed closer to an Indian stile I head, where it’s like a spiral of progressively smaller bites... ending in a “bitter pickle”... but, I like the goat shank place more... it feels more white collar, packed with cab drivers. I expect that to be stuff people cook them selfs, vs the fancy stuff with spungy bread.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t know what these people are talking about. My people eat salo and meat jello, that’s made out of boiled pig feet. The reason Americans are fat, is because we live in a high pace, high stress life style. It makes us get fast food that is high in calories, then speed through it, while our bodies are recieving messages of stress... which leads to storing fat.

I know it sounds counter productive, but... Americans need to relax. Listen to Aaron Rogers... R E L A X... relax...
    unfortunately the nearest place i think we have that serves it is in chicago.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    On-topic I actually tried authentic Russian food the other say and have to say it was pretty good. Pelmeni(sp?) was delicious. The Kotlety was very similar to Arab Kofta which i am used too.

You think French cuisine is bland? Fascinatingly stupid.
    Yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by brianflowler View Post
    I want to try dishes of Korean cuisine, but I'm a little afraid of street food unsanitary Share your experience if you tried Korean cuisine, please.
    Well, street food is generally safe in Korea, I'm guessing. Here's a hint when dealing with street food in any country--go to where the lines are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Hehe
    Yeah lifestyle is just as impactful as what we eat. Americans tend to be more sedentary. We eat shit food like fast food because we work too much and don't have time to cook our own food for dinner. We eat processed crap because it's readily available. I love California and all, but I do love the European approach to food and work-life balance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    *puts on nerd glasses* Kofta is very widespread throughout the world. A lot of countries have something very similar and is called something similar as well. Though "kofta" is an Arabic word, its origin is Persian. Probably initially "created" by Persians and then spread by Arab traders.
    Last edited by Dwarfhamster; 2019-01-15 at 01:09 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Being American, I don't have much advice for trying new British/German cuisine. At the moment I'm really interested in trying haggish or black pudding tho

I still have tons of foods I want to try and recently I made Tikka masala It was good! I'd love to eat it at a professional level though
    As someone who's eaten several haggis-es(haggi? haggusususes? fuck it I tried.) The hardest part is actually the texture for me. also if you eat bad haggis you'll feel like you're dying for a day or three. but truly good haggis is one of the best things I've ever eaten.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Nah, he's not entirely wrong. One of the major factors in the difference between medieval and modern European cuisine was a shift away from the heavy use of spices after they become more widely available during the Renaissance - thus European 'haute cuisine' and Western food by extension tends to be much more lightly seasoned than equivalents you'd find in places like India or China.

As for what internationally is perceived as "American" cuisine, this is a function of the US having a very high population of northern European immigrants and, as is well known, the further north in Europe you go the progressively more awful the food gets. There are regional cuisines that don't fit this mold, however - Southern cuisine tends to be much more flavorful.

Go figure, we invaded the world for spices and hardly ever use them. Lol.
    Spice was at first used to cover the actual taste of meat. Since food conservation was difficult at that time, we needed to cover up the stench and bad taste of cured or even rotten meat. Since we now have refrigerators, we can at last savour the actual taste of the food we eat without burning our tongues with a mountain of spices and salt.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

A burrito at Qdoba's is about as adventurous as I get.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really wanna try Korean BBQ. Have heard so much good about it, but there's nowhere to get it where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    That's a good thing. Overspiced food is fucking heresy.

Spice is supposed to give a slight flavour, not completely overpower the actual taste of the food you are eating.
    this, as a cook you use as you need.
    the more you need, the more you bury the flavor of the food itself instead leading to it tasting like a cheap mix consisting of powdered garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sawdust.