Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Teir Sets: Are they bad though?

So, this question has been bothering me lately. What is so wrong with using your full teir set?

I understand that many of the teir sets aren't optimized for all specs, but for some, they aren't that bad at all but most people don't use them due to it not being BIS.

For me, the factors are not just gear optimization but flavor and the RP factor. The teir sets not only signify a status that you have done the content, but having the full set shows your dedication to the content because you have to do so many runs and roll against so many other people of your class.

I'm a mage and tbh, the teir sets aren't that bad in any of the 3 teirs. Besides Robes of the Archmage, I wouldn't mind sporting the full set in each teir when I get them(currently 2 piece teir 1).

What does everyone else think about the teir sets? and am I missing a different level of understanding about the teir sets? Also, I haven't really done the math, but are the teir bonuses really worth it?

For priests at least 5-6 pieces are pretty good for healing. The weakest set is the chest by far since you'd lose 40+ healing switching to it from Baron's robes but pick up some stats along the way so that's probably not a horrific tradeoff if your +healing overall is really high. I'll probably run 6 pieces or so when I get them; I'm not sure how a couple of the DM pieces compare so I'll have to check that when the time comes. I haven't had much luck getting the healing/mp5 gear from DM to date though, so...

Can't speak for the other sets as my next highest toon is my 44 rogue and I haven't looked at those sets that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

Pure PvE based opinion for resto druids, it is not worth it.

Other items have way more +healing. Even some greenies have better stats than the tier pieces.

I would propably run 5-set with the tier pants to get 3% crit among some crit trinkets etc other gear, were I running regrowth spec.
    Said spec values crit higher than +healing and consumes a ton of mana so having a bit higher manapool is nice.

But if your main healing way is with Healing touch, the tier pieces arent worth it, better run blues from instances / ah greenies.

---

Purely for resto and balance focused PvP, they are quite good.

Druid pvp comes down often to outlasting your opponent instead of bursting them down.(it gets a tad more complex but basic idea is that). Which then requires bigger mana- and healthpool than the opponent, one way or another. So if you want to pvp at all you will want to get the tier asap, assuming you're not playing full feral.

10+ Year Old Account
    Farm your tier sets to look cool afking in IF/Org

If you're progressing raids tho slap on your optimal clown suit

Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    So, this question has been bothering me lately. What is so wrong with using your full teir set?

I understand that many of the teir sets aren't optimized for all specs, but for some, they aren't that bad at all but most people don't use them due to it not being BIS.

For me, the factors are not just gear optimization but flavor and the RP factor. The teir sets not only signify a status that you have done the content, but having the full set shows your dedication to the content because you have to do so many runs and roll against so many other people of your class.

I'm a mage and tbh, the teir sets aren't that bad in any of the 3 teirs. Besides Robes of the Archmage, I wouldn't mind sporting the full set in each teir when I get them(currently 2 piece teir 1).

What does everyone else think about the teir sets? and am I missing a different level of understanding about the teir sets? Also, I haven't really done the math, but are the teir bonuses really worth it?
    t1 for mage in pve is shit. You'll be using bracers - head - boots.

Head is BiS for the hit, bracers aren't BiS because there's greens with better spell damage but it pays off because of the 3 set tier bonus. Boots are considered on par with 30 SP green boots but once again you'll get the 3 set tier bonus.

Every other piece gets blown away by blues or pure spell damage greens in pve performance. This is a fact. If you want to role play that's another story.

t1 legs are great but t2 are obviously better
    t1 gloves suck ass vs lbrs gloves
    t1 shoulders suck vs boreal mantle
    t1 belt sucks vs brd +hit belt
    t1 chest obviously sucks vs archmage

In PvP most pieces are great tho.

Look at a BiS list and compare the spell damage you get against full t1 and you'll quickly notice your frostbolt will be hitting for around 100~less.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2019-11-08 at 02:35 PM.

It's really just T1 sets that are bad for some casters/healers, because most preraid gear is better. Druid, Paladin, Priest, Mage, Warlock are examples of this.

Nobody really cares about "muh RP, muh status symbols" when it comes to gear that comes from the easiest raid in the history of the game.

Yea, I guess I was looking for responses beyond the, "well, lots of items have better stats" view. I know performance is big, but I was thinking more on a line of non-performance. I guess this is for the 1% for people that don't care about being the number 1 player on the server.

What Tier set?

Regards, a feral druid..like a real one, not a HotW resto/bear.

More seriously: because we are in 1.13 most blues are itemized better than Tier set. Devilsaur set for exemple is BiS until Naxx for most. The real purpose of tier 1 is pvp as the health / mana pool is way higher than those glasscanon blues.
    Some have good tier 1 though, like rogues for exemple.

But i agree with you. The BiS culture from Classic is really overkill. I would much prefer seeing players using their T1.
    Last edited by Gratlim; 2019-11-08 at 03:17 PM.

Wearing sub optimal items just to look "good"? Seriously?

You have retail if you want to play barbie dress-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post

Actually, I haven't played retail for some time. Please don't lump me into that category. And I don't mean just the "look good" aspect but also because that is what the developers expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post

There is nothing wrong with that.

Its just that there is no bwl or zg to have gear to ultimately replace it with yet. once the game has more of its raid content you end up with a much wider array of mix and match options, but ultimately you are limited to what actually drops. which you have no control over beyond running it over and over until the item you want does drop. in the interim though, you might as well get what you can. I think most of the tier sets are aimed at progression not necessarily farming but there is a wide swing between utility and an actual dps increase or healing increase.

i'm honestly not sure what is better for a mage, 15% threat reduction to me doesn't sound like much but a mage generating less threat should theoretically be able to dps more before they need to stop. conversely if you stack +damage and generate more threat, you're doing more damage per hit. it seems kinda samey to me.

the other issue is that sets are what tends to drop the most of, every boss drops set but not every boss is gunna drop the bis off set epic alternate piece. trying to farm the 1 other epic item that drops in molten core is a pain in the ass because its never that one that you want.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-11-08 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    But i agree with you. The BiS culture from Classic is really overkill. I would much prefer seeing players using their T1.
    Yeah, how dare people try to perform their best by wearing better-itemized gear. Everyone should equip their crappy T1 so we can play barbie dressup in molten core

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, I guess I was looking for responses beyond the, "well, lots of items have better stats" view. I know performance is big, but I was thinking more on a line of non-performance. I guess this is for the 1% for people that don't care about being the number 1 player on the server.
    You don't have to "want to be number 1 on the server" to want to perform your best.

But if you enjoy playing dress-up more than actually playing the game and feel like being dead last on meters in order to "look good", more power to you and whatever casual guild ends up stuck with you.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yeah, how dare people try to perform their best by wearing better-itemized gear. Everyone should equip their crappy T1 so we can play barbie dressup in molten core

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to "want to be number 1 on the server" to want to perform your best.

But if you enjoy playing dress-up more than actually playing the game and feel like being dead last on meters in order to "look good", more power to you and whatever casual guild ends up stuck with you.
    Wow, you really are the epitome of a toxic person. Just because they don't agree with you, you flame them and disrespect them. I'm sorry but you really are a low class of a human being.

10+ Year Old Account
    You answered your own question here. For you, it's not about BiS for others it is.

For paladins, the tier sets are strictly 'meh'. We take them because there's no competition for them, not because they're best in slot. They're alright, but there's better for each slot, and the bonuses aren't really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

People like you sure make these threads a pleasant, friendly place. I’ll bet you’re wonderful to be around in game too.

Wow, you really are the epitome of a toxic person. Just because they don't agree with you, you flame them and disrespect them. I'm sorry but you really are a low class of a human being.
    The tier sets are not better for like 5/8 classes, mages as he mentioned for example. You wear the 3pc, rest sucks, even the - threat. As a mage in bis pre raid + good raid pieces I only pull agro on core packs when I go to hard with AP and sappers, and even then on one mob sometimes. Mages shouldn't be able to out agro tanks in raids unless it's the first 2 seconds or your tanks threat sucks.

And imo, the person choosing pretty dress over optimal play is in the wrong. So to awnser OP's question, what is so wrong? Slowing down your raid is wrong. Better to be used to clearing it faster before you have 5 40 mans and 2 20 mans to worry about ( I know you will stop doing some)
    Last edited by Oozlz; 2019-11-08 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghays View Post
    People like you sure make these threads a pleasant, friendly place. I’ll bet you’re wonderful to be around in game too.
    "you are toxic!!!"
    he says, while posting just to insult me

Wow, you really are the epitome of a toxic person.
    you really are a low class of a human being.
    lol

Beyond T3 most of the 8 set bonuses are not good

The only class I'm really expert is in paladin...And literally none of the tier gear is any good outside PvP and the set bonus for imp seal of light...Which you don't ever really use until much later in the game.