Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    The Patient Rurin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and necro this since mobile layout has been re-enabled.

    What uh... Exactly changed since last time? It looks as clunky as the last time it was rolled out.
    Works fine for me on Firefox for Android

  2. #62
    Indeed, just on the front page, scrolling past header, a small ad, recent blue posts, recent forum activity, and finally a large ad to get to the news posts is quite unwieldy.
    Other pages look way too spaced out, too.

  3. #63
    Oh no it is back D:

    WWWHHHYYYYYYYY???

  4. #64
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    11,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Oh no it is back D:

    WWWHHHYYYYYYYY???
    Because just scaling down the desktop variant is really bad for small screens. Not that the mobile layout is perfect, but it's better

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Because just scaling down the desktop variant is really bad for small screens. Not that the mobile layout is perfect, but it's better
    My only issue with the normal site on mobile were the damn ads that suddenly throw stuff around when they liad 15 srconds aftrr the rest of the site.

    This mobile crap feels worse in every way.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Because just scaling down the desktop variant is really bad for small screens. Not that the mobile layout is perfect, but it's better
    Personally I prefer desktop over this iteration of mobile. And desktop is absolutely awful on mobile, but the mobile layout is just that much worse. Keeping it turned off for now.

    Major problems:

    The MMO header is nearly half a page. This should be condensed to a single small MMO-C logo in the corner, and maybe those icons in a row next to it if we really must have them (I don't think we do).

    The forum line with Home, Private Messages, etc is 2 lines. This should be one line. Mobile doesn't really need Home or Forum when you're on the forum. Probably not Forum Actions, either.

    Users with avatars waste a lot of vertical space.

    "Reply / Reply With Quote / Report Post" breaks into two lines.

    In fact, almost everything that breaks into multiple lines also has huge padding around each line, so it's taking up twice as much space as it should.
    Last edited by Grapemask; 2019-07-15 at 11:50 AM.

  7. #67
    The Insane Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    18,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Personally I prefer desktop over this iteration of mobile. And desktop is absolutely awful on mobile, but the mobile layout is just that much worse. Keeping it turned off for now.

    Major problems:

    The MMO header is nearly half a page. This should be condensed to a single small MMO-C logo in the corner, and maybe those icons in a row next to it if we really must have them (I don't think we do).

    The forum line with Home, Private Messages, etc is 2 lines. This should be one line. Mobile doesn't really need Home or Forum when you're on the forum. Probably not Forum Actions, either.

    Users with avatars waste a lot of vertical space.

    "Reply / Reply With Quote / Report Post" breaks into two lines.

    In fact, almost everything that breaks into multiple lines also has huge padding around each line, so it's taking up twice as much space as it should.
    If you go back to page 2, I had mocked up all of your points.

    They basically changed nothing since their last iteration, which is a shame. There's a glut of mobile forums to take inspiration from from.

  8. #68
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    11,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Personally I prefer desktop over this iteration of mobile. And desktop is absolutely awful on mobile, but the mobile layout is just that much worse. Keeping it turned off for now.

    Major problems:

    The MMO header is nearly half a page. This should be condensed to a single small MMO-C logo in the corner, and maybe those icons in a row next to it if we really must have them (I don't think we do).
    You never really see it though when you're reading threads, since it doesn't scroll down with your view, so I don't think it's worth the time to fix it for now (Keep in mind there's only 1 person working on the site)

    The forum line with Home, Private Messages, etc is 2 lines. This should be one line. Mobile doesn't really need Home or Forum when you're on the forum. Probably not Forum Actions, either.
    A button to go back to the front page is nice, but agreed on the others. Possibly merge the home and forum ones, and swap them based on if you're on the front page or the forums

    Users with avatars waste a lot of vertical space.
    What solution do you have? Not show them? Then why offer the option? Show it to the side like on desktop? Then you're wasting valuable horizontal space, which is more at a premium than vertical space.
    Not saying you need to have a solution for all problems, but this is one of those necessary evils where I don't really see any better alternatives myself. In fact I'd rather like to see the join date, post count, and banners too

    "Reply / Reply With Quote / Report Post" breaks into two lines.
    Agreed, this should be fixed. At least it looks fine in landscape rather than portrait (which, to be honest, is just the desktop variant scaled slightly)

    In fact, almost everything that breaks into multiple lines also has huge padding around each line, so it's taking up twice as much space as it should.
    Well better that than have them mushed together and be harder to hit the one you want.

  9. #69
    Love the new layout on mobile.

    Good work!

  10. #70
    Dunno, I like it. Always had to zoom in. But I got no ads enabled so I don't have anything in the way.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Dunno, I like it. Always had to zoom in.
    Browser (Chrome) auto-adjusted the text size for me most of the time.
    Reading was not the issue, I mostly zoomed in to tap the blue dots for new posts - which I still have to do now. And it still seems to reset zoom occasionally in the first ~10sec after loading (probably ad scripting, as other suggested)

  12. #72
    Protip: Firefox for Android allows add-ons to take care of ads. (I'm sure the same is true for iPhone, but I've never checked.)

    This mobile format could still use some work though. Just some more squishing vertically, it's on the right track though.

  13. #73
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    11,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Browser (Chrome) auto-adjusted the text size for me most of the time.
    Reading was not the issue, I mostly zoomed in to tap the blue dots for new posts - which I still have to do now. And it still seems to reset zoom occasionally in the first ~10sec after loading (probably ad scripting, as other suggested)
    I brought up the issue with Chaud when the feature was first rolled out to premium members and he said he'd get around to it. He hasn't yet but I'm optimistic..

  14. #74
    I appreciate the effort, constantly adjusting the www version on mobile due to ads loading has been annoying me for years.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Paetolus View Post
    Protip: Firefox for Android allows add-ons to take care of ads.
    I repeatedly tried FF on Android, but I just don't like its behavior, missing so many little things I'm used to from Chrome. Not huge features, just the general look&feel.
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2019-07-15 at 04:37 PM.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    The site finally seems to have it, a website layout for mobile devices. After all these years..
    They need to change it back. Or give an option to. The mobile layout is ass. I hate it.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and necro this since mobile layout has been re-enabled.

    What uh... Exactly changed since last time? It looks as clunky as the last time it was rolled out.
    Reclick your option in settings to turn desktop back on if you want. You might have to alter some pop up settings too.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

  18. #78
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    13,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Reclick your option in settings to turn desktop back on if you want. You might have to alter some pop up settings too.
    How exactly do you do this? I can’t seem to find the setting and posting on the mobile layout is a pain.

  19. #79
    The Insane Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    18,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Reclick your option in settings to turn desktop back on if you want. You might have to alter some pop up settings too.
    I'm actually working on permissions to set MMO-C as the only Desktop website, since other forums have an actual working mobile layout that is agreeable to the eye lol.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    How exactly do you do this? I can’t seem to find the setting and posting on the mobile layout is a pain.
    Settings on your browser > Request Desktop version.

    Warning though, it'll do it for every website. See above, will share results.

  20. #80
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    11,576
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    They need to change it back. Or give an option to. The mobile layout is ass. I hate it.
    Browse in landscape.

    The original design is even more ass than the mobile one for portrait mode

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •