Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    this movie is so bizarre, why is it acting like the originals were some kind of spielbergian affair? its nostalgic in tone for a movie that doesnt exist lol

like the movie itself looks fine to good but idk its just weird
    Last edited by Porimlys; 2021-07-27 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I really don't understand all the people complaining about this movie's existence, and remakes/"sequels" of old franchises. These movies aren't for you if you were young enough to watch the original Ghostbusters movies, sorry to tell you. This movie, and the other remakes like it, are more for the new generation. I'm not too excited about this movie personally, but because of it now I get to watch the originals with my daughter in preparation for this movie and she is super excited to see it (and watch the old ones too! score!)
    The people who watched the original movie as kids are exactly who this movie is aimed at. Why else do you think they put that Bill Murray tease at the end? For all the kids out there who have never seen the original?

They've burned all their good will with this franchise.

This one is going to be a wait til it's on Netflix for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    The people who watched the original movie as kids are exactly who this movie is aimed at. Why else do you think they put that Bill Murray tease at the end? For all the kids out there who have never seen the original?
    That was Ray at the end.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Pretty good trailer, I'm not really interested in kid centered films though, so I probably won't see it in theaters.

This feels like "Goonies" meets "Ghostbusters."
    Not a bad thing.

...they put that Bill Murray tease at the end...
    Not sure if trolling, naive, confused, or just dumb.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    Not sure if trolling, naive, confused, or just dumb.
    Or hey, maybe I just made a simple mistake and when I searched online I ran into a number of articles that also said it was Murray's voice at the end so I didn't bother to rewatch the trailer. Not to mention that just today action figures for the movie were previewed with one being a grey haired Murray in a ghostbusters uniform.

Nah. I must be a dumb, confused troll.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2021-07-27 at 11:09 PM.

That's why I said it is looking pretty solid. Could still end up a total mess but it is far more promising than the 2016 one.
    Opinions and all, but I thought the 2016 one was fine. Some bad directing/story choices but definitely not the hot mess people like to call it.

I really don't understand all the people complaining about this movie's existence, and remakes/"sequels" of old franchises. These movies aren't for you if you were young enough to watch the original Ghostbusters movies, sorry to tell you. This movie, and the other remakes like it, are more for the new generation. I'm not too excited about this movie personally, but because of it now I get to watch the originals with my daughter in preparation for this movie and she is super excited to see it (and watch the old ones too! score!)
    It is not inherently true that it's not "for you", but it is silly to complain about the existence of the film. The original does not mystically disappear because of a remake or sequel.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the parents taking their kids to see the movie imho. You gonna tell me Spongebob wasn't made for kids cuz it has adult jokes mixed in there for the parents that watch it with their children? This isn't exactly some new concept here movies like this are made to bridge the generations together and expose the newer generation to the franchise.
    Ghostbuster: Afterlife a PG-13 movie. This isn't a kids movie with some adult-esq. jokes tossed in. This is a studio bringing back a successful and well loved franchise because nostalgia is big money. This is a movie aimed at people who loved Ghostbusters when the were young and now can share a bit of that with their children and not a movie aimed at kids with some adult humor mixed in so the parents don't get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Opinions and all, but I thought the 2016 one was fine. Some bad directing/story choices but definitely not the hot mess people like to call it.
    Fair enough. I just really cannot stand it when comedy movies don't bother to write jokes, they just hire "funny" people, sit them down in a room and tell them to riff for 20 min. and then they just cobble a scene together from that. It just always comes off a fake and forced and immediately takes me out of the movie.

Fair enough. I just really cannot stand it when comedy movies don't bother to write jokes, they just hire "funny" people, sit them down in a room and tell them to riff for 20 min. and then they just cobble a scene together from that. It just always comes off a fake and forced and immediately takes me out of the movie.
    To me, Kate McKinnon was the only one that came close to fitting in with the old crew.

Looks like an actual movie instead of a two hour long SNL sketch.

That looks like crap. Like a crappy kid's movie. I would rather watch the 2016 ghostbusters than a crappy kid's movie.
    When I was a kid, if I seen a movie, book, or tv show aimed at kids or teenagers, I was insulted.
    I was a kid when the original ghostbusters came out. I watched it in the theater. I liked it and have watched it several times.
    I never thought it was bust a gut funny but I always thought it was clever funny. I felt the same way about the 2nd one and the 2016 one.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2021-07-28 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    You realize there is ample opportunity in a film to have "scenes of pointless improv" without ever seeing a hint of it in the trailer, right?
    I'll still take the possibility of it in THIS movie over the shitshow from 2016

Dan Aykroyd at the end! This looks awesome.

Or hey, maybe I just made a simple mistake and when I searched online I ran into a number of articles that also said it was Murray's voice at the end so I didn't bother to rewatch the trailer. Not to mention that just today action figures for the movie were previewed with one being a grey haired Murray in a ghostbusters uniform.

Nah. I must be a dumb, confused troll.
    OK, apologies.

I saw the neon sign saying "Occult Books" (as in Ray's Occult Books) on the window and knew it was Aykroyd before he even spoke, but even then recognized the voice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    To me, Kate McKinnon was the only one that came close to fitting in with the old crew.
    I thought McKinnon was the most un-funny of the whole thing. Just contrived all the way through the whole thing, tried too hard.

======

Ultimately... you know the 2016 movie sucked when the absolute BEST parts of it were the ones that featured the original Ghostbusters.

Also - anyone notice that this trailer is almost beat-for-beat a copy of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer? The similarities are eerie.
    Last edited by Leadsop; 2021-07-28 at 06:10 PM.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

I don't really care about drawing comparisons to the 2016 one.

This looks proper good and like an actual Ghostbusters film.

I'm just happy the damn ghosts aren't fucking neon lights.
    Last edited by Ausr; 2021-07-29 at 09:45 PM.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

I like Ghostbusters. I like Paul Rudd. I like Finn. I just don’t think I’m going to like this. The tone just seems off. Ghostbusters is light hearted and fun throughout, where the original trailer for this new movie seems to have the seriousness of a try-hard teen movie with a very small few attempts at light hearted comedy.
    The jokes fall flat (“maybe it’s the apocalypse”) while the Stay Puft scene looks like it’s trying too hard to be funny. The problem is that without context it’s just a feeling of “okay, banking on nostalgia. Where’s the comedy?”
    Just as an example for comparisons on tone:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDkhw5Wkas

That all said, I really do like the franchise, as well as the cast members I know (looking up the cast members it looks like most of the original cast will have a scene), and hope this does well; but, the trailer doesn’t make me hopeful. Maybe I’m being too hard on it due to my love of the original 2 movies, but won’t know until I actually get to see this new one when released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I like Ghostbusters. I like Paul Rudd. I like Finn. I just don’t think I’m going to like this. The tone just seems off. Ghostbusters is light hearted and fun throughout, where the original trailer for this new movie seems to have the seriousness of a try-hard teen movie with a very small few attempts at light hearted comedy.
    The jokes fall flat (“maybe it’s the apocalypse”) while the Stay Puft scene looks like it’s trying too hard to be funny. The problem is that without context it’s just a feeling of “okay, banking on nostalgia. Where’s the comedy?”
    Just as an example for comparisons on tone:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDkhw5Wkas

That all said, I really do like the franchise, as well as the cast members I know (looking up the cast members it looks like most of the original cast will have a scene), and hope this does well; but, the trailer doesn’t make me hopeful. Maybe I’m being too hard on it due to my love of the original 2 movies, but won’t know until I actually get to see this new one when released.
    The first ghostbusters was a stroke of lightening in a bottle, the second movie was a dumbed down kid friendly version that tried to retread the first one and the 2016 movie went with the second movie's more goofy tone and dialed it up to 11 on the goofy side... Outside of the cartoon shows the movies havent been as great.

This movie looks pretty good, but seems to be played more straight and I hope thats just the trailer. Paul Rudd I am hoping will provide that comedy levee thats missing, but the movie lends itself to a more Goonies vibe more than anything.

And if the movie wanted to go in a different direction that's fine. I mean they retried that with a reboot but the reboot was over capturing on the comedy. The problem with both the second and the reboot ghostbusters movies was they tried to recapturethe magic of ghostbusters or what they thought it was, maybe its best to try and separate itself from the original go balls out in a different direction. But yes I do agree there maybe needs to be a more light-hearted take, maybe that's just the trailer. Who knows..

Come to think of it I would love to see a ghostbusters live action TV show based on the recent IDW comics... where Ghostbusters is this international thing :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-07-29 at 03:38 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance