View Poll Results: Do you think Blizzard should aggressively use sharding technology in Classic?

Voters
69. This poll is closed
  • Yes

5 7.25%
  • No

43 62.32%
  • Classic Release Day

20 28.99%
  • Other

1 1.45%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There should be no sharding outside of maybe the starting zones at release.

We also need a server player cap like in vanilla. We dont want private server player numbers on a single realm. We want blizz like realms.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Overall: no.

The most I'd tolerate sharding tech in Classic would be for starter zones the first few days after launch. But no more than that.

Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    Do you think Blizzard should aggressively use sharding technology in Classic?

Here is an example of sharding technology:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/UnusualComfo...trawberryKappa
    https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstemiousRa...DogeBloodTrail

According to Blizzard sharding will be in Classic:
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...548630#post-15

In a nutshell, sharding means that you can not have lets say more than 40 players in the same area and when this happens, other players will disappear on your screen and you and other players will be split into different smaller instances aka shards.

What is the problem? Well, imagine you are questing with people around you, you see them, you interact with them and out of nowhere you are thrown into another shard with completely different players. Do you remember these huge South Shore and Tarren Mill fights or city raids? These will be sharded, means there would many instances of Stormwind, Orgrimmar and so on.

Why shard? Blizzard started using sharding technology aggressively in later expansions to facilitate engine limitations to prevent server crashes especially on major content release dates due to large number of players starting in the same areas.
    1. no i dont thnk they should agressively use sharding.
    2. i am glad they will be using it for the expansion launch and nothing else.

THey have literally said sharding will ONLY BE IN THE STARTING ZONES that will not effect southshore vs terran mill...

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope its used for starting zone for the first few days to make it playable, having to fight 500 other ppl for 1 mob is not "the classic experience"
    Besides, i expect majority of ppl trying out classic will not make it past lvl 10.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This thread and poll again...

I vote no. There are private servers that have WAY more players per realm than Blizzard would allow, and it's fine. If Blizzard can't do it, then they need to re-evaluate their systems and infrastructure teams.

Although, without sharding there would be a log in queue, and I'm fine with that even.
    except those private servers did not do it.
    there is a reason they had wave based launches or their launches were just utter horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    They are going to be using the automated right click report system they use in cuirrenjt WOW. Which people have been seen exploiting a lot lately in current WoW. Mostly in rated BG's and stuff so it may not be a big deal in WoW classic but it's a very flawed system either way.

Basically expect to be banned by Blizzard bot system because a gang of asshats decided to report you for no reason.
    except people have NOT been seen exploiting alot.
    i have yet to see ANY EVIDENCE of it being exploited lots.. people all refer to only 1 case where asmongold got 40 people to report him and he got silenced for a few hours.

also again you cannot be banned by a bot, you literally do not know how the system works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks01 View Post

Where are people seeing this? I dont troll trade 24 hours a day and I have yet to hear of anyone I know getting silenced for any reason in any content.
    dont listen to him, he just does not know how the system works.

for those of you who DONT know how it works, no you cannot be "automaticly banned" that is literally impossible.
    If people report someone for hacking, they get reported for hacking and after awhile get checked, if they were hacking they are banned, plain and simple NO BOTS INCLUDED.

The ONLY ONE that includes bots is the silence feature.
    If someone is spamming and people report him, after about 10-20 reports the person is silenced for a few hours, until a Gm can check out the report. Once a GM deems it worthy they will give them the appropriate silence duration.

or if they were not worthy, they can deem those who abused the report system if they deserve a punishment.

The ONLY automated system is chat silence, you CANNOT get a full team of friends to report someone and get them banned, this was something made up to fearmonger people into hating it.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-02-16 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    According to Blizzard sharding will be in Classic:
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...548630#post-15
    However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.
    They don't say sharding will be in Classic, they only mention that it could be useful to implement.

15+ Year Old Account
    It'll be "fun" to sit in 1st location for a week, so I dont mind.
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Like other people say - I don't mind it in the starting locations in the first weeks. Other than that - NO.

Quote Originally Posted by siskokid21 View Post
    They don't say sharding will be in Classic, they only mention that it could be useful to implement.
    they said it will be in at launch and only launch.
    but who knows we MAY need it for the opening of silithus simply because like... it will be impossible without it...

For example.
    which btw is true...

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely no. I, myself, won't even login into classic until sharding is completely disabled everywhere. And if they won't assure that sharding won't ever be used again, I will consider skipping classic altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Absolutely no. I, myself, won't even login into classic until sharding is completely disabled everywhere. And if they won't assure that sharding won't ever be used again, I will consider skipping classic altogether.
    wow pretty petty.
    guess you arnt much of a vanilla fan if that little will make you quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks01 View Post
    Whats the deal with the report system again?
    The current right click report system has been exploited a number of times to DC and silence players

The difference is that if you get silenced in Classic you're effectively being soft banned from pretty much all content as you're main option for grouping up is via chat and not LFD or LFR
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    The current right click report system has been exploited a number of times to DC and silence players

The difference is that if you get silenced in Classic you're effectively being soft banned from pretty much all content as you're main option for grouping up is via chat and not LFD or LFR
    That is not how it works, can you show me this working?
    it can ONLY silence players, it cannot kick them off the game.
    and again abusing the report system will get you punished.

stop spreading this false info, there is no such thing as automated bans only automated silence.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    That is not how it works, can you show me this working?
    it can ONLY silence players, it cannot kick them off the game.
    and again abusing the report system will get you punished.

stop spreading this false info, there is no such thing as automated bans only automated silence.
    https://twitter.com/notjaydee/status...27882332741632
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    Yeah.

Oh yes this, where the person is kicked for all of 2 seconds while they log back in, and you risk having your account banned for abusing the report system, yep totally good ;3

and again not an automated ban like people have been saying.
    but that dc thing should be fixed it seems odd, i think that may be from an old thing, cause i have seen many silenced without being dced first, might be a rare occurance and not intended.
    have anything more current? cause i remembering hearing awhile back about this but never since, why i was puzzled it all of a sudden came back up.

Oh yes this, where the person is kicked for all of 2 seconds while they log back in, and you risk having your account banned for abusing the report system, yep totally good ;3
    You wanted proof, There's the proof

People do a lot of stupid shit which can and does lead to them being banned from games, The punishment does little to stop them in the end

and again not an automated ban like people have been saying.
    I never said there was an automated ban?
    Yeah.

You wanted proof, There's the proof

People do a lot of stupid shit which can and does lead to them being banned from games, The punishment does little to stop them in the end

I never said there was an automated ban?
    yeah looks like some of these people were banned, accounts inactive since shortly after that vid.
    that or who knows, its hard to tell, but again, doing this gets you in trouble

and the kinda people in vanilla who would do that, would you rather they be free to be a dick in other manners, or do that once then get banned and lose all their progress?
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-02-16 at 10:10 PM.

yeah looks like that guy actually got banned i cant find anything about him.

and the kinda people in vanilla who would do that, would you rather they be free to be a dick in other manners, or do that once then get banned and lose all their progress?
    There were dicks in vanilla too, The closer knit servers ended up in them getting ostracised

I see what you mean but this tool doesn't prevent dicks being dicks while it does give organised dicks another tool to abuse, I'm not saying it should be removed entirely but that the current incarnation of automatically silencing players is definitely not a good thing
    Yeah.

There were dicks in vanilla too, The closer knit servers ended up in them getting ostracised

I see what you mean but this tool doesn't prevent dicks being dicks while it does give organised dicks another tool to abuse, I'm not saying it should be removed entirely but that the current incarnation of automatically silencing players is definitely not a good thing
    So question, is the vanilla community good or not good?
    cause if its good, being able to police eachother should be no problem right?
    if its not good then... well those who abuse will be punished.

and nah the silencing is fine.
    but if that dc bug (if it is a bug) is still part, nah fix that shit.