Poll: Do you like Baine as a character?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    Did you know that long ago, in between being a damsel in the distress and being Anduin's bum buddy, Baine actually was a decent tauren?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Dwarven_Digging

Back in Vanilla when dwarves dug in Mulgore and this angered the tauren, Baine didn't send them an apology card, he had them offed and had their pickaxes broken to be mailed to Ironforge to tell them not to mess with the tauren. He also, after failing to talk with the gnolls who were attacking the lands, actually used force instead of giving them water so they could more easily prey on his people.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

If u wanna go back to the Warcraft lore roots, alliance should be "good" faction by law and horde should be "good" faction by morality. Blizzard tried to bring it back with Baine but they failed because Alliance is not drama-driven Got like faction. It seems we have huggers faction with horses and other huggers faction with spikes, wait until they dethrone Sylvanas and Baine can become avatar of friendships and butterflies.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Did you know that long ago, in between being a damsel in the distress and being Anduin's bum buddy, Baine actually was a decent tauren?

Back in Vanilla when dwarves dug in Mulgore and this angered the tauren, Baine didn't send them an apology card, he had them offed and had their pickaxes broken to be mailed to Ironforge to tell them not to mess with the tauren. He also, after failing to talk with the gnolls who were attacking the lands, actually used force instead of giving them water so they could more easily prey on his people.
    Who stole our Baine? I want my Baine back! Alliance!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagoth Ur View Post
    Who stole our Baine? I want my Baine back! Alliance!?!
    He, like Cata!Gates of Taurajo Baine that got cut out is kept in the Underhold cloning vats.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

He, like Cata!Gates of Taurajo Baine that got cut out is kept in the Underhold cloning vats.
    Man, you're getting me excited for venturing into Underhold again. Maybe we'll even find spare Garrosh somewhere in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather

I always said that Blanket Slate Baine was still ten times better than Christie Golden Baine. He was just a younger Cairne growing up to become his own Tauren, then Golden arrived and literally destroyed everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

He's the leader of the biggest playable race, a link between the Alliance and the Horde since Cataclysm/MoP (like his father was), and his people's capital is one of the hardest to siege strategywise.

Yet, he's let the situation between factions go in flames multiple times without doing anything, and has basically been an NPC in most important events, if he even was there to begin with.
    I realize Taurens are supposed to be gentle giants, and care about the Earthmother more than petty mortal comflicts.. But a single hot-blooded moment from his people, or even just him, would have been normal, if not blatantly logic.. I mean, how many times can you pull a bull's tail without getting the horns ?

I sometimes wish Magatha would have succeded in her coup..

Quote Originally Posted by Syrah-the-Old-One View Post
    I realize Taurens are supposed to be gentle giants, and care about the Earthmother more than petty mortal comflicts.. But a single hot-blooded moment from his people, or even just him, would have been normal, if not blatantly logic.. I mean, how many times can you pull a bull's tail without getting the horns ?

I sometimes wish Magatha would have succeded in her coup..
    Thing is, Baine exiled all the cows who wanted to avenge Taurajo, so his people, unlike their leader, aren't that forgiving and fluffy...

And as for his horns, does he even have them anymore? He sent a piece of his horn to Anduin in the latest book, they're best penpals after all, who knows what else he did w/ his horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    I always said that Blanket Slate Baine was still ten times better than Christie Golden Baine. He was just a younger Cairne growing up to become his own Tauren, then Golden arrived and literally destroyed everything.
    That really is the damning thing. What's good about Baine is when he wasn't even Baine. He has too much baggage to be salvaged at this point. Even if he now becomes the guy from the Beta or Vanilla or that AU!Baine who took over the world, he'd still also be the guy who exiled his own people and mailed pieces of himself to a teenager.

@Nymrohd

There's really no explanation there either and the tauren as these peaceniks to the point of masochism are really just a consequence of Baine's portrayal. Up to Cataclysm they simply weren't like that. "Death to the enemies of the Horde" and so on.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2019-04-15 at 10:54 AM.

He is a likeable dude. The cinematic when he delivers Derek to Jaina made me like him a bit more.

What a burger he could be.

And yeah, remember Taurajo guys.

If the rumoured relationship between Mayla and Baine is real, then it's safe to say who's the bull in it. Mayla has more balls than Baine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Why are tauren supposed to be gentle giants? Of all the people in WoW, the Tauren are the ones who have gained a better life explicitly through violence. For almost every other race, violence has made their lives worse but if not for war with the centaur the tauren would still be hapless nomads. And we have seen MANY warlike Tauren in lore.
    Yeah, but this is sadly the WoW characterization here.
    All the events you referenced happened in Warcraft 3 and before.. Since their integration to the Horde, they were "downgraded" to be simply gentle giants, and that's one of the saddest things in the lore IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    Thing is, Baine exiled all the cows who wanted to avenge Taurajo, so his people, unlike their leader, aren't that forgiving and fluffy...

And as for his horns, does he even have them anymore? He sent a piece of his horn to Anduin in the latest book, they're best penpals after all, who knows what else he did w/ his horns.
    I won't go there, I won't go there, I won't go there, I won't go there, I won't go there, I BET HE'S HORNY FOR ANDUIN, I won't go there, I won't go there, ....

Damn it !

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Because the way Golden writes things is that it's Alliance all the way. Even Horde members have to be Alliance fans. Ffs, Baine is such a massive Alliance lapdog, I surprised that Anduin doesn't have him on a leash next to the throne.

See I will disagree with you.

The Lore and the World building in WoW do not depict the Tauren as peaceful. The Narrative and the Story do. There is a divide between lore and narrative. Usually you build a base of lore to guide the narrative and then you use the narrative to build the lore further. The incompetence team at Blizz had a broad base of lore but it did not fit the narrative they want to sell so they just ignored it. And their effort is so haphazard that there are still people who are working contrary to the narrative they try to present ALL THE TIME.
    I don't see how this is disagreeing with me.. Or, rather, I agree with you but maybe failed to make my point clear

I mean you said that this is their characterization. And I am saying that their characterization is not consistent. Most of it does not show them as peaceful; only Baine's character, mostly in novels, is peaceful as well as a few characters.
    Oh, I get it ! Yeah, it's their "public faces" that are shown as gentle giants, basically.

Nope, literally there to just ask the obvious morality questions because we can't ask them ourselves apparently. Lifts his values up so high and don't care if the people he's supposed to care about gets hurt in the process because he's a good guy. He's the embodiment of stupid naivety that brings more problems than they solve while it's get showed in our face how he's good and we should like him anyway. I see no real purpose for him in the story except bringing over Derek to Jaina who is a sleeper agent, he's good though and we should like him *shrug*.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember that tauren are very peaceful creatures until the moment they have to be brutal. They joined the horde after they were helped by the orcs. Baine is just the tauren represented in character form.

I would like to see him actually do something. Right now, while I feel like I could like him, I don't because we've literally never seen him take any real action ingame. He just sort of mills about and talks a lot.

I think the big issue with him is that many people have noticed that while he opposes Sylvanas fiercely, he has no real plans of his own. Sylvanas wants the Horde to own Kalimdor and live in peace, at least that's the message she's giving to the Horde, so why is Baine opposing her? What is his alternative? The Alliance is out for blood and his only goal is to try to play nice and do nothing to solve the problem at hand that lead to the deaths of Rastakhan and countless Horde, including his fellow tauren.

If this story was written a little better, this may be a flaw that could be acknowledged by Baine himself. However we've seen little to no self-awareness within this story at all so it leads to a level of contempt towards the character, being painted as a "noble-hearted" fool who will sabotage his leader while simultaneously having no real end goal.
    Last edited by Irian; 2019-04-15 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicon View Post
    Remember that tauren are very peaceful creatures until the moment they have to be brutal. They joined the horde after they were helped by the orcs. Baine is just the tauren represented in character form.
    Even if we assume that that's how cows are, it still highlights Baine's problem, he's very peaceful and/or apologetic even when he's supposed to be brutal. The Alliance slaughtered an entire village? Oof, better exile everyone who wanted to retaliate and then state that the Alliance had every right to do so :P

He's the only Horde faction leader I like besides Gallywix and Ji Firepaw. He represents the family of honorable outcasts that I signed up for and hasn't been represented since Thrall left at the end of Wrath.