Poll: Do you like Baine as a character?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Logical decision would be to try and get support before open hostilities. Or at least try to talk, something Sylvanas is open to as she doesnt perform terrorist attacks against taverns.
    Or he didn't want to drag others down with him, and decided action was needed immediately.

Sylvanas open to discussion though? In what world are you living, Saurfang tried to talk to her about blighting the corpses and she just yelled at him.
    Baine tried to voice his opinion when she left Saurfang to fend the Alliance off, and she threatened him basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Sylvanas open to discussion though? In what world are you living, Saurfang tried to talk to her about blighting the corpses and she just yelled at him.
    Baine tried to voice his opinion when she left Saurfang to fend the Alliance off, and she threatened him basically.
    Maybe it was during, i dont know, MIDDLE OF A FUCKING BATTLE THAT WAS GOING TO SHIT?

There is a reason Baine is mostly liked by Alliance and hated by Horde players.
    He is an Alliance-bootlicking sycophant that disregards the wellbeing of his own people in favor of his friendship with Blanduin to the point he exiles his own people for daring to defend themselves against Alliance incursion. If it was up to Baine, the Horde would be completely ruled by humans at this point and all the races in it would be as irrelevant as any non-human Alliance race. I hated him since Cataclysm, but this Derek thing where he kills Horde soldiers made me really despise his guts. Especially when it's also about "muh non-toxic masculinity".

He might be a peace-loving young guy with specific ideals that he wants to follow, and that is fine in itself, but if these ideals stand in the way of his people's then he shouldn't be the leader of the Tauren. A leader serves their people, not the other way around.

BTW "Horde-only" polls are useless since Alliance posters will vote anyway.
    Last edited by Sangris; 2019-01-30 at 03:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

After seeing how everyone shits on him, and their reaction to the fact that the majority of the Horde is more sympathetic to him than Sylvanas, I'm going to have to say this.

I'm pretty okay with Baine now. Sure, he could have been written better. He could have been written a lot better. But I suppose I'm a Warcraft 3 player. I remember Jaina's sacrifice for the Horde, and I remember Tirion's story. If I ever admired or respected them at all, it'd be hypocritical for me to fault Baine for his current treason. If treason was the right option then, it's the right option now.

I might hate this story, I might hate how Baine has been written as a pansy, but I feel pretty fucking good today. And since I'm not a miserable piece of shit for this day, even if it's this day alone, I have to say I rather like the calf. Even stupid idealism is a relief from unnecessary stupid edge.

This Horde was built on the backs of noble traitors. What higher honor is there than to be yet another of them? If people will support Sylvanas out of spite, I'll support Baine because I'm pretty fine with what Blizzard wants him to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Wildberry

what is the appropriate time to wait until and then vote for baine here? i messed it up last time.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Like Immo said above, as a Horde player he's comes off as too damn unrelatable. When you roll a new toon (even now), you're still essentially developed to be anti-Alliance, which makes the game fun. Then you hit max, and notice one of your faction's "leaders" is wearing Anduin's letterman jacket. From a Horde perspective (going back to 2006), Baine's character development could be summed up in two words.

DUMPSTER. FIRE.

Damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Maybe it was during, i dont know, MIDDLE OF A FUCKING BATTLE THAT WAS GOING TO SHIT?
    The middle of a battle that was literally going to plan according to Sylvanas? Ok.

The middle of a battle that was literally going to plan according to Sylvanas? Ok.
    According to what plan? Plan C? Or a shitty plan E? She was going through those plans like some light novel.

Quote Originally Posted by J012D4N View Post
    Like Immo said above, as a Horde player he's comes off as too damn unrelatable. As a Horde player, when you roll a new character (eve now), you're still essentially developed to be anti-Alliance, which makes the game fun. Then when you hit max, you notice one of your faction "leader"s wearing Anduin's letterman jacket.
    From a Horde perspective, Baine's character development could be summed up in two words.

DUMPSTER. FIRE.

Damn shame.
    When I roll a Horde character, I'm also primed by my leveling experience to mistrust Horde governance and resent the wars going on. Funny thing.

He has been a flavorless and a bit uninspiring character, but I still voted *yes*. He's against sylvanas so.....

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    After seeing how everyone shits on him, and their reaction to the fact that the majority of the Horde is more sympathetic to him than Sylvanas, I'm going to have to say this.
    Where do you see the majority of the Horde being more sympathetic to Baine than to Sylvanas, though? In every poll I see he's far behind Sylvanas if you disregard that most Alliance players who vote in those polls vote for Baine for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Where do you see the majority of the Horde being more sympathetic to Baine than to Sylvanas, though? In every poll I see he's far behind Sylvanas if you disregard that most Alliance players who vote in those polls vote for Baine for obvious reasons.
    Ingame, you silly billy. The Horde leaders are more philosophically in line with him than Sylvanas.

Other than the brown orcs, who have always been evil with their vain purity obsession.

Ingame, you silly billy.
    Ah, you were talking about the Horde lorewise, sorry I thought you were talking about the playerbase.

The definition of spinelessness and cowardice is NOT standing up for what you believe in and taking action.

That was Baine's issue up until the 8.1.5 war campaign, which wasn't an issue with the character itself but Blizzard's tendency to not focus more than one character at a time. Saurfang was the focus then, now it's Baine.

Dislike him because he's more peaceful, sure.

Calling him a coward and spineless at this point is just false though.

These attributes of the character still stand.

Even the Derek questline clearly shows, that he himself doesn't do most of the killing, no, your character has to do it for him. He doesn't even lead, doesn't charge first on the ship, no, no, he follows behind your character. Why does he even need the help of the character in this quest anyway.

To quote the questtext of Baine after he delivered Derek to Jaina:

"Thank you for your help XY,

I must return home, but Zelling has a plan to hide our actions from Sylvanas' eyes.

The Banshee Queen must not learn of what transpired here, for it put far more lives at risk than our own."

Yeah, what a honorable hero he is. He even leaves Sylvanas' ship in the Duskwallow Marshes, with only the player character and Zelling remaining on board. The player goes to Zandalar and Zellings plan to deceive Sylvanas fails.

From that we can clearly see, that Baine again acts behind the backs of people and behind the scenes, if he can, instead of confronting the people he doesn't approve of in a smart way openly, like he could have done in the case of Derek as well. So i don't know what you're talking about. Baine clearly hopes and plans that he not gets caught. The difference is, that this time he is getting caught on his deed and Sylvanas calls him out on it in front of the leaders, although not in a smart way at all probably. Baine would have never admitted it freely though. Thats textbook spineless, cowardly and treacherous behaviour.

Ingame, you silly billy. The Horde leaders are more philosophically in line with him than Sylvanas.

Other than the brown orcs, who have always been evil with their vain purity obsession.
    I was genuinely stunned to find that Blizzard remembered that the Mag'har are basically the Iron Horde and wouldn't give one fuck about this, cheers on them for that, though I'm 90% sure the line will be changed to some milquetoast whining like all the rest before release.

At least they saved Bob by having him point out the logistical issues and the trouble Baine causes for the tauren which he won't allow to happen for the blood elves. After his whining about ruinous paths I was absolutely sure he'd be the next to take a hollow moral stand for Our Treasure.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Ah, you were talking about the Horde lorewise, sorry I thought you were talking about the playerbase.
    Oh no. The playerbase is fucking miserable right now. The only reason I'm able to say I'm pretty fucking okay with Baine is that I feel pretty good today. Blizzard's writing has always had "Lolwut" moments. Baine might have more than a fair share of those, but what character doesn't?

Or he didn't want to drag others down with him, and decided action was needed immediately.
    How was action needed immediately? Sylvanas had done so much worse before Derek Proudmoore and he had to act now? Don't be ridiculous, Baine has done what he always did best screwing himself and his people over, he doesn't think things through and acts like the naive little Idiot he is.

This here is bullshit just as Baines entire outrage during that spat, leaving Saurfang to die was absolutely nothing compared to what had happened in that battle, Sylvanas Gassed her own troops and raised them as shock troopers, where was the outrage about that? No instead itz has to be about the old depressed idiot, not his actual soldiers and people, no the lone suicidal Orc has to be what he is enraged about, whatever sympathy one might have had for Baine should have evaporated at that moment.

No, because he's a pacifist. I like him better than Sylvanas because she's a damn psychopath, but I don't like characters like Baine and Anduin on the extreme side of the peace spectrum anymore than I like Sylvanas or Garrosh who ended up on the extreme side of the warmonger spectrum. I actually like Genn because he's never truly gone full r****d (like Garrosh) and his reasons for being pissed off all the time are reasonable.

But yeah, Baine is essentially the Horde's version of Anduin, but I can stomach that since Baine isn't the Warchief, nor will he ever be, whereas the Alliance's supreme leader is a Nancy boy with an identity crisis who keeps getting his head stuck in rabbit holes and can't get anything done himself. At Anduin's age, Varian was already a better king.

Likewise, Baina is like a husk of what Cairne was. Cairne was not a warmonger, but he was also an honorable and heroic figure that didn't take crap from either side of the spectrum. Baine and Sylvanas are what's wrong with the Horde as much as Anduin is what's wrong with the alliance. If you want a pacifist done right, look no further than Velen and you want a warmonger done right, look to Genn.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    I was genuinely stunned to find that Blizzard remembered that the Mag'har are basically the Iron Horde and wouldn't give one fuck about this, cheers on them for that, though I'm 90% sure the line will be changed to some milquetoast whining like all the rest before release.

At least they saved Bob by having him point out the logistical issues and the trouble Baine causes for the tauren which he won't allow to happen for the blood elves. After his whining about ruinous paths I was absolutely sure he'd be the next to take a hollow moral stand for Our Treasure.
    I think you're right. The only reason its still there is probably, because Golden or other likeminded writers haven't noticed it yet. The same happened to Jaina's interesting first reaction in regards to the Battle of Dazar'Alor, where she wanted to push their advantage. One PTR later, we have current nonsense line of her.

Baine's problem is that he is Cairne's son, so he had big shoes to fill, and he simply didnt live up to the expectations of him being his father's son.
    Another problem is that he is a leader of a race that looks like strong, independent people who wont let others to bitch them around.

Were he someone else with the same character and story progression, people would just ignore him as a side character. But he's the leader of the Tauren.

It's good he's standing up against Sylvanas, but he's doing it in the most moronic way possible.

Only, dumb poll (couldnt you just leave it at "no"?)