Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Need suggestions for side dish to go with coq au vin

So tomorrow is my boyfriend's 30th birthday and this weekend I'm going to go all out & make him Julia Child's coq au vin recipe for him since tomorrow we'll be having dinner with his mom & sister for the actual birthday. Problem is I don't know what to pair with the coq au vin for side dishes. Anyone have any suggestions for what to make with it?

Potatoes, mashed or roasted.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-01-23 at 06:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go light. Fresh French bread, unsalted butter, maybe some shredded green beans for green stuff. Here's a recipe that doesn't involve Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup: https://kuechenlatein.com/shredded-g...nipped-chives/
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is usually served with Potato, rice or bread. When I made it with rice it didnt feel right and would suggest you either go with French bread or boiled potatoes.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I would make rosemary potatoes. Boil the potatoes not completely, then fry them in a pan with fresh chopped rosemary and olive oil. Salt lightly afterwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    If not you can serve it with a wild mushroom stew on the side. You could serve roasted garlic crostini on the side that can be used to soak the liquids on the side; the slight taste of garlic and fresh butter will synergize well with the wine.
    I disagree. The star of the meal is the coq, and the meal should be all about coq. Other, dominant flavors may synergize well, but they'll diminish the robust role of the coq and the presentation is apt to fall limp. Maybe just some melon balls to refresh the pallet.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    @gaymer77

Does Child's version include the mushrooms? If not you can serve it with a wild mushroom stew on the side. You could serve roasted garlic crostini on the side that can be used to soak the liquids on the side; the slight taste of garlic and fresh butter will synergize well with the wine.
    The Greek version of this dish is traditionally served with wheat noodles

Gotta ask, are you somehow using an old rooster (I mean it's not exactly easy to find) and/or blood?
    It does include them

Coq au vin basically comes with its own side dishes, if you're making it with the sauteed onions and mushrooms/garlic. It is not a low calorie meal. The dish has a good amount of fat in it already, due to the added butter/olive oil and the fat in the thighs. I'd stick to something light as a side dish, such as grilled asparagus, and/or sauteed spinach or kale. Pair it with a good quality red (ideally, the one you used in the dish).

Carbs aren't really needed for coq au vin, unless you spent all day working in the field. If you do go the carb route though, I'd go with boiled red potatoes, with very few added accoutrements (maybe rosemary and a very small dash of sea salt + olive oil).

It's really up to you since at the end of the day it's just a chicken stew.

Egg noodles and mashed potatoes are my go-to starches for stews, but I can see how they might not meet the needs for fancy.

Really though it's so rich that I'd consider just going with a nice fresh baguette, not even butter. Just tear off chunks to dip in the sauce.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    That wouldn't be the extra mile. That dish is french, so I would get something in line with that. A special kind of potatoes or baguette. The bread would need to be crunchy, not soft (I mention that, because some countries have really strange sorts of bread). If you go with potatoes, rosemary first comes to mind, but on second thought:Lavender would give it a real special touch. Some fresh petals add an incredible touch to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly you could serve the cock in neat slices, reduce the sauce a bit further for presentation and serve the mushrooms as a side dish.
    That sounds like something a misandrist would say...

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Throwing ingridients together at random isn't fusion. Soba wouldn't fit the dish. If you want to go that way, I would use Mie noodles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramag
    Throwing ingridients together at random isn't fusion.
    It is experimentation, however. Fusion is when, after a few experiments, you have something new that works. Stuff on soba isn't that much of a stretch, nor is serving coq au vin with noodles, so there is room for an experiment or two. I'd even contemplate using foofoo as a "what the hell, let's see what happens" experiment because bread, noodles, potatoes are all there to use starch to take advantage of the sauce and foofoo seemed to work pretty well for that kind of thing.

Beans & Mash is what is usually served with Coq au Vin

OMG that looks so tasty.. now I am hungry.. dammit

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/coq...f-124210ed9e7e

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Nothing against some experiments, after all, everything we eat stems from one guy thinking "What would happen if I do this"... But considering OPs intention, to make a special meal for a birthday dinner, I wouldn't experiment with that in case it goes wrong.

And, reading again, you described before the reducing of the Sauce and how to arrange the bird... I didn't put that together with the other post of "try soba". Together, I agree, it makes sense.

So the idea is to find the oldest, toughest bird in the yard and cook him? Without a pressure cooker? Doesn't it come out like chicken flavored bubblegum?

Definitely something I want to try one day. The trouble is: here it's hard to find a place that cooks foreign dishes correctly. I thought I had been eating Chinese food all my life, but no, I've been eating Chinese American food.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2019-01-24 at 04:14 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Try soft polenta.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Definitely something I want to try one day. The trouble is: here it's hard to find a place that cooks foreign dishes correctly. I thought I had been eating Chinese food all my life, but no, I've been eating Chinese American food.
    It's like that for most ethnic cuisines in the US, from what I've seen. Americans don't like authentically foreign food, you need to travel for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it depends on how "wet" your stew is going to be. I generally like a skinned Yukon mash when the stew is a bit saucier. However if it is very thick some boiled potatoes such as this suggestion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    I would make rosemary potatoes. Boil the potatoes not completely, then fry them in a pan with fresh chopped rosemary and olive oil. Salt lightly afterwards.
    I would also add some fresh parsley as well. I love putting fresh parsley on every fucking thing I make.

Jacket potato and green veg of some kind

And now I am hungry