Resto vs. MW Playstyle

Hi guys,

Currently playing MW but very tempted to make a Resto shaman. Has anyone here played both specs and can compare / contrast the two playstyles in raiding / M+?

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Post constructively or don't post at all.

I unfortunately have not played a Mistweaver since Mists so my experience is outdated. One of my friends who plays loves his Mistweaver though, they have great single target heals and their mobility is very good, if not better than a Druid than at least tied with. I think their biggest weakness is just burst healing the group back up. Revival is great but it's their only big group heal.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarocket View Post

I unfortunately have not played a Mistweaver since Mists so my experience is outdated. One of my friends who plays loves his Mistweaver though, they have great single target heals and their mobility is very good, if not better than a Druid than at least tied with. I think their biggest weakness is just burst healing the group back up. Revival is great but it's their only big group heal.
    Your friend didn't mention anything about essence font spam destroying meter with less effort than any other healer? I think it's pretty important to mention the one skill the defines this class' entire success.

Basically it's a channel that is smart healing absolutely everything (no target limitation like other much weaker aoe heals) AND leaves a hots that keeps rolling AND it's good numbers AND you can do it while moving AND the cooldown is microscopic.

In other words, it needs a nerf and other things could get buffed up to force the class to be played by the player instead of automatism. MW feels like a hero out of OW, it plays itself. I enjoy my shaman a lot more, maybe that's just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshouttajail View Post
    Your friend didn't mention anything about essence font spam destroying meter with less effort than any other healer? I think it's pretty important to mention the one skill the defines this class' entire success.

Basically it's a channel that is smart healing absolutely everything (no target limitation like other much weaker aoe heals) AND leaves a hots that keeps rolling AND it's good numbers AND you can do it while moving AND the cooldown is microscopic.

In other words, it needs a nerf and other things could get buffed up to force the class to be played by the player instead of automatism. MW feels like a hero out of OW, it plays itself. I enjoy my shaman a lot more, maybe that's just me.
    In fairness I never asked him in depth details. I was more interested in high level stuff. *shrug*

He probably just tied it into his mobility since he does it on the move. As a Shaman I was jealous of anything he could do on the move since that's usually just Spiritwalkers Grace, a totem, or Riptide when I'm healing on the move.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

In fairness I never asked him in depth details. I was more interested in high level stuff. *shrug*

He probably just tied it into his mobility since he does it on the move. As a Shaman I was jealous of anything he could do on the move since that's usually just Spiritwalkers Grace, a totem, or Riptide when I'm healing on the move.
    Shaman certainly don't have it as easy specially on the move but the challenge is part of its charm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshouttajail View Post
    Shaman certainly don't have it as easy specially on the move but the challenge is part of its charm.
    Absolutely. I'll never grow tired of my Shaman heals.

Even if they get to dodge roll.

I played Resto Shaman starting in Cataclysm through the end Legion.

Relative to what they have been; resto shaman isn't in a good place. That's just my free opinion. That being said, they are still decent raid healers (when everyone is stacked) and their raid utility is always invaluable.

I swapped to Mistweaver in BfA; they're just king right now. They can do excellent tank healing; and impressive raid healing. It all depend on what talents you take and what secondaries you stack (you can't be awesome at both without destroying your mana).

Their healing style is the same in the sense they are reactive healers. Resto is not as mana-hungry as MW. If you choose to go the Cloudburst Totem talent you can add a level of "pre-healing" that can push some impressive HPS.

Actually, that is constructive advice. MW monks are completely broken (in an OP way) for PvE healing. Aside from the mobility and flexibility, they represent a complete reversal of the healing meta change that Blizzard made a few expansions ago to eliminate smart healing. Just about every one of their heals will find the best target without any thought or preparation. Remember the old meme video where an Arcane mage keybound everything on the keyboard to arcane blast, rolled his face on in, and was doing competitive DPS? That's MW, with 1/2 the keys being essense font, and the other half some other instant cast heal. Then just jump around and faceroll the keyboard.