Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fortnite affecting Netflix, HBO, etc

we all know Fortnite has put the video game industry on alert, i found it interesting along with streamers are now competing with media giants...unintentionally

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...dWi?li=BBnbfcL

“We compete with (and lose to) Fornite more than HBO.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Gaming in general, id say.

It's not competing against a particular game as such that happens to be the current wild fad, but screen time in general, something most that have money to spend to have a limited supply off.

Good. So doing things like pushing full seasons back again and again of the next shows to create hype can be put to rest.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have cancer than give Fortnite a shred of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post
    we all know Fortnite has put the video game industry on alert, i found it interesting along with streamers are now competing with media giants...unintentionally

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...dWi?li=BBnbfcL

“We compete with (and lose to) Fornite more than HBO.”
    You think that comment is referring to the 200-300k viewers on twitch and not the millions of concurrent users playing the game?

LOL, he wasn't referring to streamers. This go's back to what Reggie said about Nintendo and how everyone is competing to be your entertainment source. Video Games are currently winning that competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You think that comment is referring to the 200-300k viewers on twitch and not the millions of concurrent users playing the game?

LOL, he wasn't referring to streamers. This go's back to what Reggie said about Nintendo and how everyone is competing to be your entertainment source. Video Games are currently winning that competition.
    Most people I know play games WHILE watching a streaming service, seems a bit weird of a thing to worry about. Netflix is ALWAYS on at our house (or hulu, or philo)

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Most people I know play games WHILE watching a streaming service, seems a bit weird of a thing to worry about. Netflix is ALWAYS on at our house (or hulu, or philo)
    People only typically watch other things while doing menial tasks in games. You can't sit there and keep up with a show while actually having significant gameplay as well. I would say background music is far more common then background netflix. I only watch netflix/prime video when working out or before bed, don't want anything to do with that shit while gaming.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-01-20 at 07:22 AM.

People only typically watch other things while doing menial tasks in games. You can't sit there and keep up with a show while actually having significant gameplay as well. I would say background music is far more common then background netflix. I only watch netflix/prime video when working out or before bed, don't want anything to do with that shit while gaming.
    It's background noise, just like music, often we'll just watch a show we've seen before while playing games. Netflix is on 24/7 here and just asked around and its about 50/50 netflix vs music. We're all wow players though, 90% of our gaming IS menial tasks, wow hasn't taken effort in years, if ever really.

Usually if I'm playing through a single player game for the first time, or first time in awhile, I'll throw both sides of my headset over my ears and just pay attention to it only.

Edit: and it's still kind of a weird topic, Netflix is payed monthly, you'd figure it'd be BETTER for them if they had to use less bandwidth while people are still paying.
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2019-01-20 at 08:30 AM.

Yeh go do mythic ghuun while watching Netflix lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Yeh go do mythic ghuun while watching Netflix lol.
    Weird flex, but okay...

It's background noise, just like music, often we'll just watch a show we've seen before while playing games. Netflix is on 24/7 here and just asked around and its about 50/50 netflix vs music. We're all wow players though, 90% of our gaming IS menial tasks, wow hasn't taken effort in years, if ever really.

Usually if I'm playing through a single player game for the first time, or first time in awhile, I'll throw both sides of my headset over my ears and just pay attention to it only.

Edit: and it's still kind of a weird topic, Netflix is payed monthly, you'd figure it'd be BETTER for them if they had to use less bandwidth while people are still paying.
    It's not about how much money netflix is making, it's about what their company state looks like to investors. So it will always look better if people are watching more.

It's not about how much money netflix is making, it's about what their company state looks like to investors. So it will always look better if people are watching more.
    If they want people to watch more, they should work on getting some of the better shows back, and redo their movie lineup, it used to be much better.

If they want people to watch more, they should work on getting some of the better shows back, and redo their movie lineup, it used to be much better.
    This times 1000. Stop wasting money and time with numerous comedy specials, talk shows, music specials and focus on what your consumer wants to see like tv shows and movies. For me now, nothing on Netflix to see after watching Season 2 of The Punisher.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped watching netflix when they ruined casual browsing by autoplaying any video you hover over. Both theirs and Hulu's setup are absolutely atrocious now. If I'm going to casually watch something off to the side while doing other things, youtube, twitch, and amazon are just so much more user friendly that it isn't even a question.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this is why Warcraft, and gaming in general, is going downhill.

Investors think that if they just shit out the same thing rehashed that people will buy it. I mean it works for the iPhone, right? Right?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    gaming in general
    Nah sorry mate.

"Gaming in general" is not going down hill. We're about to have a classic RE game remade, KH3 and DMCV released in the span of 3 months. 17 and 18 where also great years for gaming.

Stop believing shitty youtube clickbait outrage videos and go play some games. Of course if all you play are conveyer belt "AAA" games from EA, A/B, Ubisoft and the like don't be surprised when you get the obvious.

Theres only so much one can watch before you have nothing left. Sure, there are thousands of movies/series on those platforms, but no one watch and like everything on it. I watch my fair share of tv shows and movies, but from time to time I can go longer spells without anything particular to follow & watch.

I have steam, but I dont buy and play every game on there.

Now, games and gaming in general is so much better on that aspect. One game can keep you entertained for months, if not years. Its also more interaction between other people and with your friends in a game like fortnite.

The fact that you can collect stuff is probably a big reason as to why kids love it. Sadly for them, its all digital and they wont have the same "ownership" from it and will probably forget about it in a few years.

I still have my footballcards that I collected as a kid. Me and my friends loved doing that, trading and all. But atleast we got to keep it to ourself and not some digital stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah sorry mate.

"Gaming in general" is not going down hill. We're about to have a classic RE game remade, KH3 and DMCV released in the span of 3 months. 17 and 18 where also great years for gaming.

Stop believing shitty youtube clickbait outrage videos and go play some games. Of course if all you play are conveyer belt "AAA" games from EA, A/B, Ubisoft and the like don't be surprised when you get the obvious.
    Must admit, for a long while I was stuck on this mindset of only buying and playing AAA games. Thinking that was the only and best way.

Decided to branch more out and try out the "smaller" companies and games. Been so much fun and much more rewarding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have to say for me personally being in my 30's I can't see the appeal to yet another competitive online game filled with hormonal unstable ragers, got some folks my age playing it but simply find there are better none free options out there.

Fortnite will probably become something of a Runescape for teens now.

And it certainly isn't cutting into my Netflix time, I find also both past times to be rather different. One is passive the other is active.

Hell .. the dance studio i live next too offers .... fortnite lessons and it is packed the days they offer it .....

Who'd have thunk that video games compete with television and movie services for consumers' leisure time and money ?