Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

So, which choice is the honorable one?

Blizzard has outright stated that the Horde has to redefine itself in this expansion and that the choices we make as players will have a "big payoff" at the end. If as a Horde character I want a honorable Horde, which choices should I go with?

If I side with Sylvanas, I'm agreeing to support outright atrocities such as the Burning of Teldrassil and the forced Forsaken-ization of Night Elves and other Alliance members. That does not seem to be very honorable. Moreover, by siding with Sylvanas I would be betraying Saurfang who saved my character back during the Northrend Campaign.

If I side with Saurfang, I'm betraying my oath to the Warchief. Plus I'm spitting in the face of Vol'jin's dying wish to have Sylvanas lead the Horde. Not only am I aiding a traitor who in turn is aiding the Alliance, I am also betraying the trust of two of my Warchiefs. This does not seem to be very honorable either.

Same situation happens in 8.1.5.

If I side with Sylvanas, I'm snitching on fellow Horde members and selling out one of the only Horde leaders who's committed to achieving peace. If I side with Baine, I'm actively aiding the Alliance war effort and even murdering fellow Horde soldiers.

It seems like all four choices are inherently dishonorable. Is there any way to play Horde in this expansion without being a hypocrite? How do I regain my honor?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    How do I regain my honor?
    Unsubscribe

(or roll Alliance and lose all personality. your call)
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Side with neither in 8.1. (Do the quest up until zappyboi appears, then leave the area and forget about the questline).

Side with Sylvanas in 8.1.5 and get Baine thrown in jail for his crimes.

At least that's what I'm doing.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Side with neither in 8.1. (Do the quest up until zappyboi appears, then leave the area and forget about the questline).

Side with Sylvanas in 8.1.5 and get Baine thrown in jail for his crimes.

At least that's what I'm doing.
    Doubt that's a possibility. It seems to be a chain, so the 8.1.5 will, most likely, require that you do the Saurfang one entirely.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard has outright stated that the Horde has to redefine itself in this expansion and that the choices we make as players will have a "big payoff" at the end. If as a Horde character I want a honorable Horde, which choices should I go with?

If I side with Sylvanas, I'm agreeing to support outright atrocities such as the Burning of Teldrassil and the forced Forsaken-ization of Night Elves and other Alliance members. That does not seem to be very honorable. Moreover, by siding with Sylvanas I would be betraying Saurfang who saved my character back during the Northrend Campaign.

If I side with Saurfang, I'm betraying my oath to the Warchief. Plus I'm spitting in the face of Vol'jin's dying wish to have Sylvanas lead the Horde. Not only am I aiding a traitor who in turn is aiding the Alliance, I am also betraying the trust of two of my Warchiefs. This does not seem to be very honorable either.

If I side with Sylvanas, I'm snitching on fellow Horde members and selling out one of the only Horde leaders who's committed to achieving peace. If I side with Baine, I'm actively aiding the Alliance war effort and even murdering fellow Horde soldiers.

It seems like all four choices are inherently dishonorable. Is there any way to play Horde in this expansion without being a hypocrite? How do I regain my honor?
    Eh, another thing we learn in 8.1.5 is that Vol'jin was manipulated by "dark ominous, mysterious forces" to pick Sylvanas, and not the Loa. So his dying wish, was a trick.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

i am going against blizzard(who is pushing Saurfang/Baine/Zehkan). for the dark lady.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

7+ Year Old Account
    i would rather fight the alliance
    so Sylv
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Sided with sylvanas, even if she is a cartoon villain at least she have some contrast compared to the rest of the cast. Saurfang is pretty boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Doubt that's a possibility. It seems to be a chain, so the 8.1.5 will, most likely, require that you do the Saurfang one entirely.
    I hope not. I don't want to have to side with either of them. But if I do then Sylvanas, purely to put Baine in the slammer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember swearing and oath to Warchief SYLVANAS. I swore my an oath to the Horde, and the Warchief is NOT the Horde, merely its leader.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by P5YKO-TP View Post
    I don't remember swearing and oath to Warchief SYLVANAS. I swore my an oath to the Horde, and the Warchief is NOT the Horde, merely its leader.
    Well... technically it's to the Warchief.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Blood_Oath_of_the_Horde

5+ Year Old Account
    I sided with Sylvanas because she got the Horde into a mess that she needs to make sure we survive. For all their 'Hunur' Saurfang and Baine have no alternatives to this conflict that results in the Horde surviving. Their version of honor is masochistic and I don't want to whip myself on the back because of their bleeding hearts.

As far as I'm concerned if their actions can only protect the ideologies of the Horde but not its people, I'll serve the Dark Lady. I can't tell who wants to rule over corpses more, Sylvanas or Saurfang/Baine.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

You will always be a hypocrite no matter which side you take because the narrative is broken. But you can at the very least avoid killing other Horde, which you do by either siding with Sylvanas or stopping at Zappyboi in 8.1 and reporting Baine's treason in 8.1.5.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Play Classic and join Thrall, the only true Warchief !

Benefits include a simplified and 80% more consistent lore !
    Last edited by Koward; 2019-01-11 at 06:09 PM.

I'm betraying my oath to the Warchief.
    I don't see what's the problem with that? Aside from Vol'jin, pretty much every modern Horde leader (except for the Allied Race ones) broke their oaths to Warchief Garrosh.
    Plus I'm spitting in the face of Vol'jin's dying wish to have Sylvanas lead the Horde.
    A dying, Fel-tainted troll whose foolish decision based on cryptic BS caused the deaths of thousands of innocents. Vol'jin deserves much worse than a simple spit in the face.

Not only am I aiding a traitor who in turn is aiding the Alliance,
    But what is the problem with that?? You claim that siding with Saurfang is a spit in Vol'jin's face, the same Vol'jin who realized that the Horde couldn't do jackshit without the Alliance. Did you not help Alliance players defeat Garrosh in Patch 5.4?
    I side with Baine, I'm actively aiding the Alliance war effort and even murdering fellow Horde soldiers.
    I mean, ugh, if you play a Blood Elf, that shouldn't be a problem right? Didn't Theron plan on backstabbing the Horde and rejoining the Alliance in Mists, before the emo bitch Jaina ruined everything?
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Baine doesn't care about peace for the Horde or the Horde.

He exiled innocent tauren for defending against the Alliance when the tauren were being attacked!

Quote Originally Posted by P5YKO-TP View Post
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Fate_of_the_Horde

So, the famed <class> from the Broken Shore has returned.

These are dire times. I have need of a hero with your skills.

What say you? Will you help avenge Vol'jin? Will you drive the Legion from our lands?

For blood and honor, Warchief!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: I accept your pledge of loyalty, <name>. The Horde endures!
    At least Sylvanas took it as a pledge of loyalty.

Not showing loyalty to her character in the game is not honorless, but is much more akin to the actual W3 campaign in a sense that lost honor needs to be reclaimed. Saying that orcs are honorbound to follow her simply because she's warchief is as stupid as saying that they were honorbound to honor their word given to the Burning Legion. The same thing goes for Kael'thas when it comes to blood elves and them not following their prince or the Forsaken not following Arthas.

One could argue that lots of honor was lost in the meantime too through activities completely unrelated to her, though her character pushed it past a red line beyond which any leading Horde character should come to terms that there's no future with her in charge, regardless whether the Alliance gets beaten or not.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2019-01-11 at 07:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Fate_of_the_Horde

At least Sylvanas took it as a pledge of loyalty.
    .....Go away... I HELD MY FINGERS CROSSED SO I DIDN'T MEAN IT!

From my PoV, any PC that has the knowledge that our characters should at this point (knows of the old gods, and the titans, has withnessed multiple being be corrupted to destroy azeroth AND has sided with members of the opposite faction to stop many of these evils), the only honorable thing to do would be to get the faction hatred stick out of your ass and oppose any leader that encourages it. The faction war is entirely understandable for leaders and peasants, but not for our characters imo. By that token, I'd say neither Saurfang nor Sylvanas make sense, but Saurfang is by far the best choice out of the two.

Then again, I'm not so sure that the concept of "honor" cares about doing the right thing for the world as much as it cares about subservience for the sake of the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oath this oath that, sounds like a kindergarten lunch break promise

"But I promised Laura that I'll never be friends with karen!"

Also, as per the coming patch voljin was duped to name sylvanas warchief, so....yeah...dunno what to tell you,....all hail Nzoth?
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)