Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Should I just buy a skip/boost?

I'm trying to get into this game but the leveling is the worst. Is it worth buying a boost?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    I'm trying to get into this game but the leveling is the worst. Is it worth buying a boost?
    If you dont like the leveling or the story in a story based game, then you don't like the game. A skip for this game is entirely pointless unless it is for an alt. And once you unlock deep dungeons , alt class leveling is a breeze.

If you don't like what you see the game ain't for you because thats what it is from start to finish.

What specifically is it about the leveling that you dislike or that makes it "the worst?" Is it having to chug through the story? The lack of skills? How slow combat is?

More information would be helpful.

The leveling in the ARR zones suck, especially if you play a class with few dps buttons like white mage. Buy a level boost and then you can play through the main story without having to worry about slow gameplay with 2 abilities to choose from. The combat gets MUCH better once you hit later levels and get lots of buttons, so its win win - you still get to see the story but with no breaks for filler quests and you’ll have most of your class’s toolkit at 60.

I did it when I wanted a second separate character (for looks and lore, I know one character can do all classes) but couldn't handle leveling theough that crap again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    What specifically is it about the leveling that you dislike or that makes it "the worst?" Is it having to chug through the story? The lack of skills? How slow combat is?

More information would be helpful.
    All of what you said

All of what you said
    The story is the meat of the game and every patch/xpac only adds more. If you can't handle the story now there's no point in wasting your money on a skip potion.

With that said, you'll gain more skills as you level up and the slow combat does improve as you level up and gain oGCD skills to weave between your GDC skills.

But paying money to skip the bulk of the game is a waste IMO. I imagine you'd regret the purchase once you realized that the game is not much different at max level than it is while leveling, outside of having more skills. The story is the primary focus of FFXIV.

I mean the story is the biggest reason to get the game. Its a single player level FF14 story in a MMORPG. Why bother even playing it if you're going to skip the entirety of the setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    I mean the story is the biggest reason to get the game. Its a single player level FF14 story in a MMORPG. Why bother even playing it if you're going to skip the entirety of the setup?
    to be a lizard waifu

But then you can't be... Invited to the Sultana's bedchambers
    The future belongs not to those who wait...

All of what you said
    The lack of skills and pace of combat is remedied somewhat as you get to higher levels, many classes get a much fuller kit at level 50 that dramatically increases combat pacing, making the 2.5 second GCD not so noticeable. Some classes just notice the GCD more than others. But it DOES get better.

Do you dislike the story itself? Because the game is very story centric, with most content being unlocked directly by progressing through it with practically all new dungeons being unlocked by progressing through the new story content released in the same patch.

Can always buy the skip/boost, max level , then play new game + (when the feature becomes available) to see the story as max level.

What point/level are you at?

Combat is glacially slow to flesh out compared to other MMOs; it starts picking up around level 30 (when you unlock jobs, aka upgraded versions of your starting classes) and continues to ramp up from there

If it's the quests and you already hating them before getting to the end of the original storyline, you may want to head elsewhere, because following the end of the original storyline (from patch 2.0) you get dumped into the worst series of step and fetch nonsense in any game. I've had one friend (who's gamed with me for over a decade) nope out on this game due to that section of the quest line. Absolute damn shame because when you hit the Heavensward part of the story, it gets really good and continues to be up to the current patch.

If you're enjoying 1 of the 2 above (combat and story), it may be worth considering a jump potion. If you're not liking either, save your money.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea to get the boost, with the new expansion coming you can go back and experience the MSQ if you skipped them. Doing them feels more fun than watching in the inn room.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't..

ARR MSQ: Boring as hell, very much worth investing in story skip item for this one (the required 2.1-2.5 patch content slog will turn a lot of players away)
    HW MSQ: Some decent storytelling here, 3.1 to 3.5 will once again halt your progression and might make you give up if you just want to reach endgame, jobs aren't fleshed out at this stage so combat still feels repetitive and lacks depth
    SB MSQ: Can't skip this anyway, but you wouldn't need to. This is where the fun begins, both in terms of improved storytelling and combat with the introduction of many DPS jobs' job action gauges, the meat and potatoes (or mustard on your hot dog if you will) for the DPS jobs specifically

I highly recommend the story skip options available to you if you are the type of player that values gameplay and endgame vastly over story/leveling elements.
    It's a joke just how much better combat is post level 60 compared to the content before it (which varies by job, but the DPS jobs certainly don't shine until 60+)

Alongside the story skip, make sure you invest in a job level boost for a job that appeals to you most on paper. Youtube will be a decent source of info for this purpose

The level 60 MSQ skip (I have used it on a second account) unlocks all the dungeons so there is no problem there. The only thing you have to go out of your way for and manually unlock are things like MSQ-unrelated trials and raids which, for all intents and purposes, only serves to pad up the roulettes for alt job leveling, but these can be unlocked quickly as all the quests are waiting for you in Mor Dhona, Waking Sands, etc.

There is no point slogging through old content if it only serves to burn people out and make them quit the game before it ever starts. Especially since the jobs have had two major overhauls now and skills are gutted below level 50.

This will remain to be a divisive issue, but if players turn tail due to the asinine and terrible "gameplay" sub-50 2.X content provides, then there really is no argument to be had here. Telling players to suck it up isn't going to be an outstanding first introduction to FFXIV now is it? Any MMORPG that has been running for some years now is a big initial investment if you wan't to get a good experience.

To all you dedicated souls that want to save a few bucks and dredge through the dirt, I salute you. Couldn't do it a second time if someone paid me for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    ARR story is trash and monotonous so it's pretty unfair to say someone wouldn't like the game later on, cuz I like it after that cancer was over. Its just neverending teleporting and yeah questing in FF14 is boring.. nothing special. Doesn't mean I don't like the game, instanced content is where this game shines.

PS: yeah you should skip/boost I wish I knew about it when I was still going through it, and the prices are so much fucking cheaper than WoW boosts $25 lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love levelling, I will never understand people who want boosts, why the fuck are you even playing then?

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    I love levelling, I will never understand people who want boosts, why the fuck are you even playing then?
    To do something other than leveling? Because not everyone likes leveling? To skip the parts of the game they don't like? Or in this game specifically, to skip the supremely lengthy story preventing you from getting to content you really want to experience?

Remember there are two different kinds of skip potions: story and level.

Also, leveling 2nd+ jobs on the same character is a huge grind. From 1-60 the optimal way is to grind PotD or if you're a healer/tank, spam dungeons or do PotD...doesn't sound fun to me. From 60-70, it's roulettes or if you can get a group HoH, which again is just grinding.

Not everyone likes grinding. Not everyone plays like you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    To do something other than leveling? Because not everyone likes leveling? To skip the parts of the game they don't like? Or in this game specifically, to skip the supremely lengthy story preventing you from getting to content you really want to experience?

Remember there are two different kinds of skip potions: story and level.

Also, leveling 2nd+ jobs on the same character is a huge grind. From 1-60 the optimal way is to grind PotD or if you're a healer/tank, spam dungeons or do PotD...doesn't sound fun to me. From 60-70, it's roulettes or if you can get a group HoH, which again is just grinding.

Not everyone likes grinding. Not everyone plays like you.
    I understand that grinding second jobs must suck, but this guy is on his first job and is already bored out of his mind. RPGs are definitely not for him.
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2019-03-27 at 04:54 PM.