Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Concept] World of Warcraft: Lords of Dread

World of Warcraft: Lords of Dread will introduce Nathreza, the homeworld of the Nathrezim, and a new class, the Dark Ranger.

Nathreza, the homeworld of the Nathrezim, has not been destroyed like Illidan claimed. He thought that the portal he collapsed behind did as massive damage as the portals Ner'zhul opened on Draenor. In truth, it only damaged the area he and his Demon Hunters were escaping from, leaving the rest of the planet intact. After the events of Shadowlands, the Nathrezim, alongside their master, Sire Denathrius, escaped to the planet where they would rejuvenate their forces. They plan to fill the vacuum left behind by the Legion and the Scourge in the wake of the fall of Sargeras and the Lich King. The only problem is they lack the anima they fed on in the Shadowlands. The Nathrezim offer Denathrius an alternative source of "nutrition", the Fel. It sustained them during their exile from the Shadowlands, when they didn't have access to anima. Denathrius refuses, claiming it is not a source fit for the Master of Revendreth. He, instead, devises another plan - to feed on the lifeforce of other mortals. For that, incursions to mortal realms will need to be conducted. The Nathrezim, familiar with Azeroth and its many inhabitants, suggest it as a target for their attacks. Denathrius agrees, having seen the feats of the Heroes of that planet in action, proposing that their lifeforce would be extremely potent. As a result, incursions all around Azeroth take place as the vampiric forces of Denathrius feed on the lifeforce of the denizens of Azeroth.

Another issue for Denathrius and his vampiric servants is that he cannot create more without the anima of Revendreth. They would, therefore, need to resort to copulation in order to produce more of their kind. But, as creatures of Death, they would need to find a source of power that would bring "life" into their offspring, who are born dead. For that, Denathrius sends his best agents to work on the matter. They venture to Icecrown Citadel, to raise the corpse of Professor Putricide who holds the secrets to the creation of "lively" dead beings. While Necromancy is capable of animating such creatures, the Nathrezim consider them no more than "puppets of flesh and bone". The Professor confesses to an experiment he made a long time ago, but insists that its whereabouts are unknown. Frustrated with the puny undead, they execute him and continue their search for the creation. As they gather intel, they discover that the creature is hiding in Shadowfang Keep. The Dungeon will be updated with new Gilnean aesthetics and up-to-date mobs, where you and the Dreadlords will be racing to get to the creature first. The creation will serve as the final boss of that dungeon, as it refuses to go with either side - with the Nathrezim to be exploited or with the player to be kept safe and protected. You find out that it is an Abomination - not the dumb brutes of the Scourge, but an intelligent and compassionate one. Within its heart lies the "Core of the Eternals", a First Ones' artifact responsible for the animation of their lifeless creations at Zereth Mortis. How Professor Putricide managed to get his hands on the artifact is yet unknown. Unfortunately for the player, the Dreadlords manage to kidnap the abomination to their realm of Nathreza. Along the way, they picked up the "Book of Ur", detailing the process required to summon Feral Worgen from the Emerald Dream. They intend to use them as weapons against the player and the Heroes of Azeroth who will surely come to their base of operations to stop them for good.

To combat them, the forces of Azeroth call upon the Darkfallen, whose vampiric undead natures allow them to deal with such threats with utmost efficiency. Using the power of necromancy and vampirism, alongside formidable fighting techniques, this organization is now dedicated to the eradication of monstrous threats akin to them. Before you are sent, as a Dark Ranger, to foil Denathrius' plans on Nathreza and repel the Nathrezim assault, you are tested for your monster hunting skills on Azeroth. You are sent, with a contingent of Dark Rangers, to Gilneas, where rumors of a monstrous creature terrorizing young women have been circling around. Tess Greymane, a proficient monster hunter herself, guides your group through the streets of Gilneas. You follow the trail of dead bodies, most likely hookers, to an abandoned house. In its attic hides a Dire Human (same vein as a Dire Orc or Troll) which you'll have to lure out. This Hulk-like creature is actually Krennan Aranas, Gilneas' Royal chemist who had been experimenting with volatile chemicals - transforming him into a hideous, yet powerful, creature. This experimentation has drawn out his darker, more unconscious part of him - a misogynistic killer. During his life, he had been rejected by many women and, therefore, retreated to his laboratory for most of his time. Unbeknownst to him, he had been repressing the feeling of revenge with his work in the lab. When the potion took effect, his inner desires came out in the form of a monster, allowing him to unleash his dark hatred for women. You need to take him out, alongside your allies, in what would be considered an encounter. Meanwhile, in Undercity, Apothercary Keever has been experimenting on live races, dissecting and torturing them for his own amusement. His disturbing hobby comes from the fact that, in life, he used to be a soldier and, therefore, witnessed many gruesome scenes. Upon his traumatic death and subsequent ressurection, he began obssessing over the living flesh and the contents inside it. He often relishes in the carcasses of his victims, either wrapping himself with their insides or constructing undead creatures from their remains. You are sent to take him out alongside other Dark Rangers. When you get to him, he drinks the concoctions he made for his test subjects, becoming a monstrous Forsaken like Professor Putricide. After you are finished, you are sent to Darkshire, where Nathrezim incursions are being reported. You are faced with three female Nathrezim, who have abducted citizens and fed on their blood and who are trying to abduct more for their master. Each one will be located in a different part of the shire, and will have their own set of abilities. You must enagage them quick, as they fly away with their "prized possessions". Once you choose to engage one and take it out, the others will get alerted, taking advantage of your distraction and making a hasty retreat. Now, in order to get to Nathreza, you will need to find the gateway to that place. Judging by the direction the Nathrezim took flight, you conclude that they made their way to Karazhan, the tower of Medivh. There, among the different corridors and chambers, lies a Venthyr Mirror, akin to those in Revendreth, which will lead you to Nathreza. Another report comes from Suramar, where a masquerade ball is said to have been infiltrated by the Nathrezim. The Dreadlords do not only blend in with the other Nightborne, using their skill in disguise, but also convert many of them to their side by using a sort of enchantment that mesmerizes them. Your mission is to reveal the hidden nathrezim among the Nightborne population and to break the spell that holds them in their grasp.

Nathreza, Homeworld of the Nathrezim

At the heart of the planet lies an obsidian city and its sky houses a blood red moon. The Nathrezim have conjured it up to empower their blood magic ten folds. As a consequence, the nearby Worgen are driven to a blood craze. In the center of the city stands a grand archive. This place of Revendrethish aesthetics will serve as a raid where you and your raid members will face the holograms of all of the Legion's past battles and will have to search and use the knowledge stored in the archive to defeat them. The archive is maintained by the Tothrezim, another variation of Dreadlords that are usually more lean than their nathrezim cousins, lack the distinct wings, horns and hooves and sometimes sport another set of arms. They are entrusted with collecting, sorting and guarding the knowledge of Nathrezim society. You will learn a crucial bit of information about the Nathrezim in this place - their weakness not only to the Light but to the forces of Life as well. As creatures of Death, they are susceptible to the magic of the opposing realm.
    A group that will help us though this place are the Magisters, Quel'thalas' most talented magic wielders, as they are intrigured by the magical secrets the archive holds. But, for some of them, temptation is sometimes too strong and they fall prey to the corruption of this place.
    Spoiler: 

Surrounding it, in its periphery, is a haunted wood where the Dreadlords are working on creating their own version of the Scourge. This is not the frosty, domination-infused undead army we are used to, but a more classical horror film one. It contains ghosts and wraiths, inquisitors and imps, corrupted treants and ancients, skeletons and zombies, mad scientists, satyrs, witches, bogbeasts and mistlurkers, squashlings, abominations, harpies, spiders, crows, gargoyles and bats and, of course, Worgen. This is where the Dark Rangers come in, to take care of all of the monstrous creatures the Dreadlords have amassed. Using the knowledge acquired in the archive, you realize you can use the Worgen to your own advantage. Being a druidic curse, passed on by biting, the Worgen possess the magic that threatens the Dreadlords - Life. In order to shatter the Dreadlords' control of the Worgen they summoned, you and the other Dark Rangers need to use your skills in manipulation to get them on your side. You use possession, which takes control of the Worgen, and you command them to attack the Dreadlords. Much like in the War of the Satyr, they ravage the Dreadlord population in this area and help you and the heroes of Azeroth get one step closer to achieving your goal. Along the way, you'll need to collect a saliva sample from one of the Worgen that will be used later on. But, not just any Worgen would do. You'd need to extract a saliva sample from Alpha Prime, the first Worgen. His is the most pure and potent. Although said to have been ripped apart by the spirit of Arvell, Alpha Prime was bound to the Dream and was, therefore, sent there to reform upon death (much like a Wild God). He and his Wolf Cult struck a deal with Denathrius, to aid him in his cause for the chance to get revenge on Malfurion. Therefore, he and his cult will be a major threat in this zone, with Alpha Prime being a boss encounter. A group that will help you throughout this zone will be the Gilneans, especially Tess Greymane, Houndmaster Shaw and Darius Crowley. The big bad of this area will be Hagatha the Witch, who will be a sort of a female version of Gul'dan. Overseeing this place will be the Dreadlords Detheroc, Mal'ganis and Dalvengyr.
    Spoiler: 

Beneath the surface, in the underworld, the Nathrezim try to reform the Legion. This is not the green-tainted Legion that we know, but more of a classic Diablo-styled demonic army. Within it, the Dreadlords attempt to convince the former members of the Legion to join them after their master's imprisonment and the dismantling of their organization. Many refuse, disregarding the Nathrezim's position within the Legion ranks. For that, they invite Denathrius himself to put on a spectacle that will hopefully convince the rest of the demons to join them. In a flash, he transforms into a hideous, giant vampiric monster that strikes awe into many of the demons, convincing them to join his cause. In particular, Hakkar the Houndmaster, which will serve as the big boss of this area. He's not the retconned Felguard Blizzard has made him into but, instead, the original flaming skeletal monster he was always meant to be. Denathrius puts him in charge of commanding the demonic forces of this place. A group that will help us through this zone are the Illidari, expert demon hunters. Overseeing this place will be the Dreadlords Mephistroth, Anetheron and Lord Hel'nurath.
    Spoiler: 

On a hill, overlooking most of the land, sits Denathrius' citadel, now converted into a laboratory of sorts, where the Dredgers he brought with him from Revendreth toil around to make the most out of his prized possession - professor putricide's abomination. As he unleashes wave after wave of his offsprings upon the heroes of Azeroth, they make their way into the portal that leads into Azeroth. To get to him, you must go through his workers, the Dredgers; Tichondrius, his most trusted lieutenant; and his carefully selected brides. The Ethereals will be present here as part of Denathrius' court. They want 'a seat at his table', to reap the benefits of his success. When you finally get to him, you'll face his terrible true form. When you get him low on health, you'll need to inject the saliva you collected from Alpha Prime to finish him off for good.
    Spoiler: 

New Class: Dark Ranger

The Dark Ranger will sport two specializations: DPS and Support. The DPS specialization will focus on the traditional Dark Ranger kit, primarily that of Sylvanas. The Support spec will draw on the Darkfallen's vampiric nature, siphoning the enemy's lifeforce and bestowing it upon their allies, buffing them. The class will be available to Humans, Night elf, Draenei, Worgen, Kul Tiran Human, Void elf, Pandaren, Forsaken, Blood elf and Nightborne. The class will feature:

Ranged Weaponry: you will either dual-wield pistols or hand-crossbows (to set it apart from the bow-wielding hunter).
    Shadow magic: your attacks will be infused with dark, black, shadowy magic.
    Melee capabilities: you will have some melee capabilities, though limited, as to not infringe on the Subtlety Rogue.
    Acrobatics: the Dark Ranger will be extremely agile, being able to backflip or vault forward.
    Shadowy monsters: you'll be able to summon creatures from the shadows to strike at your enemies. These will not be permanent or even temporary pets, but direct abilities, like Banshee Wave or the Warlock's Bilescourge Bombers.
    Manipulation: you'll be able to manipulate your enemies to your advantage, being able to take control of them or even possess their minions.
    Wraith form: you'll be able to take on a ghostly appearance, bringing with it incorporeal powers like the scream of a Banshee, the ability to fly, and the ability to go through and damage your enemies as a shadowy energy.
    Means of Escape: you'll be able to vanish out of sight for a few moments (no perma stealth) or be invulnerable to damage through your shadowy, incorporeal powers.
    Ultrasight: as somewhat of a vampire, you'll be able to sense the heartbeat of your enemies, allowing you to see them through obstacles (like Demon Hunters).
    Restrainment: as a monster hunter, you'll be able to seize your targets, whether it will be through chains, thrown weaponry or other means.
    Blood magic: your somewhat vampiric nature will allow you to steal the lifeforce of your enemy, granting it to your allies and strengthening them.

For a list of Dark Ranger abilities: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...pecializations

@Fantazma
    Last edited by username993720; 2024-02-16 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be totally down for this. I'm actually working on a similar concept myself with Denathrius. Featuring Dark Rangers as monster hunters specializing in dealing with necromantic monsters is something I've long-wanted.

I have to say though... there was something nagging at me the whole read, and it only clicked at the end when you mentioned finishing Denathrius off with 'worgen saliva', that this is basically the plot of the Van Helsing movie. Vampire offspring born dead, revived via power from an 'abomination', finished off with werewolf fluids... I'm all for references, though making the whole central plot one is a bit on the nose. I do like the idea of adapting popular culture monsters into the setting (Mister Hyde, Frankenstein, vampires and werewolves, etc.)

I also like the idea of zones based loosely on their Hearthstone counterparts (I've done the same) and having one based on Witchwood with Hagatha. It's a great aesthetic, I'd love to have that represented in a modern in-game zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I'd be totally down for this. I'm actually working on a similar concept myself with Denathrius. Featuring Dark Rangers as monster hunters specializing in dealing with necromantic monsters is something I've long-wanted.
    Finally, someone who understands.
    Would love to see your concept.

I have to say though... there was something nagging at me the whole read, and it only clicked at the end when you mentioned finishing Denathrius off with 'worgen saliva', that this is basically the plot of the Van Helsing movie. Vampire offspring born dead, revived via power from an 'abomination', finished off with werewolf fluids... I'm all for references, though making the whole central plot one is a bit on the nose. I do like the idea of adapting popular culture monsters into the setting (Mister Hyde, Frankenstein, vampires and werewolves, etc.)
    You got me there
    It is heavily based on Van helsing. But, i added more, like the Witchwood and Diablo, so it wouldn't be so vampiric centric.

I would really like your suggestions if you are familiar with other vampiric franchises. It would help his thread a lot.

I also like the idea of zones based loosely on their Hearthstone counterparts (I've done the same) and having one based on Witchwood with Hagatha. It's a great aesthetic, I'd love to have that represented in a modern in-game zone.
    If Gilneas isn't represented in its reclamation, perhaps this will redeem them.
    Last edited by username993720; 2024-02-12 at 07:49 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I generally love this, only change I'd make is to have Nathreza actually be destroyed in a similar manner to Draenor. I'd maybe go a step further and make it so the planar magic Illidan unleashed to destroy it actually shattered the veil, so that part of Nathreza actually overlaps with the Shadowlands or perhaps the whole area is now actually a conflux or intersection between the cosmic realms.

There was literally 3 expansion reveals in the last blizzcon, that pretty much wrap up the whole main story of world of warcraft, to keep making expansion concepts is kinda pointless now regardless how creative they are, its like those imaginary rosters in fighting games that already have their full rosters revealed. Also we already got dark rangers recently, they are basically a variant of marksmanship hunters. If Nathreza is added it will most likely be handled same way as Nazjatar, as an in-expansion location.
    Last edited by Elfezen; 2024-02-15 at 11:52 AM.

1+ Year Old Account
    Do you work for Blizzard by any chance?

No?

Then why did you post this brainfart?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I generally love this, only change I'd make is to have Nathreza actually be destroyed in a similar manner to Draenor. I'd maybe go a step further and make it so the planar magic Illidan unleashed to destroy it actually shattered the veil, so that part of Nathreza actually overlaps with the Shadowlands or perhaps the whole area is now actually a conflux or intersection between the cosmic realms.
    I don't want it to feel too alien.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfezen View Post
    There was literally 3 expansion reveals in the last blizzcon, that pretty much wrap up the whole main story of warcraft universe, to keep making expansion concepts is kinda pointless now regardless how creative they are, its like those imaginary rosters in fighting games that already have their full rosters revealed
    So, that's basically it? 3 expansions and we're done?

Also we already got dark rangers recently, they are basically a variant of marksmanship hunters.
    Well, yeah. But, there are some among us who think this doesn't do justice to the Dark Ranger.

If Nathreza is added it will most likely be handled same way as Nazjatar, as an in-expansion location.
    Perhaps.
    But, currently, it's a place we haven't visited and could tie-in the Dark Rangers.

Mal'Ganis is already dead though

Quote Originally Posted by cocoapuffs View Post
    "It is not known if their deaths are permanent." - WoWpedia

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Do you work for Blizzard by any chance?

No?

Then why did you post this brainfart?
    I guess for the same reason anybody else makes fan concept for expansions or speculations about the lore - because it can be pretty fun.

Sounds like a you-issue you have there.
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Ranger is class is definitely not gonna happen now it's in development as a Hero talent tree for Hunter in TWW.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3ROR View Post
    Dark Ranger is class is definitely not gonna happen now it's in development as a Hero talent tree for Hunter in TWW.
    Not now.
    In the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Not now.
    In the future.
    As long the Hero talents are in the game Dark Ranger as a seperate class won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3ROR View Post
    As long the Hero talents are in the game Dark Ranger as a seperate class won't happen.
    Good thing this was the case for the Warlock's Metamorphosis and Demon Hunters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoapuffs View Post
    Mal'Ganis became a demon, so killing him in Zereth Mortis might just cause his soul to return to the Twisting Nether. He ain't called "Mal'Ganis the Eternal" for nothin'. Only Balnazzar and Varimathras were killed in the Twisting Nether, of the main nathrezim leadership.

Yeah this is not happening.

1) Dark Ranger is already playable.

2) Blizzard is not setting another expansion in Outland/Argus 2.0.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

can we maybe smooth this over with a non unique weapon type? I'm so sick of seeing weapon drops where only 1 class can you use them. Like maybe work them into using daggers and/or bows/crossbows. You can keep them 1 handed(just pretend blizzard would do the work something).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfezen View Post
    There was literally 3 expansion reveals in the last blizzcon, that pretty much wrap up the whole main story of warcraft universe, to keep making expansion concepts is kinda pointless now regardless how creative they are, its like those imaginary rosters in fighting games that already have their full rosters revealed.
    That just covers the 'worldsoul saga' dealing with the current element of Azeroth's Worldsoul being the 'prize of the titans'. There's plenty of other elements to draw on - Avaloren has been hinted at as another continent, there's the cosmic power of Life... there's whatever's going to happen after Last Titan with Sargeras (I doubt he's just going down with the rest of the Titans)... the demons are bound to get their shit together eventually, Denathrius taking over is the going expectation for a lot of people.

And I'm not a big fan of them but... there's shit with the First Ones to cover.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well thought out, I also couldn;t really miss the vanhelsing stuff. Altho I loved that movie I do think that whole vampiric thing is something many people will like.

The nathrezim and Denathrius are cool characters and the only cool thing that came from Shadowlands, so I would be down as well.

I simply loved this thread. My most sincere congratulations to the OP!!
    Blizzard should hire you and replace some "gardeners" there who only think about flowers...!
    I loved your whole concept for the Dark Ranger (I just find it difficult for them not to use a bow since Nathanos and Sylvanas do... and common hunters can also use guns... so...).
    Everything else is beautiful!!
    Have you posted this on the official Forum? Make this idea reach the eyes of those who need to see it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Yeah this is not happening.

1) Dark Ranger is already playable.
    The devs are going to have to work a lot harder and improve a lot on the Dark Ranger tree we were shown if they want any Hunter to have the Class Fantasy feel of a Dark Ranger!
    Just giving us Black Arrow and a disengage chain that serves no purpose won't make me feel like a Dark Ranger knowing what the Dark Rangers in the game are capable of doing...!

We need teleport (Haunted Wave - 2 charges), shadow clones, Mind Control, Stealth replacing Camouflage or at least camouflage with no cooldown time, REAL Darkchains that is arrow which applies slowness when hitting the target! And many other skills and characteristics...