Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I don't like the 3-star system of patterns. But other than that, professions have never been better.

I am a LW and I love that you can craft boots and legs that match what we can get in the raids.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It baffles me as well. What exactly is so wrong with unique perks tied to professions? What's wrong with allowing some endgame crafts that require a good sum of mats to make? What was wrong with slot upgrades (BS making gemslots, Tailoring making back/shoulder enchants) that keep the profession relevant in the market?

I could go on but I am definitely on the boat that sees professions have nosedived in design during recent expansions. I don't recall a more rewarding moment than when I crafted a Stormherald for my PvP warrior in tBC.
    Can't agree more. There are countless ways to make professions useful and engaging but no... they prefer to make bland and uninspired instead.

Try both crafting and gathering professions in ffxiv and see why blizz failed (hard)
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Just take a look at inscription. Deleting stacks of 200 blue ink, because its completely useless and a waste of space. They either don't care, are understaffed or are highly incompetent.

The no time/workforce argument is invalid though, because they could just add a trader for blue to red ink and be done with it. Truely mindboggling.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It baffles me as well. What exactly is so wrong with unique perks tied to professions?
    Because Blizz made them wildly imbalanced such that some perks were effectively worthless, while others were damn near mandatory. They removed perks when they realized they sucked at coming up with good ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I'll buy an Anduin shirt if Delaryn doesn't end up betraying Sylvanas by the end of the expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I don't like the 3-star system of patterns. But other than that, professions have never been better.

I am a LW and I love that you can craft boots and legs that match what we can get in the raids.
    How do you come to the conclusion that they have never been better? The crafted gear is replaced after one raid and (AFAIK) doesn't WF/TF, there are no combat benefits from crafting professions anymore and don't offer anything unique. Gear is too abundant for crafted gear to matter.

Crafting professions are completely failed systems right now. I don't even know why I bothered to craft by Blacksmithing gear when it got replaced after 1 raid and a few M+ runs. Since there is no passive combat benefit from keeping Blacksmithing, what is the point of pouring resources into it?

Crafting professions haven't really been good since TBC. At least in Wrath you had spellthreads/armor patches that gave a bonus for a tailor/BS etc

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    How do you come to the conclusion that they have never been better? The crafted gear is replaced after one raid and (AFAIK) doesn't WF/TF, there are no combat benefits from crafting professions anymore and don't offer anything unique. Gear is too abundant for crafted gear to matter.

Crafting professions are completely failed systems right now. I don't even know why I bothered to craft by Blacksmithing gear when it got replaced after 1 raid and a few M+ runs. Since there is no passive combat benefit from keeping Blacksmithing, what is the point of pouring resources into it?

Crafting professions haven't really been good since TBC. At least in Wrath you had spellthreads/armor patches that gave a bonus for a tailor/BS etc
    I think it's great non mythic raiders can craft Mythic ilvl gear (415). And it's a good thing it can't WF/TF as that already ruin the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I think it's great non mythic raiders can craft Mythic ilvl gear (415). And it's a good thing it can't WF/TF as that already ruin the game.
    For a non-mythic raider to craft the 415, they need 200 Breath of Bwonsamdi's, which is 20 Heroic kills, or 200 normal kills. Given that all M10+ drops 400 items that can titanforge, plus cache with 410 gear and heroic BoD dropping 400 items, you're probably more likely to get an item for those slots that are 400-415 well before you can craft even one 415 piece. The drops have the added benefit of titanforging up to 425 which isn't out of the realms of possibility.

Most non-mythic raiders have not cleared Heroic BoD (~2500 guilds have downed Jaina on Heroic globally) and considering it's been out for roughly 4 weeks I'd imagine that even non-mythic raiders will be some way from crafting both 415 pieces (or more if they are dual crafters) means that every week that passes is another opportunity to get an item of similar or greater quality, at a fraction of the cost

It's actually a terrible thing that they can't WF/TF and other sources of loot can, because it diminishes their value compared to other sources. If you want profession gear to matter, they need to either WF/TF, or remove WF/TF altogether

On top of that, crafted gear cannot socket and all other sources can.
    Last edited by Th3Scourge; 2019-02-15 at 03:11 AM.

For me, it seems that they wants us to spend time with proffessions too, increasing the /played time which they chosed as key performance indicatior.
    I had to spend at least 30 mins on my inscriptor character just to make the daily stuff (milling + making ink from pigments). I think thats the main purpose of expulsom too.
    You have to create tons of bracers then destroy them, just to make expulsom, for 340 gear. This is nothing but waste of time.

Honestly from afar this looks like a time/budget issue.

"We need to cut dev cost by 5%"

"How do we do that without altering the endgame?"

"Bye, professions."

I mean no idea if that's true obviously, but it sure feels true.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    So yeah, that's what I'd like to see really. A true player housing system that Incentivises doing Dungeons, quests, pvping, raiding In order to get decorations
    Me too. And I swear to god, if I hear "but it isolates players" one more time...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    IMO, Blizzard does not view this feature of WoW to be worthy of their attention.
    Pretty much. I'm usually not this bitter, but do you know how many blue posts there are on the EU professions forum? Since its inception? Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakecanada View Post
    What kind of team do they have at Blizzard? Do they ever think to themselves, I wonder if we should change professions entirely?

Should professions be just to make money? Or to give the player base what they love about Diablo and POE -- Gear and strength!!

Bring back sockets, bring back enchants on everything! Bring back making cool armor that takes weeks to make and you can compare it to Mythic plus plus!

Bring back having to get mats from all xpacs and you have to fly all over the world to get the stuff.

Bring back patches for the pants that make you tougher, bring back spikes for sheilds, Have some new and cool ideas that make people go WOW

The feeling you got when you heard they were gonna make DIABLO 1 gear again in Diablo 2

Boom

Aok
    I've had a simple design that is useful that took no thought beyond taking a poop on the toilet.
    Make it so every armor profession can craft a piece for all their corresponding armor slots.
    All the pieces are BoE.
    When you kill bosses they can drop a BoP orb. You use that to craft armor pieces. Depending on what difficulty you are doing, you get an orb based on that. An orb for LFR, an orb for normal, heroic and mythic. This way you craft the gear progression you are working on and not beyond. Mythic raiders can craft mythic raid quality gear and use or sell it. Everything is fair since it's based off your progression.
    Last edited by Biggles Worth; 2019-02-19 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Try both crafting and gathering professions in ffxiv and see why blizz failed (hard)
    Obnoxious grinds where the end rewards absolutely don't justify the time and materials used to reach the end?

I still think that 15 tidalcore to make gear that is obviated by raiding is stupid. If I want to be able to quickly gear up an alt, it's nigh impossible to do it with professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Obnoxious grinds where the end rewards absolutely don't justify the time and materials used to reach the end?
    Yeah much better having mats dropping from raid bosses so that by the time you can craft something good your gear is 10 ilvls higher than the piece you are crafting
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Professions almost seem pointless in the current game. Not from a "should I take this" perspective (though I can see that) but from a "as a developer, what should I do with this" feature.

If crafting were used as a deterministic method of giving items WF/TF levels, +socket and +tertiary, maybe professions would be something to get excited about. I know people are going to say "but then you're forced to craft!!!" but you're forced to engage with crap systems like Azerite anyway.

I dunno; just completely rework the whole thing, tbh.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

crafting professions have been useless for a number of years now. maybe alchemy is ok since it sells consumables but the rest? they are worthless.

I like being able to craft a mythic ilvl piece, I just want to be able to craft a BoE higher than 340.

Professions are just a weird and tough balancing act..

Alchemy does so well because no one expects anything except better potions, flasks, etc and anything else is just a bonus..it will almost ALWAYS be useful no matter what
    same with Enchanting every expansion you learn the good enchants right from the start...and no matter what will always be useful....same with JC

but then you get into the other stuff... The gear making ones struggle between the power of the crafted gear and the power of raid gear. I don't think Blizzard really wants gear to be a point where the best stuff is the stuff you make again so mostly crafted gear is like Hey here you go alts and lowbies buy my crap..which almost dies down with all the catchup mechanisms there is in this game. If I don't raid I'll just wait a patch or 2 until today's amazing is yesterdays leftovers that I can get by logging in and breathing and if I'm actually keeping up with the game I have a full set of good gear just because I actually do stuff and the crafted stuff goes obsolete.

Inscription..I think Blizzard just kinda lost what to do with it anymore...Glyphs were either godlike or useless with no inbetween. They kept trying to tweak the system to make it work to the point where major glyphs were gone and we only have cosmetic that a lot of people end up forgetting exist after they get the ones they like. Inscription sucks because blizzard just has no idea what to do with it and is afraid to get rid of it.

Engineering was only ever about fun...a lot of people became engineers because blizzard decided since it sucks for making money might as well give a power bonus for having it..which then became overpowered and they had no fricking idea what to do anymore...

so TLDR

Alchemy/Enchanting/JC: Good but only because no matter what its useful
    LW/Tailoring/BS: Blizz doesn't want crafted gear to overtake raid gear and catchup mechanics really kill any kind of crafted gear market and farming for the crafted gear itself will (for the average player) end up making the crafted gear obselete for the crafter
    Inscription: Blizz just has no friggin idea what to do with it anymore
    Engineering: Lots of fun but blizz is afraid of making it too over powered again..likely the reason we don't have profession perks anymore

I thought MoP had it best. It took a while to get access to the best patterns, and once you did you could make armor (pants and belt) that was quite good. It took about 2 months to gather the mats to make that stuff.