Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why does Blizzard make trinkets like incandescent sliver?

I really don't get it, like every fight in the raid requires stacking and you make a dps trinket that... doesn't do anything while stacked?

Like yeah, you can play around the trinket, but the vast majority of players literally do not have the awareness to do this, your average player is likely not capable of using this trinket.

This seems to be a trend, they're obsessed with "themed trinkets" from raids and are just producing absolute trash tier trinkets. I don't know a single player that prefers this design style, not one.

Is blizzard ever going to make good raid trinkets again or is this the new norm?
    Last edited by asil; 2019-02-09 at 11:19 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    What is your idea of the perfect raid trinket?
    Assurance of Consequence !!! (Never forget)
    Last edited by Silversorrow; 2019-02-09 at 11:39 PM.

I honestly dont know what to think about trinkets. If its on use, you bind it to cooldown. If its equip proc its no different than stat stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Silversorrow View Post
    Assurance of Consequence !!! (Never forget)
    Rune of Re-Origination!!

OT: The issue with trinket design is that most of the effects do not scale, so they are perceived as "bad". Something cool that does not have an impact on important stats will always fall behind as people get more gear. The few times they made static damage trinkets good, they dominated the entire expansion (consider the Tarnished Sentinel Medallion from Tomb of Sargeras).

However, as a healer, I think the trinket is pretty cool. I agree it is at odds with some fights, but there are others that it can do fairly well on. It's just rare that you'd have a stack group of only healers/casters - unless your raid had no ranged hunters.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2019-02-09 at 11:50 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

These type of trinkets usually only show up in the last tier when balance doesn't matter to them anymore. When they have shown up before the last tier what happens a lot of the times is they don't become replaced by the next tiers trinkets and that seems to be a big deal to Blizzard (I don't really know why this is the case). If more the case now that you can titanforge it to almost the next tiers item level anyways with big luck. At least that is how it seems to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cunning of the Cruel is still my favorite ever raid trinket.

Awesome for trash, bosses and even worked in PVP. Nothing like seeing an AV turtle and 20+ shadow bolts flying from your character.

Say what you want about Dragon Soul but it dropped the greatest ever caster trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    What is your idea of the perfect raid trinket?
    I mean, it doesn't have to be perfect. The sliver is a good trinket if you remove the stacking bullshit. Why is the stacking element even there?

It's not like the trinket is strong enough to need a downside. It's like they're obessed with forcing people to fish titanforges from world quests.

They make a semi-decent caster trinket and then just destroy it by adding an absurdly dumb mechanic that makes it hard/impossible to use on nearly every fight in the instance.
    Last edited by asil; 2019-02-10 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post

Awesome for trash, bosses and even worked in PVP. Nothing like seeing an AV turtle and 20+ shadow bolts flying from your character.

Say what you want about Dragon Soul but it dropped the greatest ever caster trinket.
    it was neat from a pve standpoint, horrible from a pvp balance point, it literally doubled the damage of locks and spriests, and as any caster that was the #1 thing needed for rbgs, could be hero ranking but if you didn't ahve the trinket no one wanted you.

Semi-decent? Isn't it BiS for most caster classes?

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Because it's different.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely HATE on use trinkets.

Gimme random fun procs!
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by asil View Post
    It's not like the trinket is strong enough to need a downside. It's like they're obessed with forcing people to fish titanforges from world quests.
    It's BIS for all casters and healers if you have 100% uptime on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Semi-decent? Isn't it BiS for most caster classes?
    Sort of. If you go purely off charts it assumes 100% uptime of 10 stacks. Plenty of bosses you will have a much lower uptime. Some bosses it'll likely be close to zero uptime, especially later bosses.

It's a trinket for farm raids, when you can count on having enough of them in the raid that you can make a sizable trinket stack. Unless your raid has been supremely lucky, it's unlikely that you'll be able to work enough people into the trinket stack to have a working strat for the last couple of bosses.

I really don't get it, like every fight in the raid requires stacking and you make a dps trinket that... doesn't do anything while stacked?

Like yeah, you can play around the trinket, but the vast majority of players literally do not have the awareness to do this, your average player is likely not capable of using this trinket.

This seems to be a trend, they're obsessed with "themed trinkets" from raids and are just producing absolute trash tier trinkets. I don't know a single player that prefers this design style, not one.

Is blizzard ever going to make good raid trinkets again or is this the new norm?
    To piss off the Raiding community, worse off, the Jaina trinket is a "channeled" ability, WTF is that garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

Aye, that Trinket was Fun and Hell.

Preach!!!!

I mean, it doesn't have to be perfect. The sliver is a good trinket if you remove the stacking bullshit. Why is the stacking element even there?

They make a semi-decent caster trinket and then just destroy it by adding an absurdly dumb mechanic that makes it hard/impossible to use on nearly every fight in the instance.
    Well, I think it is for many players that are asking for gear that changes or effects playstyle, which that trinket certainly does. Not every trinket has to be for every playstyle, as you said it is too difficult for the average player to use. There are other options.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Rune of Re-Origination!!
    Loved that trinket

7+ Year Old Account
    The range on it it very small and standing with someone who already has it won't affect your stacks. If at any point you need to stack, you can be 5 yards away from anyone else and you won't cause problems.

I'm not fond of the design myself. I don't have it yet but i've seen people with it and you're right in saying that the average player won't be able to use it correctly, hell, even raiders in the guild I am in don't seem to be aware that when they move over people, they're just gimping themselves, so instead I adjust myself for them. What is this, Black Mage in FFXIV?

MoP had the best trink designs imo.

Meanwhile in countless other threads people are complaining that Blizzard dumbed down the game too much to cater to the masses...
    I'm not one of those people, but I do like that there is some variety. Ideally, there should be no BiS stat-stick trinkets. I would love if Blizzard makes all trinkets situational so I have to choose the best trinkets for each boss and each dungeon separately.

As a melee DPS, this tier has one of my favourite trinkets in recent history.

Kimbul's Razor Claw.

It's such a simple thing. It always does its full damage, but as long as I'm positioned right it also has the added benefit of providing a bunch of free sustain.

A trinket that FINALLY manages to feel rewarding for positioning correctly, rather than one that feels punishing for stacking.