Tanking +10 mythic suggestions

Just wanted to know if anyone has any tips or advice on what to do past +10 dungeons. I've made it up to +12 as 387 IL DH and I just get mowed down by mobs.

If we're talking fort weeks don't face tank shit in big pulls if you don't have DS up. Never jump into a pull without DS up and when you're about to have down time on it either call for a stun or get out of there until you can get it back.

If we're talking tyranical weeks it shouldn't be much of an issue on 10-12s.

Right without a doubt but, I tried a 12 freehold this week and I couldn't even survive the first add pack. In less then 6 seconds of actual contact between leaping I just got chunked for the majority of my life, some 200k. Even with DS up. Are you tanking 10+s?

What first pack in freehold? We talking the literal start that should be skipped unless you have a poison dispel? And sometimes even if you do have a poison dispel?

If you do have a poison dispel it shouldn't be an issue, still it's not a smart pack to fight for most weeks.

Instead of questioning who does 10+s you should learn the trash abilities at hand and better routing because if you're pulling corsair packs without a poison dispel(or without a poison dispeler using their dispel) and getting chunked that's a learn the dungeon issue.

Also since I do heal every once in awhile a common mistake I see VDHs make is infernal striking into a pull and not using DS BEFORE landing. That is a good way to take massive burst damage right on the pull, not saying you're doing that but if you're getting chunked that fast on the pull I can't think of many other reasons why.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-01-11 at 10:41 PM.

I have a VDH, and I currently tank 15-18 keys, I would recommend looking into whats killing you, in that first pack without a poison dispell as said above, almost no tank can live that since within 10 seconds of the pull you have 80% reduced healing. As a whole our spec is very spikey, even with mitigation we go up and down in HP very often, and we rely in spike healing and external cooldowns to succeed. Try coordinating with your healer to get their external in big pulls, and try and kite when they are down. I almost never have to kite in packs when im in a 15 or under, no matter the affix. I would recommend making sure you are doing the rotation to properly heal, and make sure the mobs you are fighting arent stopping you from doing so! (for referance I am at 384 ILVL, slightly lower then you)
    Last edited by Killa1329; 2019-01-11 at 10:56 PM. Reason: To add an extra point

You basically turn into a kiter. It's terrifying which is why I moved over to Havoc (and so did Shakib)

Only face tank when you have spikes up or lots of resources to burst heal. Honestly vengeance is really squishy on fortified mobs without lots of peels. Biggest reason why it falls off so badly on high keys.

Shakib swapped to Havoc mainly because Blood DKs and Havoc DHs are just too good at M+ right now. Even from a tanking perspective a Prot Warrior is superior to a Vengeance DH.

Vengeance really does need some love. Not much, but just something to help mitigate damage when DS is down.
    "Do fish have dreams?" - Nick Cage
    The Cage!! In his most primal form!!

Quote Originally Posted by NickCageFanatic View Post
    Shakib swapped to Havoc mainly because Blood DKs and Havoc DHs are just too good at M+ right now. Even from a tanking perspective a Prot Warrior is superior to a Vengeance DH.

Vengeance really does need some love. Not much, but just something to help mitigate damage when DS is down.
    Sure, but the dude was asking about 10-12s. not pushing 17s and higher...

Shakib didn't switch because he couldn't tank 10-12s lmao, he switched because he wants to be competitive at the highest levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rysthruun View Post
    Just wanted to know if anyone has any tips or advice on what to do past +10 dungeons. I've made it up to +12 as 387 IL DH and I just get mowed down by mobs.
    I'm a couple ilvls below you and my gear is itemized for havoc, but I tanked a 7 this week (Season 2 week 1) which is close to a 12 for season 1.

Even using cc and having a solid group, I'm getting wrecked hard. We have a similar issue that bear druids had for a while where we have high health and good self sustain, but we take boat loads of damage. Demon spikes is a really strong active mitigation, especially with the armor increasing traits. When it's not active, we take really spiky damage.

During legion, getting the legs legendary that gave us an extra charge of demon spikes and chaos brand (I think it was called that) was a major survivability increase. I think that simple change (having three charges of demon spikes) would even out our damage, even if it required some adjustment (nerf) to account for it having a much higher uptime.

Wowhead has this at Armor gain = (85*agility/100) and parry +15% for 6 seconds. Right now my character has ~5600 agility. So i'm getting 4760 armor directly from demon spikes. My tooltip says I'm getting 7257 armor from it, so there is quite a difference there. I'm going from ~35% damage reduction without it to ~63% damage reduction with it.

I think a 10% nerf would be totally justified if we get a third charge. So 6500 armor would probably be about a 4 or 5% DR nerf. Sure would smooth out the damage.

Is this too strong though?