Expensive iTX Build

Hey all,

I have some money to throw away and was considering building an iTX computer.
    Note that the video card price isnt on here as I cant find one available yet.
    Thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($529.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.85 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($198.89 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($389.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($347.99 @ B&H)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC HYBRID GAMING Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($71.80 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1827.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-21 18:10 EST-0500

Well gotta FIND the STRIX Women and BEAT HER UP. my Z270 DIED. and ASUS Wouldn't FIX IT...I'm gonna Beat her up chain her up and Molest her I think lol.

Not bad but id switch up the case and gpu personally:

CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($138.59 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($198.89 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($389.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE Video Card
    Case: NZXT - Manta Mini ITX Desktop Case ($119.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Monoprice)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1924.31
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-21 18:42 EST-0500

Manta is such a cool itx case, fits dual 280mm rads. Id watch some reviews to make sure of fitment, but pretty sure that'd all fit
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-01-21 at 11:46 PM.

Dear God, don't put a 9900K in an ITX motherboard. You'll be power starved if you try to overclock it.

Edit: sorry I worded that wrong. It's a 4 phase with twice as many components on the VCore VRM. If you do what so many people do with intel chips, and try get 5GHz, your VRM will get very toasty, very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdoh View Post
    Hey all,

I have some money to throw away and was considering building an iTX computer.
    Note that the video card price isnt on here as I cant find one available yet.
    Thoughts?

CPU Cooler: EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.85 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC HYBRID GAMING Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($71.80 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1827.19
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-21 18:10 EST-0500
    I would go for a good Air cooled GPU, most RTX 2080TI stay under 70° during heavy gaming.
    I also would spend more on the CPU Cooler.
    If you just want to play the 1TB M.2 SSD is also overkill and you can go with a Sata 2 SSD.
    32GB is for Gaming also tomuch atm 16GB is still future proof and easy to upgrade.

You definitely want a water cooled model in an itx case, you would thermal throttle with even a strix gpu. Watercooled are also nearly silent, which is a huge bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You definitely want a water cooled model in an itx case, you would thermal throttle with even a strix gpu. Watercooled are also nearly silent, which is a huge bonus.
    Get a good and cool PSU and 2 good 140mm Fans for the front and you dont have thermal throttle in a ITX Case.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Get a good and cool PSU and 2 good 140mm Fans for the front and you dont have thermal throttle in a ITX Case.
    While technically true, the rpm you would need to set the fans even on a high end air cooled model like the strix would be way too loud to consider reasonable. In a high end build like this, water cooled is the only way to go. Hard part is finding one on sale apparently lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    While technically true, the rpm you would need to set the fans even on a high end air cooled model like the strix would be way too loud to consider reasonable. In a high end build like this, water cooled is the only way to go. Hard part is finding one on sale apparently lol.
    The hard part is finding an AIO or other water cooling rig with enough reservoir and radiator size to fit in an ITX case.

For memory, Size vs Speed vs CAS... what actually matters?

Would 16GB CAS19 4266 memory perform better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems kind of weird to me to build a mini ITX system in a comparatively enormous case like the Nano S. That case just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for anything in my opinion. I mean, the whole reason to build a ITX system is to get a small computer, and the Nano S is as large or larger than several small mATX cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Seems kind of weird to me to build a mini ITX system in a comparatively enormous case like the Nano S. That case just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for anything in my opinion. I mean, the whole reason to build a ITX system is to get a small computer, and the Nano S is as large or larger than several small mATX cases.
    Do you have a suggested mATX case?
    I was initially looking at the NCase M1, but I cant fit the performance I want into that case, so I stepped up slowly until I reached one that would work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a suggested mATX case?
    I was initially looking at the NCase M1, but I cant fit the performance I want into that case, so I stepped up slowly until I reached one that would work.
    NCase M1 is mini ITX though afaik?

Just asking, are you 1: looking specifically for a mini-ITX case or are you 2: looking for a case with dimensions similar to the Nano S or smaller but not necessarily ITX only?

If it's 1; I haven't done a whole lot of research lately about available mini-ITX cases altought I've heard a lot of talk about the Louqe Ghost S1 although it's quite expensive, I won't recommend anything specific here as it's not really my area.

If it's 2; I've been a lot into Raijintek's cases lately and I've been considering a Thetis or Styx.

Thetis is about the same size as a Define Nano S (a little taller but also a little shallower) but fits mini-ITX, mATX, or normal ATX (which is why I mean the Nano S is gigantic for a case that only fits mini-ITX)
    Styx is a little smaller (shorter) than Thetis and fits mini-ITX or mATX, otherwise similar design. There's also Paean M which is like an open frame mATX design.
    Raijintek also has a couple mini-ITX cases that look nice, Metis Plus or Ophion/Ophion Evo

Other mATX cases that I'd personally consider are: Thermaltake Core V21, Bitfenix Phenom M, Bitfenix Prodigy M, Corsair Crystal 280X and Carbide Air 240 (both quite large), InWin 301.

Basically my motivation is to make the smallest computer I could (footprint), but then felt bad about buying high end components and not being able to use those components to their potential.

Required was a 9900k CPU, 2080Ti in the smallest space. Because of small space and heat, I went to AIO's.
    I dont think the NCase M1 can fit a 280 radiator in addition to a EVGA Hybrid 2080Ti... so I took a step up to the Nano-S.

I am definitely open to recommendations!

The Nano S is big for a ITX Case but you can throw alot stuff in it and you dont need to panic if everything fits and the cablemanagment is easy.
    Also you dont have as many heat problems thanks to the 2 140mm front fans.

Basically my motivation is to make the smallest computer I could (footprint), but then felt bad about buying high end components and not being able to use those components to their potential.

Required was a 9900k CPU, 2080Ti in the smallest space. Because of small space and heat, I went to AIO's.
    I dont think the NCase M1 can fit a 280 radiator in addition to a EVGA Hybrid 2080Ti... so I took a step up to the Nano-S.

If you want a small PC you could dip down to a delidded 8700k and a still keep a hybrid GPU in ncase m1. You can fit dual 120mm radiators in that case. I was going to do that but decided the cost wasnt worth it, but if you got the funds......go for it.

Example pics:
    https://imgur.com/a/guat8

The Nano S and cases like it (mITX cases that are almost as large as mATX cases) are primarily for custom loop cooling. While yes, the Nano S is the size of a small mATX case, a small mATX case that size wont be able to fit a custom loop. A Nano S, Phanteks Evolv ITX, or NZXT Manta (all are about the same size) CAN fit a custom loop.

Uhh.. are you doing any video editing or anything? If not, ditch it for the 9700K. There will be ZERO performance difference in games.

If you’re going for “smallest computer i can get” with high-end hardware, i recommend the Phanteks Evolv Shift or Shift-X.

The Shift-X is larger, but they both have the same footprint. Both are designed around AIO water cooling (and the Shift-X can handle custom loops if you’re skilled).

Since you listed “footprint” as a concern though - because of how they are oriented, they have a TINY footprint.

My current rig is in the Shift (the smaller of the two), and i run an i5 8600K @ 4.9Ghz (stock voltage) and an EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, and do not have heat issues.

I would note though that the RTX 2080Tis might not fit the Shift/X because they are 3+ slot cards, and i dont think the Shift supports cards that wide.

Also, a LOT of ITX cases wont support those behemoth 3-3.5 slot cards.