Poll: Do you like Baine as a character?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Horde [Horde Perspective Only] Do you like Baine as a character?

From a Horde perspective he is a traitor and if in the Alliance he did something like this he'd be thrown in jail and all leaders would agree that the punishment was acceptable. Baine is boring and one of the worst characters in game if not worse than Medan and Veressa.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    He's one of the worst characters in the game right now.

An Alliance character that pretends to be Horde, dragging his people down with him.

7+ Year Old Account
    No.

But I get why he's like that. He's supposed to be the young idealistic guy who truly believes that both factions don't have to be at war every 5 minutes. And I get it.

But jesus christ, Baine is completely unrelatable and submissive. No matter how much you like peace, if there's something threatening your people, you ACT. He instead is so focused on pleasing the other faction that he acts against the Horde... And worse, against his own Tauren.

I don't want to be at war every 5 fucking minutes against the Alliance either. Specially not when there's a giant sword sticking out of my planet and it is dying. But no one should MUTILATE THEMSELVES and send the body pieces to the leader of the other faction to say "i'm sorry"
    Only to 10 minutes later participate in a war against said faction, do nothing about your leader starting another war, draggin MORE Tauren into said war, watching how said Tauren are left to die and be risen as mindless undead and still do NOTHING about it.

Baine is so hung up on peace and honor that when he is finally supposed to act. He doesn't.
    He acts like 6 months later but against his OWN FACTION because they were mean to the Alliance.

After he already participated in the war.

I don't hate Baine... But his flaws and constant submission to the Alliance make it a complete worthless character that I wouldn't mind see him join Ji Firepaw in the background of unused characters
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Baine embodies spinelessness and cowardice, combined with traitorous behaviour towards his own people and faction on such a scale, i seriously have a hard time to remember such a character from any other franchise, where such a character was supposed to be liked by the audience. I mean, these kind of characters do exist in other stories, but most of the time the writers don't expect from you to like these characters, to put them on a pedestal or see them as heroes.

Baine is one of those leaders that, if he ever becomes Warchief, it’s the moment the screen needs to go black with a giant “The End” in the middle. He’s the Horde’s Anduin.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhart11 View Post
    Baine embodies spinelessness and cowardice, combined with traitorous behaviour towards his own people and faction on such a scale, i seriously have a hard time to remember such a character from any other franchise, where such a character was supposed to be liked by the audience. I mean, these kind of characters do exist in other stories, but most of the time the writers don't expect from you to like these characters, to put them on a pedestal or see them as heroes.
    The definition of spinelessness and cowardice is NOT standing up for what you believe in and taking action.

That was Baine's issue up until the 8.1.5 war campaign, which wasn't an issue with the character itself but Blizzard's tendency to not focus more than one character at a time. Saurfang was the focus then, now it's Baine.

Dislike him because he's more peaceful, sure.

Calling him a coward and spineless at this point is just false though.

Baine, like his lord and master Anduin, is the sum of everything that's wrong with Blizzard's moralizing. His only saving grace is his irrelevance and constant failure, and sadly those are gone in this expansion as he's set to take us over. A Baine-Anduin Hordalliance axis is the darkest timeline.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    The definition of spinelessness and cowardice is NOT standing up for what you believe in and taking action.

That was Baine's issue up until the 8.1.5 war campaign, which wasn't an issue with the character itself but Blizzard's tendency to not focus more than one character at a time. Saurfang was the focus then, now it's Baine.

Dislike him because he's more peaceful, sure.

Calling him a coward and spineless at this point is just false though.
    Then why didnt he confront the warchief and instead decided for a silent rescue operation?

Also, from the thread title: [Horde Perspective Only], so please.

Flat af and boring af. Never says something, only does nonsensical actions, slowly taking the path of "muh honor/loyalty, that's better doing nothin' than harming people/flowers/celestial beings" all heroes seem to take (even Velen seemed to not give a fck about whatever we did on Argus. slept on the vindicaar all along).

I dislike Sylvanas since 8.0, but honestly Baine is an insufferably painful character right now. Looks like his story was written by 20 different people who don't even know each other. Looks like the Star Wars sequels.

Not gonna vote, because I play both sides, but Baine is a bad joke

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Then why didnt he confront the warchief and instead decided for a silent rescue operation?

Also, from the thread title: [Horde Perspective Only], so please.
    Because if he gets imprisoned he has to watch everything unfold?

Also did you just assume my faction

Because if he gets imprisoned he has to watch everything unfold?

Also did you just assume my faction
    Well good job on him, he got imprissoned anyway and possibly helped Sylvanas get Derek to the right spot.

And I didnt assume, I know.

Well good job on him, he got imprissoned anyway and possibly helped Sylvanas get Derek to the right spot.

And I didnt assume, I know.
    And?
    And apparently not

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    No.

But I get why he's like that. He's supposed to be the young idealistic guy who truly believes that both factions don't have to be at war every 5 minutes. And I get it.

But jesus christ, Baine is completely unrelatable and submissive. No matter how much you like peace, if there's something threatening your people, you ACT. He instead is so focused on pleasing the other faction that he acts against the Horde... And worse, against his own Tauren.

I don't want to be at war every 5 fucking minutes against the Alliance either. Specially not when there's a giant sword sticking out of my planet and it is dying. But no one should MUTILATE THEMSELVES and send the body pieces to the leader of the other faction to say "i'm sorry"
    Only to 10 minutes later participate in a war against said faction, do nothing about your leader starting another war, draggin MORE Tauren into said war, watching how said Tauren are left to die and be risen as mindless undead and still do NOTHING about it.

Baine is so hung up on peace and honor that when he is finally supposed to act. He doesn't.
    He acts like 6 months later but against his OWN FACTION because they were mean to the Alliance.

After he already participated in the war.

I don't hate Baine... But his flaws and constant submission to the Alliance make it a complete worthless character that I wouldn't mind see him join Ji Firepaw in the background of unused characters
    100% agree, except I do hate Baine.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

What do you mean by "and?".

Also, you must regret that decision for a long time, since you want to Horde to turn into Alliance lite.

What do you mean by "and?".

Also, you must regret that decision for a long time, since you want to Horde to turn into Alliance lite.
    And what's your point I mean?

Your criticism is "his plan failed".
    That doesn't change that it was a logical decision and not one based off of "I don't want the big scary Sylvanas to find out because she's scaryyyy."

And no, I'd just rather people learn to use the term "coward" correctly.

And what's your point I mean?

Your criticism is "his plan failed".
    That doesn't change that it was a logical decision and not one based off of "I don't want the big scary Sylvanas to find out because she's scaryyyy."

And no, I'd just rather people learn to use the term "coward" correctly.
    Logical decision would be to try and get support before open hostilities. Or at least try to talk, something Sylvanas is open to as she doesnt perform terrorist attacks against taverns.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda understand what they trying to do with the character
    Young idealistic guy who trying to do the sane thing when the planet you live on is dying and your stuck following an undead corpse that’ll kill you and use your corpse as a puppet without any shred of remorse.
    Blizzard just cant make it work without him coming off as a wimpy character

They tried to make Baine Thrall and it failed because he has not been through what Thrall has been through, he has not had to go through any real trials or tribulations.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal