[Suggestion] Hide Threads From Newly Registered Users

Probably not possible, but would be a useful feature for me personally. Maybe like within the last 30 days. Most of the inflammatory threads I've seen on WoW general are from January 2019 users, and many of them already have the banned icon before I've clicked on it. (I'd assume there's a much shorter leash for a newly registered user that shares an IP with another registered account). One downside would be a drop in reporting of threads that need to be reported. NBD if not possible or not desired, just disregard if not.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-02-02 at 04:43 AM.

This forum has absolutely needed this for a while.

It's unbelievable this forum still allows newly created accounts to create new threads in OT. Hell most forums don't even allow OT-style subforums to be seen by new accounts.

The powers that be here have their reasons for the latter. The reasons aren't good ones. But they're their reasons. The latter though? Inexplicable. There is zero reason an account with 2 posts should be creating a new thread. I believe this forum is based on vBulletin if I'm not mistaken? Pretty sure access control like that is built in.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    This forum has absolutely needed this for a while.

It's unbelievable this forum still allows newly created accounts to create new threads in OT. Hell most forums don't even allow OT-style subforums to be seen by new accounts.

The powers that be here have their reasons for the latter. The reasons aren't good ones. But they're their reasons. The latter though? Inexplicable. There is zero reason an account with 2 posts should be creating a new thread. I believe this forum is based on vBulletin if I'm not mistaken? Pretty sure access control like that is built in.
    When you have a thread that has cnn = state media in the title that is still open..... says all you need to know about mods on these forums.

And yes it was reported. If this much shit is slipping by when being reported its time to look at something.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    There is zero reason an account with 2 posts should be creating a new thread.
    There are plenty reasons. They have a question about the game, they want to advertise their guild, they want to complain about something Blizzard is doing that no one else is bringing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    There are plenty reasons. They have a question about the game, they want to advertise their guild, they want to complain about something Blizzard is doing that no one else is bringing up.
    The problem is how extreme it's getting, esp in the OT forums where it's constantly being hit by "new" users making threads, flooding threads, and it takes ages. The mods have largely abandoned the OT boards except for extreme cases and I've had to take up a lot of questions with different blues to get problematic threads and posts deleted that were left up for a week or more.

It was explained to me that they don't have enough mods, mods do other things on the board, and then mod personal lives. But if the issue has gone on for so long, worsens immensely during big news days that can take a week or more to reestabilize the boards from, maybe it's time to look at other options. They've stated they'd prefer the fly swatter approach but it's not working when people have to directly PM blues to get things banned or closed.

Not trying to make this about moderation but it feels bad having to argue with 2 post "new" users who open and derail with bait threads and posts and the fly swatter can take a week to come down. When I have to message a blue to get rid of a pro genocide comment from over a week ago made by a new user that's been reported 1000 times, there's something wrong with the practice or something is wrong with their system when it comes to forwarding reports to a correct mod. Either way, it needs to be looked at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

There are plenty reasons. They have a question about the game,
    Not exactly sure what pressing question they have to ask on MMOC that they couldn't ask on the official ones without getting a better response.

they want to advertise their guild,
    Give special exception for this subforum then, is this concept so difficult that you have to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

they want to complain about something Blizzard is doing that no one else is bringing up.
    Let's put aside the fact there's a better place to do this(you know, their official forums), if it was that important an issue they can jolly well wait out the probationary period.

Plus, the entire point of the original post is to point out that such inflammatory threads shouldn't exist or be viewable at least, you could do way better than to use "they might have the need to post an inflammatory thread" as an argument.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    But even a new poster could make a valid subject.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Was thinking along the lines of default off and can be toggled on in account options if desired. Sort of forgot to put that in my original post, but that's the angle I was taking, like a filter of sorts. I use all kinds of filters on Reddit with Reddit Enhancement Suite, but yeah, forums are a different ballgame. On that note, I wonder if it's possible to expand on that idea and hide threads that contain X word in the subject title or original post. A tampermonkey script might be able to do that for thread titles, but I'm not versed in that kind of thing, and none of this is a huge deal really.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-02-06 at 08:43 AM.

His point was specific to Gen OT, not WoW. And his point is valid. OT is a discussion forum, not a question forum. There's little reason that a new account would absolutely need to start a discussion of their own. And the majority of "new" accounts start political discussions, which are especially unneeded. If there's an active political controversy, it's guaranteed someone else already started that thread. A "new" poster is likely only going to start a meme/troll/propaganda thread and not something worth discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Could, sure. But wouldn't it be better for them to get acclimated to the forum before they try diving into content creation? How many topics absolutely must be created within a few days of creating an account? At best they might start an engaging discussion. Much more likely they're going to post something more or less equivalent to a facebook post.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a large volume of users who register for the purpose of creating threads in guild recruitment. Blocking them from creating threads because they are new, or allowing other people to block them because they are new, ruins this functionality for them and pushes away a lot of fine accounts.

We do not have the ability to change this functionality on a per-subforum basis without chaud doing custom modifications to the site which take time and effort away from other things. The feedback has been noted and passed on, but chaud does almost everything for this site solo so there are a lot of higher priorities.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |