Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Thumbs down WoW is pulling a HotS

The history of HotS:
    It started out being called Blizzard Dota. It had the Dota map, it had items, it had everything that was needed to be concidered a competetor to LoL and Dota 2. It was just a SC2 custom map. Blizzard showed it off on a Blizzcon at an early stage, and people really loved it!

Then they decided to move it out of SC2 to their own game. Here, they started "innovating". They changed name to Heroes of the Storm, removed items, they made some gimmicky maps etc. to a point it could no longer be concidered a competetor to the MOBAs anymore. "Streamline and make it more accessable!". Nobody wanted to switch from LoL or Dota 2 to this game. Basically telling the LoL and Dota 2 players that love blizzard "you are not the target audience anymore, sorry". Sure there were a small amount that switched, but LoL and Dota 2 did NOT lose any noticable playerbase when HotS released. Blizzard went from targeting the MOBA community to caitering to the casual MOBA community that BARELY EXISTS. The game is now basically in "maintenance mode", it's dead.

The same can be said about WoW. "Streamline and make it more accessable!". The people that enjoyed Classic and TBC WoW are today told "you are not the target audience anymore, sorry" and instead they target this casual MMORPG community that BARELY EXISTS. See the resemblence?

And they are wondering why the numbers keep dropping. Wonder if they even see the parallel to HotS. Probably not, so expect WoW in "maintenance mode" in a few years.

TL;DR: Heroes of the Storms is a MOBA made for people that does not like MOBAs. BfA is a MMORPG made for people that does not like MMORPGs.
    Last edited by MiiiMiii; 2019-01-19 at 01:46 PM.

This ENTIRE thing falls apart when you realize the most casual friendly expansion Wrath that people glorify these days was HYPER casual friendly and had over 11 million subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    This ENTIRE thing falls apart when you realize the most casual friendly expansion Wrath that people glorify these days was HYPER casual friendly and had over 11 million subs.
    WOTLK was stupidly hardcore compared to current game. get out.

In Classic and TBC the game grew in popularity. In Wrath it stopped growing. It was also not the "most casual friendly expansion" at all. Do I need to mention it did not have LFR?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Yeah and when it WoTLK was current, it was stupidly easy compared to the TBC and Vanilla. If you don't recall the badge shitstorm - it was faar worse than the current shitstorms - then you simply haven't played it and you should get out.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    In Classic and TBC the game grew in popularity. In Wrath it stopped growing. It was also not the "most casual friendly expansion" at all. Do I need to mention it did not have LFR?
    Mate the badge system was received faaar worse than LFR. LFR grew shitty over time - when LFR was introduced in DS tier it was an extremely lucrative way to get gear.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Ahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You do realise you could farm heroic dungeons while blindfolded and get tier sets, right? That Blizzard had to artificially lengthen Heroic progression by adding a 25 wipe counter to Heroic raids that wouldn't let you continue, because otherwise guilds would plow through the hardest content?

That gearscore rose to the top, because the content was so easy that the numbers only mattered?

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Yeah and when it WoTLK was current, it was stupidly easy compared to the TBC and Vanilla. If you don't recall the badge shitstorm - it was faar worse than the current shitstorms - then you simply haven't played it and you should get out.
    Pretty sure they're talking more about content difficulty and not how rng-friendly it was (Which is really what the badge system boils down to, you still had to beat the content to get the badges, it just changed how you acquired loot).

To this date i can't think of a raid that felt more difficult to beat as a group than Ulduar. These days even shit-tier guilds beat most if not all of the mythic bosses before the next tier.

EDIT: The part where you got raid gear from badges that was implemented with ToC was bad though, that i wont deny.

Like cmon Naxx 10 overall was about as hard as the heroic dungeons (which were already very easy). I remember that very well.

Not really though.

In Classic and TBC the game grew in popularity. In Wrath it stopped growing.
    Because the MMO market had become nearly fully exploited. The earlier growth was very inefficient, as it involved tremendous churn. When the population of unexploited potential players had been exhausted, that had to end.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I love how all these posts come from people who obviously didn't play the game at the time.

WoW got successful because it was the most casual MMO on the market.

The now high of WoW was 'the worst expansion ever' at the time and gave birth to the 'Wrath Baby', for people that started playing in WotLK because the game turned even more casual.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Pretty much this. I really wish people would just stop projecting and see justifications for their biased opinions everywhere. Correlation still isn't causation. Maybe people just leave because it's FUCKING 15 YEARS OLD and they get bored, not because [Blizzard doing XY].

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I love how all these posts come from people who obviously didn't play the game at the time.

WoW got successful because it was the most casual MMO on the market.

The now high of WoW was 'the worst expansion ever' at the time and gave birth to the 'Wrath Baby', for people that started playing in WotLK because the game turned even more casual.
    Don't forget about the store and TRH!
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Faceroll dungeons, 10 man mode raids, you could get tier from Faceroll dungeons, lfd tool and cross realm. Trial of the crusade. Pretty much every wrong with wow was intruduced in Wrath.

People just missing the point really. 5 % of people (maybe) cleared HC raids, casuals didn't clear top raids any more then than they do now. The game itself isn't top content, it's everything else, and it was not casual friendly like it is now, you would never, ever get as good gear or progress your character as far as a gladiator or a top raider without doing those things. Now literally the only required thing is time spent.

In current game player power is equalized completely, time put in equals power, with nothing else in the equation. And it's a single player experience. Go figure.

Not even close. WotlK had 10 man normal raids, that were almost way easier than normal raids today. Purchasable raid gear for easy catch-up. Easy to obtain high end PvP gear.

Maybe if all you do in this game is warfronts and pet battles...

No, not even then.

Nax / OS were a joke on every difficulty, except maybe 3 drakes 10-man where you just needed half a brain to not get burned by the lava wave. Need I remind you that Nax was also re-hashed content? The Nexus raid was also a disappointing mess.

BFA's LFR is more hardcore than WOTLK's release raids. Change my mind.

The only thing I honestly kindof wish was in BfA is a structured WPvP zone ala Wintergrasp, instead of warmode; But even that was largely just a baby's first raid available to more numerous faction, that dropped tier sets for 0 effort.
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2019-01-16 at 01:06 PM.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    The history of HotS:
    It started out being called Blizzard Dota. It had the Dota map, it had items, it had everything that was needed to be concidered a competetor to LoL and Dota 2. It was just a SC2 custom map. Blizzard showed it off on a Blizzcon at an early stage, and people really loved it!

Then they decided to move it out of SC2 to their own game. Here, they started "innovating". They changed name to Heroes of the Storm, removed items, they made some gimmicky maps etc. to a point it could no longer be concidered a competetor to the MOBAs anymore. "Streamline and make it more accessable!". Nobody wanted to switch from LoL or Dota 2 to this game. Basically telling the LoL and Dota 2 players that love blizzard "you are not the target audience anymore, sorry". Sure there were a small amount that switched, but LoL and Dota 2 did NOT lose any noticable playerbase when HotS released. Blizzard went from targeting the MOBA community to caitering to the casual MOBA community that BARELY EXISTS. The game is now basically in "maintenance mode", it's dead.

The same can be said about WoW. "Streamline and make it more accessable!". The people that enjoyed Classic and TBC WoW are today told "you are not the target audience anymore, sorry" and instead they target this casual MMORPG community that BARELY EXISTS. See the resemblence?

And they are wondering why the numbers keep dropping. Wonder if they even see the parallel to HotS. Probably not, so expect WoW in "maintenance mode" in a few years.
    so tell me, what happened after Cata went with super hardcore heroic dungeons and hard raids?

yeah the game playbase took a big dip

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Not even close. WotlK had 10 man normal raids, that were almost way easier than normal raids today. Purchasable raid gear for easy catch-up. Easy to obtain high end PvP gear.
    You needed 1800 rating to buy the basic pvp weapon. Catchup gear was from the previous patch. Try again?

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    Maybe if all you do in this game is warfronts and pet battles...

No, not even then.

Nax / OS were a joke on every difficulty, except maybe 3 drakes 10-man where you just needed half a brain to not get burned by the lava wave. Need I remind you that Nax was also re-hashed content? The Nexus raid was also a disappointing mess.

BFA's LFR is more hardcore than WOTLK's release raids. Change my mind.

The only thing I honestly kindof wish was in BfA is a structured WPvP zone ala Wintergrasp, instead of warmode; But even that was largely just a baby's first raid available to more numerous faction, that dropped tier sets for 0 effort.
    Putting aside that the game as a whole isn't just the raids; I'd love to see a LFR team from legion/WoD/BFA era try heigan the unclean.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2019-01-16 at 01:08 PM.

People just missing the point really. 5 % of people (maybe) cleared HC raids, casuals didn't clear top raids any more then than they do now. The game itself isn't top content, it's everything else, and it was not casual friendly like it is now, you would never, ever get as good gear or progress your character as far as a gladiator or a top raider without doing those things. Now literally the only required thing is time spent.

In current game player power is equalized completely, time put in equals power, with nothing else in the equation. And it's a single player experience. Go figure.
    Yeah gotta solo Uldir mythic, all you gotta do is spend time on introspection and believe in yourself!

You needed 1800 rating to buy the basic pvp weapon. Catchup gear was from the previous patch. Try again?
    Nobody has to "try". You just made an uninformed statement and you're backed into the corner. Nothing you say is correct, so again; get out