Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I remember thinking the 2016 movie had potential despite the negativity surrounding it. And I gave a look.
    I really wanted to like it...but the shoddy script was just simply awful and relied on the tiresome "make every guy dumb as bricks so the girls can shine."
    And it wasn't funny at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Not really the press just the announcement and the trailer really. when it first came i remember a ton of hate and people putting out a ton of videos about it but it could just be bad faith reporting as you said.

past that i checked out as ghost busters isn't really my thing.
    It really wasn't that bad to start with, I thought the GB16 teaser was good, and it felt like people were quietly optimistic. But I'm sure there is that one guy in Idaho who tweets he doesn't want female ghostbusters and then the blog sites turn it in to a 2 page article about all men are misogynistic and it continues from there.

When the real pressers for it came out and people started to get an idea of what kind of movie it was, it was heavily criticized, rightfully so. It didn't help the director was going around talking about not having to write a script and a lot of the interviews painted criticism of the movie as again misogynistic. It turned into a real shit show unfortunately.

The movie isn't awful, but if you go into it expecting a Ghostbusters quality movie you have the wrong expectation; it really does feel like a 2 hour SNL skit, it feels like Zoolander or Night at the Roxbury in a ghostbusters costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Looks like shit. None of the original cast just a bunch of child actors that no one asked for.

Ghostbusters only worked because the chemistry of the original cast you cant replicate that.
    Isn't the "call it fate" line literally Murray's character speaking?

And I don't understand why fans think that their "asking for" something means jack all. Pretty sure no one asked for the original Ghostbusters movie, and they made it anyway. And people probably did ask for Ghostbusters 2...and that turned out oh so well, didn't it? So whatever sense of entitlement you may have is completely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I want to see what the ghosts look like. I really hate the haunted mansion cgi ghosts we had in the Ghostbusters reboot.

It was probably a good idea for them not to show everything in the very first trailer, but there are two quick shots of them. One there and one around 1:05.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-12-09 at 11:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post

This pretty much explains it.
    Yeah dude the main problem with the movie was that there were female ghostbusters and that they weren't male amirite? It wasn't for the fact that the original ghostbusters was a scifi movie with comedy elements attached to it. And the new one doesn't even try to replicate this. It's just an SNL skit disguised as a ghostbusters film that pokes fun at the source material and tries so desperately to be funny it fails horribly.

If you watch this video you'll see why the original holds up so well today compared to this new one which doesn't even compare. And I know what you're gonna say. "YOU EXPECT ME TO WATCH A 10 MINUTE VIDEO? PASS!" Fine. But the jist of it is, is that the 2016 ghostbusters is a bloated, unfunny mess that treats it's audience like morons, uses "technobabble" constantly to make itself try to sound smart, and has constant ad lib jokes in it that don't make sense most of the time. Following the mantra of "If they're not talking then it's not funny." This comes straight from Paul Fieg's mouth by the way.

I'm not gonna forget the "Come get your virginity from the lost and found" joke, an adlibbed line by Melissa Mccarthy from the final act. Yeah... just think about that line for a minute. The whole fucking movie was like that. Meanwhile the original had a lot of thought put into it since it wasn't even considered that it was going to be a franchise like every fucking movie today is going to have it's own cinematic universe(Remember the mummy 2017?)

I'm getting a stranger things vibe from this movie. Which is good. It's not spitting in the face of the fans of the original. Which is what the marketing and media of 2016 did fucking constantly. I'm hoping to christ this movie is good.

That wasn't a bad vid on why GB2016 failed.
    And it focused pretty much on the one comparison; the scene when we first see the proton packs get turned on (194 elevator scene), versus the proton packs getting introduced in the alley (2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    The original cast is returning, they just didn't appear in THIS trailer (though you can hear Bill Murray's voice talking at the end: "Call it fate...")

As for what this movie is doing that the 2016 one didn't? First of all, it's clearly connected to and a love letter to the original movies. The 2016 reboot had no connection to the original films beyond a few cameos. It was literally a gender-swapped remake, except with shitty, unfunny jokes.

All the 2016 reboot had in terms of creativity began and ended with gender-swapping the team. That is literally it. This movie continues the story in a new and interesting way with new characters, but also bringing in the old ones too (again, they didn't actually APPEAR in the trailer aside from Murray's lines, but they are confirmed to be in it). Also, we get to find out what happened after the events of Ghostbusters 2, and it looks like Egon was researching something big before he died and left his farm to his daughter.

I'm absolutely going to see this.
    Given the way they "returned" in Ghostbusters 2016 I am not going to get my hopes up.

I hope we could go back in time and find all the people that took part in the abomination of Ghostbusters 2016 and delete it from history for what a mess up it was.

Well, we could go back in time on the actual thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Well, we could go back in time on the actual thread
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocd8f86ed6f0 View Post
    I have never seen the cast in action in anything, so as for their on screen chemestry I cant really comment, but the look of that image has me worried that the absolute favorite movie of my childhood will be decemated by people wanting to make a quick cash in on one of the most iconic movies of all time

Every post on the first page of that thread has aged like fine wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

At first I thought this was a fan made trailer even going as far as using the old Ghostbusters music from the first movie.

This one looks to be an actual sequel but even though I am happy its a sequel I am still in the same position I was 3 years ago where I feel the ship for a sequel sailed many years ago.

I am very cautious. I still haven't watched the reboot, that being the only reason I didn't was the fact that it was a reboot and had nothing to do with the fact the Ghostbusters had vaginas. If it had been a sequel I would have been into it regardless of it being all women.

But even though I want it to be good I just don;t think they can recapture that magic again. It's a horrible gut feeling.

Thats not to say the trailer didn't get me hyped.

Update December 2019

I reeeeeeally hope it's not the female sequal!!
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    No its not a sequel to the reboot, (that I still haven't seen), its the basically Ghostbusters 3... or 4 if you count the video game that people and fans say is the canon 3rd movie:P

I admit when the bespectacled girl brushed back the overalls and we see Egon's name...got a little nostalgic.

Getting serious Transformers and Bumblebee vibes from it...

But, it can't ever possibly be worse than the 2016 one, and I was never a big fan of the originals neither, so I'mma keep an open mind and hope the kids cast and writing won't be next level eye-roll material.

Bumblebee was a good movie...

I think they're looking to do a bit of a makeover..kids but with a bit of the old spirits from the first GB movie...

..."spirits..." I kill me...

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    It's not supposed to be, if we're going by what the writers have stated. Even the newly released trailer references back to the original Ghostbusters quite a bit.

Someone mentioned that it had a Stranger Things vibe to it, although that may just be a poke at the actor in it. If we're going a Ghostbusters 2016 comparison, the tone conveyed by each trailer completely different. From the limited amount of footage we have, it feels like we will get something at least more akin to the original, which was a cross between a sci-fi/horror and a comedy. If there was a downside to be had, I worry that it may end up being too Disney-esque with the focus being almost completely on the kids plus Paul Rudd... which could just be a marketing thing, especially with the heavy presences of Rudd in the trailer. If they can avoid terrible kid performances and the pitfalls of relying on mostly nostalgia while focusing on good storytelling, this could be a pretty good movie.

I will miss my Venkman humor, though, as it's pretty similar to the humor I like and dish out.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    No its not a sequel to the reboot, (that I still haven't seen), its the basically Ghostbusters 3... or 4 if you count the video game that people and fans say is the canon 3rd movie:P
    I saw parts of the female version. Got bored during half of the movie. I did find Helmsworth's roles pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    knowing absolutely nothing about the last one other then the outrage it got this kinda seems like the jist of it on the surface.
    It's rather funny though as this one is clearly politically correct and inclusive-as-hell in its representation, yet not receiving the same hatred from the first trailers.
    The later criticisms for the 2016 one were entirely legit though, as in the quality of it as a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    It's rather funny though as this one is clearly politically correct and inclusive-as-hell in its representation, yet not receiving the same hatred from the first trailers.
    The later criticisms for the 2016 one were entirely legit though, as in the quality of it as a movie.
    That is the general consensus yea, that 2016 version was an abomination and never should have been made yet the director got it in his mind to make it.
    It did have a few moments, such as Chris Helmsworth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the new trailer! The whole thing seems like a lost episode of the 80s animated series (gunner seat was in the cartoon) but 30 years later.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

What if Janine Melnitz is her Grandmother?

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?