Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynx View Post
    I like him when you're dead, and he has a line for each class, it adds some flavour.
    And being related to Ryuk definitely helps.
    Fuck you, Bwonsamdi. That armor can't protect me against 40 alliance. No need to mock my pain. T.T

I mean, he's fine, but what's the big deal o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Kieldon View Post
    I mean, he's fine, but what's the big deal o.o
    A lot of death note fans over here
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Yep, nothing at all in common.
    While I do see the similarities, tbf I'm not really bothered. The archetype of the jester god of death is a very interesting one to me, so the more the better, and I find Bwonsamdi to be very well done in that aspect. If I recall correctly, Ryuk just remained silent/said just a few things in the second half of Death Note, and I sometimes forgot he was even there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Whats the matter of this discussion? You like him, or not, thats okay, its all personal taste, its nothing you can really complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnwho View Post
    Oh my... that vid was cringe AF.
    Imagine non-ironically using the words "cringe AF" in 2019.

Look, the guy is based in Baron Samedi, the Death Loa,
    No shit, Sherlock. Or is it Dr. Who?

but I guess when you like an anime, you see your beloved character everywhere.
    Careful dude, you might hurt my weeb feelings with your smugness. If you keep it up, I might have to hug my Asuka body pillow just a little bit harder tonight. :'(

10+ Year Old Account
    In the Void of my sou... Bah, Argentina :D
    Careful dude, you might hurt my weeb feelings with your smugness. If you keep it up, I might have to hug my Asuka body pillow just a little bit harder tonight. :'(
    Aww you do you, buddy

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Not to sound like I'm bragging here but I've genuinely never died in Zandalar. I do play a Paladin though, so the chances of me dying in open world content are pretty small to begin with. I don't have Warmode on either, so I'm probably never going to run into him unless I actually try to kill myself.
    You really should; they are quite funny. Or at least go read them here: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bwonsamdi#Quotes

Though I don't see one targeted to Paladins on that list sadly. So maybe you could go suicide and report back? hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Bwonsamdi is the greatest, i love his accent and funny lines in wow when you die

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleria Windrunner View Post
    What do people see in him? Enter generic shady villain Number #22. Ugh.

The voice actor is very good, but the character himself? Just another malicious spiritual entity. Yawn.
    He isn't a villian or a hero, he is the loa of death, he gives strength when you need it in return for your soul. You need to survive a battle? No problem, Bwonsamdi will make sure but you might lose something else like a eye, a leg during the battle but you'll be alive afterwards, well until you do die then your soul is in his care... Hell should you die in Zandalar he will probably be the one to shuffle off to whatever waiting for you in the afterlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    While I do see the similarities, tbf I'm not really bothered. The archetype of the jester god of death is a very interesting one to me, so the more the better, and I find Bwonsamdi to be very well done in that aspect. If I recall correctly, Ryuk just remained silent/said just a few things in the second half of Death Note, and I sometimes forgot he was even there.
    That's basically the gist of it.

Ryuk is nothing like Bwonsamdi. Ryuk does no "deals" aside from the stupid eye thing, he just floats around and comments on random things. Honestly he could have just been taking out of the book and it would have been nearly the same.

Bwonsamdi is far more involved.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Serious question; Who is Bwonsamdi anyway? He just sort of shows up in Battle for Dazar'alor without any real explanation short of Rastakhan yelling his name. Same with M+ too he's just sort of there because... Reasons?

I'm guessing he's someone you run into a lot as Horde, but as Alliance I've never seen him until this patch and he's already referencing some kind of deal we've supposedly made with him.
    Even before BfA even came along, you mus have heard of Bwomsandi's name. He's the loa of death for the trolls, after all. And even then, you surely must have met him as an Alliance as you quested around Zandalar. You see him in one of your incursion questlines in Nazmir, at his temple, plus you meet him when you die in Zandalar and release. He's there in place of the usual Spirit Healer.

But to know the full story of his relation with Rastakahn, yes, you need to play the Horde campaign.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, nothing at all in common.
    Other than spiky hair? Yeah, nothing in common.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    You really should; they are quite funny. Or at least go read them here: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bwonsamdi#Quotes

Though I don't see one targeted to Paladins on that list sadly. So maybe you could go suicide and report back? hehe
    when you die as a paladin, he will say "Looks like you followed the wrong light, mon"

Bwonsamdi is a great character, humorous and animated. The first time I saw him back in Alpha I couldn't help but think of Ryuk. Although there are differences between them, his personality and the way he moves are similar to the character. He is technically a mix between Baron Samedi with a little of Ryuk thrown in for flavor.
    Last edited by Falynn1; 2019-02-11 at 06:51 PM.

...look, with your special eyes. It's more than just the hair. Their mannerisms are nearly identical. It's close enough to public domain to not be copyright infringement levels of inspiration but it's pretty damned close.
    Ah, yes. Death Note invented scheming villains who offer Faustian bargains.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really dig Bwonsamdi, hope he sticks around for a while. Voice actor also does a great job making him that much more cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    That's basically the gist of it.

Ryuk is nothing like Bwonsamdi. Ryuk does no "deals" aside from the stupid eye thing, he just floats around and comments on random things. Honestly he could have just been taking out of the book and it would have been nearly the same.

Bwonsamdi is far more involved.
    Someone said he's like Ryuk ok! If you don't repeat it a thousand times you won't be one of the cool kids that shit on everything Blizzard.

Ryuk while funny IS pretty useless indeed, he only helps Light with the cameras and thats about it.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Illidan, Arthas or Jaina would probably get this title. I would add in Sylvanas, Thrall and Garrosh if they didn't fuck them over.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    The obvious reference here is Baron Samedi, who is a few hundred years older than a character from some shitty manga.
    Right, people don't know history or culture, sad really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ribbit1 View Post
    Bwonsamdi is the greatest, i love his accent and funny lines in wow when you die
    Right, he has character, he has charm, he has flare. Something alot of characters in World of Warcraft lack.

10+ Year Old Account
    " That blink didnt take you very far, did it?"

Bwomsandi after rezzing me when I died on my mage while questing. Coincidentally I had blinked right before I died.

Cheeky fellow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    WoW lore is deep and original
    No lore is deep and original. Even Will Shakespeare freely poached ideas from folklores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleria Windrunner View Post
    What do people see in him? Enter generic shady villain Number #22. Ugh.

The voice actor is very good, but the character himself? Just another malicious spiritual entity. Yawn.
    How is he a villain though? Because he's the Loa of Death? I mean I know that everyone hates the concept of death so they always portray any deity or leader of the domain to be bad (Hades, Bwonsamdi, Grim Reaper) but that's due to human emotion. Bwonsamdi isn't evil but he isn't good either. He's neutral but he cares about collecting as many souls as he can because he's an employee with someone higher up to answer to. He doesn't like Sylvanas, just like he wouldn't like the Valkyr and Odin or the Light, because they take away spirits that he could claim. When he creates deals it's usually that he helps someone but they must personally help collect a number of souls for Ol' Bwonsamdi. The exception is with King Rastakhan who he wanted to be elevated to the main Loa of the Zandalari so he is guaranteed to have a number of devout followers.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."