Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    They often forget these items even exist because you have to participate in the game in order to get them.

Game is currently infected by people that don't raid, pvp, m+ or do world content then wonder why everything is shit because nothing happens when all you do is farm mounts
    They exist as alternative gear to people who already have access to similar gear. A heroic raider can get a 415 item reasonably fast, yes and a normal raider can get a 400 item. Which means that crafting is ultimately just another raiding reward. It's not the first expansion where this is true, it's how it worked for some professions in TBC (But not for others; e.g. tailors) and how it worked from Wrath till MoP with Cata and Legion again changing what was possible.
    Meanwhile lower level crafting is largely useless in a game where gear is so plentiful.

Professions were at their best when they actually did stuff that furthered your character and they actually gave you perks. I used to love when Herbalism had that cute little heal attached to it. Was really nice. But like everything fun and flavorful, it was removed. -_-

Professions need to go back to how they were before everything became a gear factory just throwing gear at you. People actually used them.

Zero development. Thats why.

The primary problem with professions for me are the bop mats, the bop gear, and the amount of mats needed. By the time I have the mats to make something I've gotten equal or better as a drop. And that's fine... if crafters could actually make stuff to sell, but the gear is bop. You also can't sell the bop mats to other crafters who might not be raiders or just don't have enough at the time to make something. Ultimately I don't see the point in crafted gear when you either get better as a drop long before you have the mats necessary, or you can't get the bop mats you need to make something in the first place, at least not in any reasonable amount of time.

I feel like BS is the worst proff this expansion.

Bring back the mass gear customization that Wrath had. Bring back more gem sockets. Something different for Inscription. Spell Threads. Meta Gems. More enchants. Belt Buckles. Bring back stat Weights more in line with each other so everyones not using a haste gem.

Amazing. Simply fucking amazing.

Professions used to be one of my favorite parts of the game as an altaholic. I just came back after 4 years to find that aspect of the game in complete disarray. I can't even fathom why they separated each expansion to is own individual skill up.... Too away all investment.

Quote Originally Posted by lionhammer View Post
    Professions used to be one of my favorite parts of the game as an altaholic. I just came back after 4 years to find that aspect of the game in complete disarray. I can't even fathom why they separated each expansion to is own individual skill up.... Too away all investment.
    It will require Ion or someone at the top to change their mind and decide to make professions something interesting and relevant again. It's the way it is now so it won't be in the way of "important" things. Like raiding and M+.

The case for professions to be interesting and to have depth is mainly an economic one. As a mini-game with depth if it's done right it will keep people around longer. Especially if the items crafted are as good as other items in the game. Those "best" items don't even need to be bind on pickup. They can be for the crafter personally. I mean, if crafters are really good at what they do don't they squirrel away some of the very best stuff for themselves? Sure they do.

But the problem is more fundamental. It's not important to the top people so it's not important in the game. There needs to be more noise about this if it's ever going to change. Detailing a two-or-three person team to revamp professions entirely and make their use relevant to all of Azeroth would seem easy enough. At this point professions actually fall into that "temporary expansion" stuff that they are now wondering if it was such a good idea.

It wasn't.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-04-07 at 08:54 PM.
    To contact global moderators with moderation issues please PM any of the following:
    Tziva ■ Radux ■ Simca ■ Elysia ■ Zaelsino ■ xskarma ■ Arlee ■ Venara
    Issues specific to WoW General Discussions/BfA/Classic can be sent to any forum moderator or globals.
    Please report problem posts. Site rules can be found here.

To paraphrase Mark Twain: "Nothing so needs reforming as other people's opinions."

It was ruined for the same reasons everything else has been slowly sliding down the hill. They want to do more with less. It can work in the first round. Maybe the second. But eventually you just end up with less to do less with and you end up with next to nothing the more cycles you go.

Because they have effectively removed everything that was good about them.

- Daily cooldown removal - one thing ensured that every profession had a profit
    - Bonuses removal - It was great having these around, especially when every profession had them, including the gathering ones
    - Removal of recipes rarity - Everyone can craft the same thing (ironically they even commented on this not being ok and did it anyway)
    - Ranks - maybe works for gathering and proccing professions like alchemy but for the rest it's just pure bullshit

You know it's a garbage system when it's cheaper to buy crafted things than it is to craft them yourself.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

how are jewelers this expansion I thinking about making a new one that has mining as well?

What are they making that are making you money or useful to yourself?

They've been the target of the same streamlining/diet process other areas of the game have

Due to certain people nagging, Blizz was convinced that professions were just a waste of time and not fun. I of course completely disagree with such bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakecanada View Post
    Bring back sockets, bring back enchants on everything!
    Combat bonuses removed because too difficult to balance. On paper the bonuses were equal but because of trinket/DPS cooldown/potion/buff stacking, certain bonuses were too good. Too many player complaints about lack of player choice because of min/max DPS discovery

Sockets/Enchants removed because stat inflation was too much by end of expansion. It's really a limitation of the core game system where you need X amount of secondaries to play well but excess secondary stats cause power creep to slide beyond blizzard's control. Additionally, if gems/enchants tuned down to acceptable levels, the material cost to benefit ratio would be low. (Think enchants that only give ~+10 to secondaries because you could have multiple of them)

Quote Originally Posted by Quakecanada View Post
    Bring back having to get mats from all xpacs and you have to fly all over the world to get the stuff.
    This would be a relatively new system. No xpac had profession items (that wasn't transmog related) that required mats from previous expansions. Everything is contained with the current expansion. Also I'm not entirely sure players would want this. Go back and farm XYZ from BC just to get this ultra low (less than 0.5% drop rate) chance item to make ABC.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Because we can't have relevant items coming from anywhere but raiding or Mythic+.

Ion is running the show now. It's his way or the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Because we can't have relevant items coming from anywhere but raiding or Mythic+.
    Talk to the people that don't want to farm items in an RPG and lose interest unless they're being awarded at least one item per dungeon run.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Ion is running the show now. It's his way or the highway.
    Professions lost relevance with Wotlk, back then Ion was a simple encounter designer.
    Considering that Ion seems to be a classic fanboy, at least going by the fact that he's playing WoW since the earliest days and is the game that brought him into the industry, i doubt he himself had much issues with that, the problem is the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Talk to the people that don't want to farm items in an RPG and lose interest unless they're being awarded at least one item per dungeon run.

Professions lost relevance with Wotlk, back then Ion was a simple encounter designer.
    Considering that Ion seems to be a classic fanboy, at least going by the fact that he's playing WoW since the earliest days and is the game that brought him into the industry, i doubt he himself had much issues with that, the problem is the playerbase.
    Must be why so many people left with BfA right? Because they loved the design so much.

Professions will never be more than 15 minutes of "content" standing at the AH as long as they're afraid to let them take an extended period of time and reward legitimately powerful items at the end of that. Right now you just buy mats, level up in a few minutes, then use the raid materials to create something worthwhile after a week or two of raiding and not actually associating yourself with the profession or anything to do with it. There isn't any real progression or content its just a socketed ring (or whatever) if you were smart enough to talk to the JC trainer before you continued doing the other content in the game. There's a questline that will take a couple of minutes to gain an item that lets you do something. The items are kinda cool. Its all over so fast that you just get the reward in a few minutes or a couple of hours if you're really slow and that's it. Professions done. See you next expansion.
    Last edited by Turkey One; 2019-04-15 at 11:52 PM.

Id guess it's because they can't figure out a way to monetize them. It looks like their goal is to string players along for as long as they can and milk them for as much money as they can. They haven't figured out a way to "engage" players with professions the same way they do with raiding/M+ and they won't spend the resources on a part of the game they won't make money off so they just do whatever is the cheapest. Wow is no longer about being a great game, it's about making money, period.