Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

America Wants Legal Immigrants

This is a great watch, I agree 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look Prager U video -- this certainly isn't going to be a right wing propaganda piece at all.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Oh look Prager U video -- this certainly isn't going to be a right wing propaganda piece at all.
    Watch it and tell me what you disagree with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    You mean where it starts with either Strict Restrictions or Open Borders?

Can you show me outside of right-wing bullshit where people want open borders?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I may or may not ultimately agree with a lot of the points, but I still hesitate to give Prager U views because of the things they generally post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rather not have my recommended feed be flooded with "Ben Shapiro SKULL FUCKS libtards with LOGIC" type videos tyvm.

PragerU garbage.

The issue with the immigration topic is the right has made people believe it's legal immigration vs open border when in reality, Democrats have been pushing for reform to the immigration system to make it less of the bureacratic nightmare it currently is where legitimate immigrants get lost in the system.

I can't recall anyone saying we need to fully open our border, but asking for more immigration judges to file claims faster, less discrimination against immigrants, pro security in ways that are actually efficient, and punishment of American companies who employ illegal labor. Even when it comes to sanctuary cities, those came about as a way to protect all immigrants from harassment and to force the federal government to deal with the problem if they want it fixed instead of mandating state resources be allocated to a federal project.

The amount of Fox drones that tell me I'm pro open border because I don't support a fucking wall is mind boggling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    PragerU garbage.

The issue with the immigration topic is the right has made people believe it's legal immigration vs open border when in reality, Democrats have been pushing for reform to the immigration system to make it less of the bureacratic nightmare it currently is where legitimate immigrants get lost in the system.

I can't recall anyone saying we need to fully open our border, but asking for more immigration judges to file claims faster, less discrimination against immigrants, pro security in ways that are actually efficient, and punishment of American companies who employ illegal labor. Even when it comes to sanctuary cities, those came about as a way to protect all immigrants from harassment and to force the federal government to deal with the problem if they want it fixed instead of mandating state resources be allocated to a federal project.

The amount of Fox drones that tell me I'm pro open border because I don't support a fucking wall is mind boggling.
    What if immigration was reformed and became a merit based system?

10+ Year Old Account
    "We're often presented with two stark choices; severe restrictions, or open borders".

Fuck off, you dishonest sack of shit video author. Right there, in your opener, you've introduced an outright fucking lie, because you can't argue against the actual truth.

The only people who think it's about "severe restrictions vs open borders" are far-right ideologues who've never made any appreciable effort to actually look into the issue in any detail whatsoever, and are blindly parroting stupid and misleading propaganda.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, this solves nothing. Everyone agrees that immigration needs to let in "good" immigrants and find ways to block "bad" immigrants. The problem with any merit-based system is that there's no agreement on what counts as "merit" in the first place, which is the root of the entire argument.

Any such suggestion either misses what the debate is actually about, or it's an attempt to curry false favor for their "side" by pretending they're the ones concerned with "merit" and the other guys aren't.

The merit based system would have to make sure fairness and non bias was applied in every decision, along with a relative scale. A problem I've seen with the merit system suggested is the scale is often based on measurements less attainable by people from Latin American countries and instead focused on metrics based around European and predominantly Scandinavian countries + Canada that have higher average metrics and "merits" than the majority of Americans themselves.

There's nothing wrong with a relative metric system that could be streamlined, in theory, but I've rarely seen a truly fair merit system advocated for. The merit system ends up being one of those good ideas in practice but is ruined by bias and would likely never work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "We're often presented with two stark choices; severe restrictions, or open borders".

Fuck off, you dishonest sack of shit video author. Right there, in your opener, you've introduced an outright fucking lie, because you can't argue against the actual truth.

The only people who think it's about "severe restrictions vs open borders" are far-right ideologues who've never made any appreciable effort to actually look into the issue in any detail whatsoever, and are blindly parroting stupid and misleading propaganda.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, this solves nothing. Everyone agrees that immigration needs to let in "good" immigrants and find ways to block "bad" immigrants. The problem with any merit-based system is that there's no agreement on what counts as "merit" in the first place, which is the root of the entire argument.

Any such suggestion either misses what the debate is actually about, or it's an attempt to curry false favor for their "side" by pretending they're the ones concerned with "merit" and the other guys aren't.
    the video explains. we should be allowing more higher paid immigrants in that will pay higher taxes and not need to use government aid.

oh gee PraguerU where they hand out degrees in online Strawmanning arguments. which is all that bullshit video is about.

the video explains. we should be allowing more higher paid immigrants in that will pay higher taxes and not need to use government aid.
    Why is he arguing for immigrants to come and take good paying jobs from Americans?

- - - Updated - - -

We can just copy paste Canadas restricted immigrant policies. Wanna bring a relative, be sure you can sustain them for up to 20 years. Proportion of family immigrants is way below that of the US.

OT: Why restrict family immigrant requests and not just expand skill ones. Its not like there has to be a hard cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't care what he's getting at. I care that he opening his video with a lie, intended to deceive and mislead his audience.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    PragerU garbage.

I can't recall anyone saying we need to fully open our border, but asking for more immigration judges to file claims faster, less discrimination against immigrants, pro security in ways that are actually efficient, and punishment of American companies who employ illegal labor.

And that's the problem I have as well. I don't need to watch a video telling me how big a disaster completely open unsecured immigration would be. I already believe that, it's arguing against a stance that I have never held to begin with.

My stance was, is, and probably will be for the near future "We have a limited amount of money available at any given time for things like border security. That money should be spent, first and foremost, on things like improving the courts, clarifying and simplifying the laws, and increases on the amount, training, and tools available for the people we task with securing the border. It is irresponsible to waste money on a marginally effective project when there are more effective things desperately in need of it."

10+ Year Old Account

Fuck off, you dishonest sack of shit video author.
    Exactly. And Trump tweeted this very same thing multiple times this weekend alone.

Even if you were only focusing on the Democrats negotiating in good faith right now, they're offering border security increases in the billions. They are not saying "open borders", they never have, and I don't think they ever will. Neither is anyone on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post

Yes, the Democratic Party is essentially for open borders. How many of its candidates for President have called for abolishing ICE? Didn’t your party change its platform to no longer require citizen applicants speak English.
    none of that translates to totally open and unwatched borders. it really is amazing you have this knack at engaging in the exact same behavior you love to criticize others for multiple times in your own posts. it's why no one here bothers to take you seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemente Feliz View Post
    We can just copy paste Canadas restricted immigrant policies. Wanna bring a relative, be sure you can sustain them for up to 20 years. Proportion of family immigrants is way below that of the US.

OT: Why restrict family immigrant requests and not just expand skill ones. Its not like there is a hard cap.
    Canada's system isn't as restrictive as you're saying; it's less difficult to become a legal immigrant to Canada than the USA.

If you want to immigrate to Canada as an individual/family, you'll be expected to show you can support yourself/your family. If you're already here and want to bring family members over, there's a path for that, just on their relationship status. But this is only one path.

There's also programs for temporary workers to shift into permanent residency.

If you're in need, there's also the refugee and asylum programs, for those who don't have a job waiting or skills that are in demand.

Now, if you're going to point out that Canada doesn't really approve applicants who A> don't have family in Canada, B> don't have any work lined up in Canada, C> don't have work skills in demand in Canada, and D> don't have any hardship or danger they need to escape from, I'm gonna say "well, yeah", and ask you what your problem is with that. Our system is pretty open, if you can support yourself. And basically nobody is arguing for open borders, where anyone can come in, regardless. That's the point; the "open borders" bullshit is a straw man used to mislead people and make them think only right-wingers care about immigration standards. That's a lie.