Horde Dh or rogue? What’s the current state?

Hi, I came back to WoW after an year and half about a month ago. I currently play my demon hunter in PvP. It’s my main character and the only 120 I had until now. I feel like DH is actually very OP in PvP. I’m not really afraid to attack 2 players defending a base in AB on my own, because I feel like there’s quite a high chance that I can kill both of them.

The problem is that I really miss playing my rogue who’s been my main character for about 10 years. I levelled him to 120, have 365ilvl on him for now, but I’m still not sure about him. I feel like rogues are very squishy. I play on the horde side, the common opener for assassination rogues includes MoD+Kidney, but it gets trinketed by the human racial in 60% of cases, the rest goes to the medallion so one of the main rogue’s abilities gets removed most of the time. As a DH, I have chaos nova, the other stun from talents + imprison with about 45s CD compared to 2min Blind.

What’s your experience? Do you think that if I manage to get better pieces of gear to my rogue, the dmg will be so high that it can kill pretty much everyone like I’m able to do with my DH? I just don’t want to invest my time into gearing up the rogue and then finding out that it sucks compared to DH. I’m speaking mainly about Rated BGs, Random BGs and World PvP. I already know that rogue+healer is one of the strongest combos in 2s. In BGs, I sometimes feel like rogue die so quickly that they don't even manage to press the CoS or Evasion...

Thanks
    Last edited by Trefort90; 2019-02-01 at 06:00 PM.

You have to try it yourself. They have totally different type of gameplay.

DH are more OP in normal BGs. but I think that Rogs skill cap is higher and are less forgiving but more fun and have greated potential in PvP.

The main problem I have with rogues is when I fight let's say for a base 1v1, then I get to opponent down to about 20%, he actives def CDs, tries to survive and someone comes. They send few off heals to my target and kill me together. The main target survives with 5% of HP. I feel like whenever something interrupts your opener, stuns or rotation, everything goes wrong after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefort90 View Post
    Hi, I came back to WoW after an year and half about a month ago. I currently play my demon hunter in PvP. It’s my main character and the only 120 I had until now. I feel like DH is actually very OP in PvP. I’m not really afraid to attack 2 players defending a base in AB on my own, because I feel like there’s quite a high chance that I can kill both of them.

The problem is that I really miss playing my rogue who’s been my main character for about 10 years. I levelled him to 120, have 365ilvl on him for now, but I’m still not sure about him. I feel like rogues are very squishy. I play on the horde side, the common opener for assassination rogues includes MoD+Kidney, but it gets trinketed by the human racial in 60% of cases, the rest goes to the medallion so one of the main rogue’s abilities gets removed most of the time. As a DH, I have chaos nova, the other stun from talents + imprison with about 45s CD compared to 2min Blind.

What’s your experience? Do you think that if I manage to get better pieces of gear to my rogue, the dmg will be so high that it can kill pretty much everyone like I’m able to do with my DH? I just don’t want to invest my time into gearing up the rogue and then finding out that it sucks compared to DH. I’m speaking mainly about Rated BGs, Random BGs and World PvP. I already know that rogue+healer is one of the strongest combos in 2s. In BGs, I sometimes feel like rogue die so quickly that they don't even manage to press the CoS or Evasion...

Thanks
    tbh, dh is very op against certain classes, like warriors.

Against classes with tons of cc, i would not claim this class to be op, however.

I would say go for a fun game play whatever you enjoy more, I'm main shaman since burning crusade trying to find another main but I keep failing on that... Even I really feel bored about the shaman game play

Quote Originally Posted by Trefort90 View Post

Thanks
    DH hands down .. It's a Hero class and beyond simple to pick!

Both are Phenomenal at the moment, Dh and Rogue both have great St and AOE Dmg, huge amounts of utility and ways of ignoring mechanics. It will be completely down to you as to which playstyle you prefer, rogue is defo the more complex but rewarding once mastered. but i do love my dh as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetzu View Post
    Both are Phenomenal at the moment, Dh and Rogue both have great St and AOE Dmg, huge amounts of utility and ways of ignoring mechanics. It will be completely down to you as to which playstyle you prefer, rogue is defo the more complex but rewarding once mastered. but i do love my dh as well.
    I play both, too.

For ST i would suggest only rogue and here assassin, especially after the huge, flat pvp dmg trait nerfs. Its too easy to shut down a DH, with only cc. Seems, DH is the class in the game were CC is most effective. It shuts down not only his ability to do dmg and burst, but also all his selfheals. To counter that you have to use the DH in places were CC is less significant, in warmode against classes that lack them or in bgs/low end rbgs. Once chain cc is focused on a dh its all over.

Overrated, because of some people still not familiar with his mechanics and weaknesses, if i know shit about a class it will always feel too strong.

But in fact, dh is much, much stronger in pve than pvp. Probably the best mythic+ dd with the option to tank, the best cleave spec i know with aoe stuns and the ability to heal really quickly(lack of cc of those pve mobs and high heals through soul fragments)

The problem just is, he can't do that effectively in pvp. He needs uptime for leech heal and once there are kills in arenas the game is over anyways, while a rogue can just avoid most problems by cc and stealth.

While cced, like a long stun you cannot use any def cds other than insignia and you will die quickly without insane support against any potent burst, while cced. That DHs perform any well on their own outside of arenas, like warmode, depends on the players class and his knowledge(or lack of).

The only real advantage i see in pvp with a DH, is that you can play hero cleave together with an unholy dk, who performs pretty well at the moment.

However, DHs are a pretty cool class to play overall, got a nice class hall too, that kinda is obsolete now in Bfa, but why no mention it...since there are boring class halls, too.

But, in this thread rogue is the clear winner.(until blizzard decides to nerf rogue to the ground ofc, or give DHs more setup options in arenas, or more tools against cc chains)

to make it more clear for the op, just ignore the random bgs for a moment, because they are not worth it at all in BfA, they take too long and only give trash rewards. There is no honor currency that allows you to buy gladiator epics like in past expansions.

You get some fish or obsolete blues and waste a lot of time and when it comes to some solo fun, warmode is the way to go.

Think about beeing forced to play the tank in all those Ctf rbgs, if you are the DH. If that is for you.

Arena only gives you few options, what is bad sign for a class in general.

You cannot compare DHs with rogues at the moment, when it comes to arenas.

Also some friendly adivce...better focus on arenas, even if its just 2s. Because the rest of the pvp spectrum is much less rewarding and way more time consuming.

What works best for my enjoyment no matter the class and i play them both, is the combinaton of arenas and warmode, ignoring bgs for most of the time, i replace that with raids/myhtic+. I like rewards for my time invested like most people and enjoy warmode pvp and some arena matches.

On my shadow priest however(but he is not 120 yet) i would think very differently, since the spec is so much more enjoyable in rbgs/bgs, due to mechanics. But he is not in the topic.