Lightbulb How I would fix WoW

1. Remove gear inflation

a) For alts catch up make mobs drop different classes personal BOP (Bind on Pickup account wide) gear so you can reuse it on alts.
    Gearing up alts will not be necessary easier. It depends on drop rate and ilvl for alts could be a bit lower than for main. What I mean is that it can be adjustable. Also when you get some very good piece of gear for your alt(or alt you could create) it might motivate you to play that alt which is very good.
    Basically, every expansion is like a separate game, and you can copy your toons from one expansion to next.

b) Instead of between expansion gear inflation make a copy of character for that expansion only. So if you have a warrior, you have a copy of your warrior in vanilla (with the gear you achieved in vanilla), you have a copy of your warrior in TBC, etc. As soon as you step your character into next expansion new copy is created for that expansion. You still can play your highest level character in lower level expansions for mogs collection (not sure it is a good idea though, but probably you cant remove this now) but you can also play old expansion using your original character and gear, so every expansion will be always relevant.

2. Remove inflation of Artifact Power (remove catch up mechanics). Instead AP level within expansion should be shared between all characters in that expansion.

3. Add much more gear rewards. Make possible for fun and slightly overpowered gear combos. Give players a bit more freedom. It is RPG. Rewards should be for all types of WoW communities: hardcore raiders, hardcore PvPers, easy raiders (similar rewards just longer to get), easy pvp(similar rewards just longer to get), solo, etc. So everyone would have a goal. Personally, I think hardcore solo grinding could be alternative aka Mage Tower in Legion.

4. Specs balance (not class) should be a priority. What I mean, if you implement step 1.a nerfing feral dps because druids can also be tanks will have no sense. Be serious about spec balances it is very important (feral was broken at the beginning of BFA and in BFA beta).

5.Instead of having raid finder, normal, heroic and mythic modes, create one raid, but with easy bosses first and harder at the end. Easy bosses (which can have vanity items too) can be skippable by hardcore players (after they move way further in a dungeon). This way experiencing harder content will be reward by itself.

Without gear inflation and content that is available as a reward - gear, AP, and content will receive value. At this moment they lost any value because of inflation systems you created, that’s is why you are losing subscribers, IMHO.

About returning and new players: when you buy a new game you have to play it through. It is not bad it is a good thing. Remember, that your copy of character for that specific expansion will stay there forever, I think there will always be some people playing that expansion as opposed to what it is now.

Also when new or returned players return when many other players are higher ilvl it will be easier for them to catch up because everyone could carry them a little bit (community!)

There are many other smaller things, like healers imbalance in random BGs which I enjoy (as soft. engineer I can explain how to make it work better without increasing waiting time).

original post:
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...x-wow/71957/20

Just my opinion, of course,
    Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    You should copy and paste the text of this post to the thread that is already active with almost exactly this topic:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...if-I-was-a-dev

Thanks.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."