Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Hows the rework?

I haven't played since 8.0 before the raids came out. What's changed for shadow?

None of its issues have changed and Blizz just keeps applying bandaid/numbers fixes and continues to ignore the glaring issues with the spec.

At least that's the impression I'm getting; I quit World of Diablocraft halfway through Legion.

I'm currently leveling a shadow priest.

It's not much better post 8.0. The gameplay is still about getting into voidform and then out and reapplying it. There's no metagame of staying IN voidform anymore.

It's an "ok" spec. Not much more exciting than Frost or Arcane Mage. Just rotate through the motions.

my biggest problem is that disc STILL feels better for questing, disc being better able to handle melee on pvp servers just solidifies my choice of questing as disc, unless i have a kill quest and theres no one around to drag the mobs to. then I switch to shadow, do the quest and go back to disc.

There was no rework, just numbers tweaks.
    If you disliked Shadow Priest's gameplay, you'll still hate it.

Have to wait for a proper rework to show, but I think that's kinda off the grid now.

I love it when you get a crit on the opener so you're popping voidform in the first few seconds otherwise its a little slow. Feels fun though. Im only 364 so havent the stats to comment properly but yeah.. its fun. I like it more than boomkin and ele.

A couple reworked traits are carrying us in M+ in terms of damage.

That's about it.

We are killing it in AoE, i'll give u that. ST isn't that bad either.

But again, these are all about numbers.

About the gameplay, I enjoy how Thought Harvester changes your priorities and gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good damage, could be smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtlmtlm View Post
    my biggest problem is that disc STILL feels better for questing, disc being better able to handle melee on pvp servers just solidifies my choice of questing as disc, unless i have a kill quest and theres no one around to drag the mobs to. then I switch to shadow, do the quest and go back to disc.
    Was disc nerfed that much? I quested all the way through killing everything as disc.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Was disc nerfed that much? I quested all the way through killing everything as disc.
    Pretty hard on a survival basis, Basically Melee now do more damage (15% less damage reduction from melee attacks) healing overall was nerfed about 5% via atonement and you can no longer spam shields on yourself, forcing you to cast. Not saying you can't win 1vs1 vs melee, ofc you can, but your chance of doing so is now less then it was.

Shadow is one of the best RDPS currently for raids, they scale really well with gear due to their rotation having a snowball effect with secondary stats(the more crit+haste you get, the longer you stay in voidform which is a vast majority of your damage output).

Might even get some nerfs, but who knows.

Also in m+ they are in a good spot, not demon hunter/boomkin good, but mid-tier along with classes like Hunters and Warlocks.

The rework did nothing. The new raid has a bunch of fights with situations that match our strengths though - multi dotting situations with adds that live more than 10 seconds and can't be stacked up easily.

There was none... Blizzard lied about that, along with many things.

You have to understand that SPs generally aren't at a very good spot as far as performance goes in the beginning of expansions, but we scale very well. Now that being said we're in a very good place right now. Obviously you're not going to have a crazy single target burst, because some delusional developer decided that shadow didn't need dark archangel, but BoD offers wide variety of encounters where almost every other class falls off pretty quickly while we're maintaining our consistent damage. I'd go as far as saying that if you're not in top 5 in every single BoD boss fight, it's either your gear is off, or your rotation/awareness is off.

Yes we have some problems that needs to be fixed and i could go into details, but generally speaking we are fine.
    Last edited by Chillside; 2019-01-30 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adammonroe View Post
    I haven't played since 8.0 before the raids came out. What's changed for shadow?
    Shadow is in a pretty good place, the spec plays a lot faster, and it's pretty well suited to the new tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo the real problem is the community perception of the class.

I've lost count of how many people I've seen saying something like "Who invited the spriest?11!?!1 lollll.....", "spriest sucks, you should just heal", "pull your weight or i'll replace you" then after seeing me beat the crap out of them in dps, they either apologize or ask for my bnet tag thinking I'm "one of a kind", when I'm far from being amazing, just a spriest that knows the spec.

Although shaman dps also went through a lot of issues, people would usually see a shaman as "good enough". That doesn't happen with spriest, you can be near BiS and people will still give you crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Icathian View Post
    Imo the real problem is the community perception of the class.

I've lost count of how many people I've seen saying something like "Who invited the spriest?11!?!1 lollll.....", "spriest sucks, you should just heal", "pull your weight or i'll replace you" then after seeing me beat the crap out of them in dps, they either apologize or ask for my bnet tag thinking I'm "one of a kind", when I'm far from being amazing, just a spriest that knows the spec.

Although shaman dps also went through a lot of issues, people would usually see a shaman as "good enough". That doesn't happen with spriest, you can be near BiS and people will still give you crap.

Here is my theory, it's a known fact that there are some classes that have very low skill-ceiling, I'm not bashing anyone, but if you take an arcane mage for example, i don't care what colour your logs are and how much dps you're doing, you have literally 3 abilities and THE ONLY thing you'll have to get used to is the timing of your ONE cooldown, which takes legit one day even if you've never played a mage before, that's it... when it comes to SP, there is a little more to it and it takes alot more time to get used to utiizing your abilities or talent choices, possibly using different rotation for every other encounter. Long story short i honestly think that new shadow priest players are at highest chance to fuck their rotation up, there are core abilities and there are fine details that majority don't seem to pay alot of attention to, which leads to gigantic performance loss on the long run. I've seen 380+ SPs while doing m+ on my alts and thinking to myself what in the hell is this guy doing, but i don't get mad, because it's not like they're doing poorly on purpose, they don't know any better, it needs time.
    So, statistically speaking, the majority of SPs that you see will perform poorly and honestly i don't blame people for not trusting SPs, I don't trust them myself unless i coach them from A to Z before we begin, which is rarely the case. The real problem is the fact that gearing is so easy (Thanks to titanforging - which needs to be removed from the game, and other spoonfeeding mechanics that blizzard is offering to casual players ), that it's impossible to judge a player objectively based on what he has or where he's at.
    Let's be real here, you'd rather pick a DH or frostmage... which is almost a guarantee that they'll at least do good aoe even if they fuck up everything else, because that's the game design
    It's just my opinion though, could be subjective
    Last edited by Chillside; 2019-01-29 at 09:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillside View Post
    Here is my theory, it's a known fact that there are some classes that have very low skill-ceiling, I'm not bashing anyone, but if you take an arcane mage for example, i don't care what colour your logs are and how much dps you're doing, you have literally 3 abilities and THE ONLY thing you'll have to get used to is the timing of your ONE cooldown, which takes legit one day even if you've never played a mage before, that's it... when it comes to SP, there is a little more to it and it takes alot more time to get used to utiizing your abilities or talent choices, possibly using different rotation for every other encounter. Long story short i honestly think that new shadow priest players are at highest chance to fuck their rotation up, there are core abilities and there are fine details that majority don't seem to pay alot of attention to, which leads to gigantic performance loss on the long run. I've seen 380+ SPs while doing m+ on my alts and thinking to myself what in the hell is this guy doing, but i don't get mad, because it's not like they're doing poorly on purpose, they don't know any better, it needs time.
    So, statistically speaking, the majority of SPs that you see will perform poorly and honestly i don't blame people for not trusting SPs, I don't trust them myself unless i coach them from A to Z before we begin, which is rarely the case. The real problem is the fact that gearing is so easy (Thanks to titanforging - which needs to be removed from the game, and other spoonfeeding mechanics that blizzard is offering to casual players ), that it's impossible to judge a player objectively based on what he has or where he's at.
    Let's be real here, you'd rather pick a DH or frostmage... which is almost a guarantee that they'll at least do good aoe even if they fuck up everything else, because that's the game design
    It's just my opinion though, could be subjective
    I know what you mean about spriests in general...some of them trigger me so bad, I end up wanting to whisper them offering help because they're just so clueless.

What triggers me the most is slow dotting. They will apply SWP and VT on a mob, and then they just stand there for at least 2 gcd's staring at the mob. Just staring. Then they will suddenly wake up and use MF, or dot some other mob, shield themselves for no reason, and a bunch of other stuff until finally going back to slow dotting.

Some casters really cannot understand that every gcd counts and you gotta cast spells constantly. This seems to affect dot specs for some reason, maybe people think like "Ok, there goes my dot! Job done." idk. /rant

I agree with @Chillside This has been a long-standing issue with sgadowpriests for many expansions. You also have to keep in mind that shafowpriests were in an unusually bad spot for much of this expansion in particular. They didn’t get off to a good start, and that bias can be very difficult to overcome.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

@Kilee25 Absolutely. I always say that it has been a tendency for us to be weak in the beginning of almost every single expansion, so going into new one you'd obviously expect pretty much everybody to outperform you and i'm fine with that, because first of all i'm used to it, but most importantly we all know damn well that as secondary stats progress throughout the expansion we scale better than others, we will catch up sooner or later. However i can see how this could be really discouraging for someone who either just rerolled to SP or maybe hasn't played SP for more than a year or two which party ties into what @Icathian said, if you're really discouraged and you feel like regardless of hard you try, your performance still remains below average, why would you even try. So if a guy is even slightly irresponsible and doesn't feel the need to try his hardest to make someone else's job easier, plus the fact that he's discouraged.. that pretty much could explain why some people put their dots up and just stand there, again, i don't justify that, that's irresponsible, but there is an reason for that.

Anyway, as a respond to OP, we're in a really good place right now, especially compared to where we were 5 months ago